F-35C progress?

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II

by f22enthusiast » 26 Mar 2009, 15:47

Does anyone have any info on the progress of the first F-35C?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by energo » 15 Apr 2009, 22:32

f22enthusiast wrote:Does anyone have any info on the progress of the first F-35C?

Status per. April 15 from Lockheed Martin:

"The first F-35C (CF-1) is in final assembly (on the moving line) and is expected to enter flight test in the fourth quarter of this year. While flight-test schedules can be pushed and pulled by any number of events or circumstances, our current projections show that the start of F-35C flight testing will remain in the fourth quarter, but will likely be near the end of the quarter because of parts deliveries. This schedule still supports the overall flight test plan and the on-time Initial Operational Capability date for the Navy's F-35C, planned for 2015.”

B. Bolsøy
Oslo

Banned

by geogen » 16 Apr 2009, 04:29

What I'd love to hear LockMart announce in press release:

:cheers: :thumb: :cheers: :thumb: :cheers: :thumb:

"While we fully expect USN to pursue timely F-35C procurement, per full F-35 program schedule as expected over the 30 yr estimate... just in case, we're starting an 'in-house' development of a joint USAF/USN FB-22 prototype, which could not only serve as viable alternative to NGB, if Congress/USAF so chooses, but could also serve as alternative to F-35C as a much longer-ranged, heavily payloaded Intercept/strike/EA VLO asset for Navy. We realize that in such a hypothetical decision, a Naval shortfall for recapitalization would exist similar to that of USAF, so we would fully anticipate further F/A-18E/F/G acquisition until naval FB/EA-22 could become IOC along with UCAS-D, around 2020."

:whistle:
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

by 07763 » 16 Apr 2009, 16:46

geogen wrote:What I'd love to hear LockMart announce in press release:

"While we fully expect USN to pursue timely F-35C procurement, per full F-35 program schedule as expected over the 30 yr estimate... just in case, we're starting an 'in-house' development of a joint USAF/USN FB-22 prototype, which could not only serve as viable alternative to NGB, if Congress/USAF so chooses, but could also serve as alternative to F-35C as a much longer-ranged, heavily payloaded Intercept/strike/EA VLO asset for Navy. We realize that in such a hypothetical decision, a Naval shortfall for recapitalization would exist similar to that of USAF, so we would fully anticipate further F/A-18E/F/G acquisition until naval FB/EA-22 could become IOC along with UCAS-D, around 2020."

:whistle:

There will never be a navel F-22 or an FB-22 because Obama wants to spend trillions on so called "stimulus" and wont let the USAF buy more of just the regular F-22s past 187. They even canceled the new bomber for the air force by 2018.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 16 Apr 2009, 21:06

navel F-22

Stealth Belly?

:lmao:

Sorry, off my meds- could use some vodka too.
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by cola » 31 May 2009, 07:24

There will never be a navel F-22 or an FB-22 because Obama wants to spend trillions on so called "stimulus" and wont let the USAF buy more of just the regular F-22s past 187. They even canceled the new bomber for the air force by 2018.

Yes I agree. Obama should tell WallMart, sorry LockMart, to build more planes.
The trouble is I don't think Obama buys in LockMart, sorry WallMart. Anyway, if he orders a new butch, he should tell guys in LockMart to paint them ultra marine with red and white flowers. I hear that pattern is a highlight of spring/2009 collection.

Cheers, Cola
Last edited by cola on 31 May 2009, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 31 May 2009, 09:13

"Stealth Belly" yeah and it is full of fluff! :roll:
Last edited by spazsinbad on 01 Jun 2009, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

by jetnerd » 01 Jun 2009, 06:03

Does anyone have any early images of CF-1? The last image I saw was of its center fuselage at the factory. I am ultimately curious to see a C model next to an A and B model to see the larger wings plus be able to see the more subtle differences as well.

And, does anyone know the approximate date of the next rollout? Is it AF-2? And will all upcoming rollouts have mission avionics fully installed (i.e. navigation & other ops via the "demon" helmet)? I have seen AA-1, BF-1, BF-2, AF-1, and have seen photos of BF-2 in flight, and would think AF-1 would be flying by now, since that was maybe 2 months ago..... it would seem to me that the factory is only going to spit out the new jets with increasing speed & efficiency, so we ought to be due for some new rollouts.

Sorry for all the questions. I am very excited about the progress of F-35 assembly and testing, and can't wait for each new milestone.

- Jetnerd

by nam11b » 01 Jun 2009, 16:34

CF-1 is still on the line right now and as of thursday, it had both wings folded up. Pretty cool looking!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Tinito_16 » 01 Jun 2009, 20:24

I wonder how the stealth coatings will hold up under regular Navy use... The F-22 has had some MC problems because of the coatings, and we're talking about 3rd gen stealth materials still having problems, they have to be fixed often and this takes quite a bit of time from what I understand. My guess is the Navy will try to have most F-35's under the deck so they don't get as much sea spray which could degrade stealth performance rapidly. Not to mention that moisture made F-117 show up on radar (not sure on that one but I've heard it more than once...)
"Like the coldest winter chill, heaven beside you...hell within" Alice In Chains

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 01 Jun 2009, 22:29

There was a Navy briefing last year that stated that the F-35C could operate for 70+ hours of Carrier Ops without a reduction in RCS.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."