BF-1 Photos

Discuss photos, special paintschemes and serial numbers of the F-35
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

LMAggie

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 07:43

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:00

A lot of the removable parts such as control surfaces, doors, covers, etc. are painted separately from the main body of the aircraft. You can tell from the pictures that Yoram777 posted that they were painted before BF-1 itself went to paint. So rather than having painted doors in the way during final finishes, they took them off. The IPP exhaust location is different between the variants, based on preferences between services. Checksixx, I suppose you're talking about the big red can? Have no clue; was hoping some of you flightline junkies would know...
“Its not the critic who counts..The credit belongs to the man who does actually strive to do the deeds..”
Offline

ArrowHawk

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 38
  • Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 21:59

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:02

Looks better without the "barn door" nose gear door? Oh to be a young engineer again. Well, in my 20s.
Offline

checksixx

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1525
  • Joined: 20 Jul 2005, 04:28
  • Location: Langley AFB, VA

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:22

LMAggie wrote:Checksixx, I suppose you're talking about the big red can? Have no clue; was hoping some of you flightline junkies would know...


Nope...red can is most likely for an engine fuel drain that is located there. I'm talking about the intake looking thing on the top side of the starboard engine air intake.
Offline

checksixx

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1525
  • Joined: 20 Jul 2005, 04:28
  • Location: Langley AFB, VA

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:25

BTW...the A model has it also. Been trying to figure out what it is for some time now.
Offline

VarkVet

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1449
  • Joined: 30 Oct 2006, 04:31

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:36

checksixx wrote:This isn't AA-1. The cofig for the IPP exhaust is different...but...there is something much more interesting and mysterious visible. I'll wait a bit and see if anyone else has noticed it.


:shrug:

The engine ain't out and it's not on Jaxs?
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline
Offline

dwightlooi

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1170
  • Joined: 02 Aug 2006, 00:14

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:41

VarkVet wrote:
checksixx wrote:This isn't AA-1. The cofig for the IPP exhaust is different...but...there is something much more interesting and mysterious visible. I'll wait a bit and see if anyone else has noticed it.


:shrug:

The engine ain't out and it's not on Jaxs?


Do you mean the DAS aperture windows on above the chin EOTS housing? Or the notably smaller vertical tails?
Offline

checksixx

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1525
  • Joined: 20 Jul 2005, 04:28
  • Location: Langley AFB, VA

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:45

I've already stated what I'm looking at...read the thread before replying.
Offline

ArrowHawk

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 38
  • Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 21:59

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:45

No, he means right about the starboard intake. The "opening" is rather small. Kind of hard to see unless you're really looking for it.

Auxillary cooling for computers or the such. At first I thought it was a gun port or something but the STOVL version won't have an internal gun, correct?
Offline

checksixx

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1525
  • Joined: 20 Jul 2005, 04:28
  • Location: Langley AFB, VA

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:46

That's AUX cooling? Or are you guessing?
Offline

ArrowHawk

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 38
  • Joined: 20 Dec 2004, 21:59

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:48

Oops. Yeah, just guessing. Should have put a question mark after that statement. Sorry.
Offline

LMAggie

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 07:43

Unread post02 May 2008, 01:51

checksixx wrote:
LMAggie wrote:Checksixx, I suppose you're talking about the big red can? Have no clue; was hoping some of you flightline junkies would know...


Nope...red can is most likely for an engine fuel drain that is located there. I'm talking about the intake looking thing on the top side of the starboard engine air intake.


Oh, you're looking at a different photo. Well it's an air intake for something. I'll leave the rest to LM communications to explain. lol
“Its not the critic who counts..The credit belongs to the man who does actually strive to do the deeds..”
Offline

AeroG33k

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 21 Jan 2008, 20:49

Unread post02 May 2008, 02:29

A wild guess could be that it's where the pitot tube and other environmental sensors are located for stealth purposes...but don't ask me how they got the necessary separation from the boundary layer in there... (I *think* the F-22 simply has a small pitot-static tube on the side but I'm not sure).

Of course, it could also be the air intake to cool the flux capacitor which powers the mind control laser system. :whistle:
Offline

LMAggie

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 07:43

Unread post02 May 2008, 03:16

AeroG33k wrote:A wild guess could be that it's where the pitot tube and other environmental sensors are located for stealth purposes...but don't ask me how they got the necessary separation from the boundary layer in there... (I *think* the F-22 simply has a small pitot-static tube on the side but I'm not sure).

Of course, it could also be the air intake to cool the flux capacitor which powers the mind control laser system. :whistle:


The air data sensors (no pitot tubes on production aircraft) are near the nose of the aircraft where the boundary layer is small. Flux capacitors are optional...
“Its not the critic who counts..The credit belongs to the man who does actually strive to do the deeds..”
Offline

elp

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3143
  • Joined: 23 Sep 2003, 20:08

Unread post02 May 2008, 11:34

Thanks for posting LMA !
- ELP -
Offline

msupepper

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: 13 Sep 2006, 20:55

Unread post12 May 2008, 16:54

checksixx wrote:Nope...red can is most likely for an engine fuel drain that is located there. I'm talking about the intake looking thing on the top side of the starboard engine air intake.

It took some digging through one of my JSF specs, but I found it. It is the Air Cooled Fuel Cooler (ACFC) heat exchanger bay.
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 Spotting & Photography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests