Pentagon Develops F-35's 4th Generation Software

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 29 May 2015, 23:32

I seem to remember a more recent version of this chart.

Anyone remember where it is?

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 29 May 2015, 23:33

SpudmanWP wrote:I seem to remember a more recent version of this chart.

Anyone remember where it is?

4A/B no longer relevant.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 29 May 2015, 23:44

In what way?

I know they are talking about 4.1/2/3/4 (or 4.a/b/c/d if you will.

I was just looking for a more recent chart (showing the Block 4 breakdown and timeline) from a PDF/PPT that I could swear came out within the last few months.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 30 May 2015, 00:01

SpudmanWP wrote:In what way?

I know they are talking about 4.1/2/3/4 (or 4.a/b/c/d if you will.

I was just looking for a more recent chart (showing the Block 4 breakdown and timeline) from a PDF/PPT that I could swear came out within the last few months.

There is no more 4A/B. Block 4 is in increments -- some are SW only (e.g. 4.1) -- and some are HW and SW. There is no 4B after 4.4.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 30 May 2015, 00:04

I realize that they went to a 4.1/2/3/4 schema.

I was just looking for an updated chart showing the 4.1/2/3/4 timeline in a similar fashion that the 4.A/B chart shows in the above FY2015 Budget Doc.

by gideonic » 07 Jul 2017, 22:14

Didn't find any newer suitable threads, so here goes:

Colorado Engineering to develop GPUs for F-35 Block 4 radar

This effort is to design, fabricate and test GPUs paired with a supporting processor infrastructure compatible with advanced Block 4 radar requirements of the F-35.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... 51f519c3d1

It's the first source I've seen so far, that confirms that F-35 will also use GPUs on top of FPGAs.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 07 Jul 2017, 22:22

The F-35 has always had GPUs

Each display is controlled by an independent computer and graphical processor unit (GPU) which must be able to function stand-alone, if necessary. The move from three displays to two means one less computer and GPU is available for rendering PVI.

http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MICRO/ ... 1-2330.pdf

There are plans to add GPUs (if they are not there already) to the F-35's radar to help with processing radar data.

Officials of the Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division in Lakehurst, N.J., announced a $3 million contract to Colorado Engineering last week to design, fabricate and test graphics processing units (GPUs) paired with a supporting processor infrastructure that are compatible with the F-35's Block 4 radar.

General-purpose graphics processing (GPGPU) is becoming the cornerstone of digital signal processing in aerospace and defense applications like radar and sonar signal processing, image processing, hyperspectral sensor imaging, signals intelligence, electronic warfare, and persistent surveillance.
The GPGPU began life in the last decade as a graphics-processing engine aimed at high-end computer gaming, yet in recent years has emerged as a powerful massively parallel processor. It lends itself to complex floating-point processing, and is easy enough to program to appeal to a broad range of military embedded systems.
The primary designers of GPGPU chips in the U.S. today are NVIDIA Corp. in Santa Clara, Calif., and Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) in Sunnyvale, Calif.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articl ... gpgpu.html

by gideonic » 08 Jul 2017, 06:38

Yes, I should have been more specific. Obviously it has had GPUs for rendering, but AFAIK not for computing (GPGPU processing radar data, etc)

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 08 Jul 2017, 10:29

.....Big SAR should be well worth waiting for, with the high definition radar imagery for ISR and ground targeting.
:)

...with more processing power and improving displays, it should lead to better targeting identification and/or better weapons selections options (right size hammer for the job).
:wink:

Previous