Advanced Fusion in 5th Gen Fighters on Combat Capability

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Nov 2013, 10:46

The Impact of Advanced Fusion in 5th Generation Fighters on Combat Capability 30 Oct 2013 Michael Skaff, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company
"...The Fusion Engine Approach
The third model is what characterizes fifth generation fighters.

This is too often confused with stealth, but really is about stealth enablement for a flying fusion engine.

Advanced sensor fusion in 5th generation fighters performs three distinct functions: build the picture, task the sensors, then communicate the result.

Notice there is an extremely tight control and performance feedback loop being executed by the advanced sensor fusion engine.

This loop essentially isolates the pilot from the drudgery of controlling and monitoring the individual sensors.

The output from the advanced fusion engine is a picture of battlespace. It is designed to be easily interpreted by the pilot so that he can act quickly and decisively.

Remember, the dominant will exercise his OODA loop more quickly than his opponent.

The picture is the most visible part, but there is much going on behind the scene.

Automatic sensor control is giving time back to the pilot and the system is automatically communicating results with the other aircraft on the link.

This is time needed to make decisions and act upon the situation....

http://www.sldinfo.com/the-impact-of-ad ... apability/

A TON of stuff in this article best read at source - of course....

"...A PDF version of this article can be downloaded here:
http://www.sldinfo.com/wp-content/uploa ... Fusion.pdf (0.5Mb)

Editor’s Note: In the video at the beginning of the article, Lt. Col. Berke, the only F-22 and F-35 in existence, discusses his view of the 5th generation experience highlighted by Skaff. Berke has more than 2800 flight hours in F-18s, F-16s, F-22s and F-35s and is a consumer of the work which Skaff and his team have done in shaping the fusion engine cockpit.

Without ever having met Skaff, Berke mentioned, during the interview in August 2012, that “I don’t know who designed the F-35 cockpit, but he is a genius.”"

It is a real shame that this website provides such poor graphics to illustrate (low quality) and no proof reading it seems. It is as if they do not care what the output quality is at all. Stranger than strange indeed.

http://www.sldinfo.com/wp-content/uploa ... gure-9.jpg
Attachments
F-35sensorFusion.gif

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 03 Nov 2013, 02:25

The article may be a bit dated but informs on the complex architecture underlying the F-35 sensor fusion and other advanced capabilities. Significant lessons learned and applied from the Raptor.
http://www.militaryaerospace.com/topics ... m?m_n=true

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 03 Nov 2013, 02:45

I do not know about other users but the mobile example of the page is impossible to view in IE10 in Win8 so here is a PDF of the same article above:

PDF 1.4Mb

http://content.ebscohost.com/pdf13_15/p ... yx44Dt6fIA

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 04 Nov 2013, 02:28

Based on the link, some technical info on the hardware responsible for the magical fusion..
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-11-02-09-29-16.png
Screenshot_2013-11-02-09-28-05.png
Screenshot_2013-11-04-07-18-07.png
Screenshot_2013-11-02-09-39-29.png

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 04 Oct 2017, 19:24

Continuation.
F-35 Formation4-8.png

F-35 Formation4-9.png

F-35 Formation4-10.png

F-35 Formation4-11.png

F-35 Formation4-12.png

F-35 Formation4-13.png

F-35 Formation4-14.png

Made to PDF.
F-35 Sensor Fusion Combination.pdf
(2.32 MiB) Downloaded 936 times

Description about other Fusion.
http://www.sldinfo.com/understanding-th ... -aircraft/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 05 Oct 2017, 01:37

^ Example of difference between data and information...
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 06 Oct 2017, 16:50

Corrected 10 lines cut. (There were 5 ①①① and 5 ②②② in the two F-35 formation.) That's total 54336 rows.
I'm sorry... :oops:
F-35 Sensor Fusion Combination2.png

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 06 Oct 2017, 19:13

rheonomic wrote:^ Example of difference between data and information...

Agreed. I reported it for a moderator to delete, if Doge can't edit it. If not ... I guess I could spam the thread until a new page rolls over. It (the spam) wouldn't be any worse than now, trying scroll past that post to follow the thread.
:D :D
BP

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Oct 2017, 19:43

Maybe this 'sensors fused in F-35' graphic will do the roll over trick from:
http://www.slideshare.net/robbinlaird/c ... or-the-f35 (PDF 1.1Mb) ATTACHED BELOW
"...5th gen advanced fusion has three key features:
1) a single integrated picture of battlespace,
2) automatic sensor tasking, and
3) connectivity in order to share the picture.

• These three key elements are the keys to providing extreme situational awareness (SA) while managing workload (WL). SA and WL contribute directly to increased lethality, greater survivability, and safety. Advanced sensor fusion is one of the hallmarks of the 5th generation..."
Attachments
combatsystemsfusionengine-120421073455-phpapp02.pdf
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 860 times
F-35sensorFusion.gif

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 06 Oct 2017, 23:29

rheonomic wrote:

blindpilot wrote:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! :oops: I posted too much images...
And, I'm in a situation where I can not edit and delete myself...
I'm ashamed of myself, There seems to be no way but to leave it to the administrator...

spazsinbad wrote:

Thank you for the image and explanation of the easy-to-understand F-35 fusion! :thanks:

I wanted to know how many combinations of individual sensors of F-35s was, so I tried to investigate it...
But, It seems that it was not so good idea and a try... (It was long, big and many, And It seems that it was too difficult for me to do it...)

I apologize for the trouble... :oops: :oops:

by viper12 » 07 Oct 2017, 01:10

This was a shamefur dispray. You should commit sudoku ! :mrgreen:

Anyway, isn't there a simple equation to get the number of rows or pairs ? I suppose it should have some kind of factorials.
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 07 Oct 2017, 01:51

I'm not too sure about how to use factorials for that. Factorials are used for permutations and combinations of a set of objects, and permutations factor in the order of the objects, so we can rule that out. Combinations have that easy form of nCr = n!/[(n-r)! * r!]. I would guess that it would be multiplication between different planes after the original calculation,but that would imply it's simple mixture of "X has this many, Y has this many, so X*Y is total number of possibilities.This problem is way harder than that. So you have 31 combinations for lone f-35 (strange that it's a random number like that). You could also have something like plane X (Das + EOTS) + plane Y (EW + CNI) as a possibility, so there are a ton of combinations. I would think that both planes would be sharing all available sensor feeds and not limiting themselves to one or two sensors being shared. I'm too lazy and dumb to try to figure this out right now.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 07 Oct 2017, 18:27

viper12 wrote:Anyway, isn't there a simple equation to get the number of rows or pairs ? I suppose it should have some kind of factorials.

Yeah, this is what combinatorics is for.

As far as multiple aircraft, my guess is that they aren't sharing sensor data; that would use up too much bandwidth. More likely they share tracks that the individual fusion engines come up with and then fuse these at a higher level.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 08 Oct 2017, 00:47

rheonomic wrote:
As far as multiple aircraft, my guess is that they aren't sharing sensor data; that would use up too much bandwidth. More likely they share tracks that the individual fusion engines come up with and then fuse these at a higher level.

Not an unreasonable assumption IMO. The sheer volume of raw sensor data being shared by MADL might result in latency challenges otherwise. I also noticed that the graphic Spaz shared depicts the Offboard MADL link in purple instead of a rainbow of multi-sensor inputs.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 08 Oct 2017, 01:18

Or maybe the fusion engines cue individual sensors in other aircraft as necessary to fill in any gaps needed to generate a COP? So just the 'missing' sensor data is transmitted over MADL.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Next