USAF F-35B Pilots Go to Sea with VMFA-122

Variants for different customers or mission profiles
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2716
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 23456
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 00:16

I wonder what happened with the RAAF F-35B exchange pilot promised by LtGen 'Dog' Davis USMC a few years ago now.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5800
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 00:47

Honestly, what so special about this??? As exchange duty between the services and even foreign militaries is fairly common.....
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2716
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 01:03

Corsair1963 wrote:Honestly, what so special about this??? As exchange duty between the services and even foreign militaries is fairly common.....


Common? USAF exchange pilots are rare animals in USMC STOVL community. IIRC not since early AV-8A, ie the 70s, and maybe going back to the Kestrel evaluation in the 60s.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5436
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 02:38

I wonder if the USAF will ever end up with some Bs.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5800
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 03:44

quicksilver wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Honestly, what so special about this??? As exchange duty between the services and even foreign militaries is fairly common.....


Common? USAF exchange pilots are rare animals in USMC STOVL community. IIRC not since early AV-8A, ie the 70s, and maybe going back to the Kestrel evaluation in the 60s.



I was of course talking in "general terms". As exchange pilot assignments happen all of the time...


For example before Lt. Col. David "Chip" Berke (Ret) was the CO of F-35B Squadron (VMFAT-501). He flew as an exchange pilot with the USAF on F-22A's.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5800
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 03:46

sferrin wrote:I wonder if the USAF will ever end up with some Bs.



Short-term no long-term possible........
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2716
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 03:57

Corsair1963 wrote:
quicksilver wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Honestly, what so special about this??? As exchange duty between the services and even foreign militaries is fairly common.....


Common? USAF exchange pilots are rare animals in USMC STOVL community. IIRC not since early AV-8A, ie the 70s, and maybe going back to the Kestrel evaluation in the 60s.



I was of course talking in "general terms". As exchange pilot assignments happen all of the time...


For example before Lt. Col. David "Chip" Berke (Ret) was the CO of F-35B Squadron (VMFAT-501). He flew as an exchange pilot with the USAF on F-22A's.


Thanks for the insight.
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1325
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 04:47

Are we saying here the USAF is discerning....or reluctant? :D
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2716
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 04:56

Blue suiter killed in an RAF GR1 in 1971; probably the latter.
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1325
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 05:11

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55593

Doesn't seem like it had anything to do with the pilot being USAF.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 23456
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 05:12

Couldn't be done it seems (not surprising given the complete lack of interest by the RAAF most likely): PEP/TED TALK?
Personnel Exchange Program (PEP)

"The Marine Corps Foreign Personnel Exchange Program (MCFPEP) is a means of continuing a long-term, selectively visible presence and association among military counterparts to enhance worldwide security cooperation...."

--------- Country ---------------- Billet

------------------- Australia
-------------------- ARH Tiger Exchange
-------------------- F/A-18 Pilot Exchange
-------------------- F-35 Maintenance Officer Exchange
-------------------- Air Support Control Officer Exchange...."

Source: https://www.aviation.marines.mil/Branch ... -Exchange/
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5800
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 06:42

Remember, this......


Finnish fighter pilot lands on US aircraft carrier

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/y ... carrier-2/
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 23456
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 08:19

RAAF Hornet Exchange Pilots with USMC / USMC Hornet Pilots Flying with RAAF Hornets - neither fly from any carriers. Specifically RAAF Hornet Pilots flying with USMC Squadrons DO NOT fly from carriers so I guess they are not doing so now.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2716
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 11:32

outlaw162 wrote:https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55593

Doesn't seem like it had anything to do with the pilot being USAF.


Has a blue suiter flown an operational Harrier anywhere in the world since then? Not a DT or OT guy; on an operational exchange?

‘Reluctant’ I’d say. Not without justification, but ‘reluctant‘ nonetheless.
Next

Return to F-35 Variants and Missions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests