BAF intercepting Russian Jets 2019

Discuss F-16 events, special versions and paintschemes, serial numbers, ...
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 04 Oct 2019, 18:27

After one month of safeguarding the Baltic airspace, the Belgian Air Force conducted already 109 sorties totaling 191 flying hours. Our F16 aircraft and crew were already scrambled 16 times and performed 8 interceptions. Yesterday our pilots encountered an Su-34 and Su-24. Belgian Air Force

Su-34 taken from BAF F-16AM-1.png
Su-34 ( Belgian Air Force)
Su-34 taken from BAF F-16AM-1.png (69.19 KiB) Viewed 14390 times

Su-34 taken from BAF F-16AM-2.png
Su-34 (Belgian Air Force)
Su-34 taken from BAF F-16AM-2.png (296.65 KiB) Viewed 14390 times

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jetblast16 » 04 Oct 2019, 23:34

Lock On
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 05 Oct 2019, 13:06

The heat signature at the top center of the fuselage with each engine intake is quite interesting.

Is that heat signature from the air getting slowed down and/or being compressed?
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 05 Oct 2019, 17:02

awsome wrote:Just making the point that the above pics are not an impressive feat for a first world air force...

Nothing to do with why it was posted more that we don't often see FLIR images of Su-34s. They are from a Targeting Pod on an F-16AM

FYI - the system the Houthis show in the video is described as a US Made FLIR Systems Ultra 8500.
https://www.flir.com/support/products/u ... #Resources

I did mention it another thread but when you say Houthi Rebels you mean Yemen basically because they controlled nearly all of it in 2015 and thus they have access to a lot if not most of the countries military expertise.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 05 Oct 2019, 20:29

botsing wrote:The heat signature at the top center of the fuselage with each engine intake is quite interesting.

Is that heat signature from the air getting slowed down and/or being compressed?

IIRC that part of the main Flanker Family is unpainted steel
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 05 Oct 2019, 22:43

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
botsing wrote:The heat signature at the top center of the fuselage with each engine intake is quite interesting.

IIRC that part of the main Flanker Family is unpainted steel

Very interesting, so two things:

1. In other parts is the paint actually able to hide such a big difference in heat signature or are there other reasons why these "unpainted steel" parts are radiating so much? Like is this possibly due to the steel being used as a heat conductor/radiator?

2. That seems to be only the intake part of the engine, I never knew or would have guessed that part to be so relatively hot.

by juretrn » 06 Oct 2019, 22:48

botsing wrote:Very interesting, so two things:

1. In other parts is the paint actually able to hide such a big difference in heat signature or are there other reasons why these "unpainted steel" parts are radiating so much? Like is this possibly due to the steel being used as a heat conductor/radiator?

2. That seems to be only the intake part of the engine, I never knew or would have guessed that part to be so relatively hot.

In my (fairly limited TBH) experience with IR, the sensor might be calibrated in such a way that unpainted surfaces stand out.
I also noticed that unpainted metallic surfaces reflect a lot of ambient IR giving completely irrelevant temperature measurements. Just a few thoughts.
Russia stronk

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 07 Oct 2019, 15:35

juretrn wrote:In my (fairly limited TBH) experience with IR, the sensor might be calibrated in such a way that unpainted surfaces stand out.
I also noticed that unpainted metallic surfaces reflect a lot of ambient IR giving completely irrelevant temperature measurements. Just a few thoughts.

Thank you for your answer, that gives me new insights into IR sensors.

by boilermaker » 08 Oct 2019, 01:46

awsome wrote:
botsing wrote:
awsome wrote:Impressive! Almost as advanced as the Houthi rebels... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsbG4WX2R8

Proving what? That you do not understand that in that video the missile did not hit the F-15 and therefore the F-15 was not shot down at all?

Besides what has that video got to do with this thread, are you trying to derail another thread with misinformation?

Don't be mad bro... the Houthis got a kinetic strike only with no warhead detonation. That is why the Eagle survived. Just making the point that the above pics are not an impressive feat for a first world air force...

Poor flying procedure from the pilot. When a IR missile goes at you, dont start your afterburner, but go cold and drop flares while turning for the flares to stand between missile and aircraft.

That F-15 was glowing beyond anything those flares could cover. Ridiculous.