Air Force announces Guard locations for F-35A, F-15EX

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1494
  • Joined: 28 Feb 2008, 02:33

Unread post19 Aug 2020, 20:46

As I recall the second seat was vacant for future use when biggaBettaFings


What can they possibly think they'll come up with....R2D2 or a portly, highly intelligent WSO? (another oxymoron?)

One possible alternative would be a fuel tank. :mrgreen: You don't have to check six while running down a hijacked airliner or drug runner....

I would think these would be continental air defense/air sovereignty aircraft, unlikely to be expeditionary....unlike the F-35.

edit: We'll see if there is any air-to-ground in the Klamath syllabus.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4112
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post20 Aug 2020, 11:49

Corsair1963 wrote:Westfield Barnes Air National Guard unit eyed as possible F-35 Joint Strike Fighter base




shares


By Cynthia G. Simison | csimison@repub.com

The Air National Guard’s 104th Fighter Wing at Barnes Regional Airport is again in the running for upgrade to a squadron of F-35A Joint Strike Fighter aircraft.

The Guard base, now home to a fleet of F-15 Eagles that serve as the primary air defense unit for the Northeast, will undergo an “on-the-ground site survey” by the Air Force to determine if the 104th meets the operational requirements needed for the new aircraft. The survey will also assess potential impacts, infrastructure and manpower needs, the Air Force announced................

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/08/w ... _xHskcahaM


Wow, many thanks for this...

A-10's flew from Barnes and graced this place for almost 30 years. Doubly so given a few miles south another unit at Bradley Field in CT flew A-10's too. I live approximately halfway between both, so it was A-10's everywhere you looked while I was growing up. We also have Westover AFRB in MA, just a few miles from Barnes. They've started flying C-5A's in1988, and if I'm not mistaken are now flying C-5M's. Their new engines are a lot quieter, I can tell you that! Westover also has the longest runway in the Northeast, and at one time was an alternate space shuttle landing site. What comes after the C-5M then, will be intersting. Hopefully another large airframe, perhaps even... the B-21?

When Barnes got its F-15's in 2007, it was a dream come true. However, new F-35's or F-15EX's will top even that. I'm perplexed though, why they're even looking at the F-35. Flying homeland security missions seems to be a waste of its best capabilities, unless of course the units mission changes too.

In any case, sounds like we'll be getting either the F-35A or the F-15EX. Not a bad place to be... :)
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4112
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post20 Aug 2020, 12:00

outlaw162 wrote:
As I recall the second seat was vacant for future use when biggaBettaFings


What can they possibly think they'll come up with....R2D2 or a portly, highly intelligent WSO? (another oxymoron?)

One possible alternative would be a fuel tank. :mrgreen: You don't have to check six while running down a hijacked airliner or drug runner....

I would think these would be continental air defense/air sovereignty aircraft, unlikely to be expeditionary....unlike the F-35.

edit: We'll see if there is any air-to-ground in the Klamath syllabus.


The 2 seat model is currently what's in production for Quatar, so that's what they're buying. Qualifying a single seat F-15CX (or what they were calling the CX) would take additional time. Fuel tank back there was my guess too, as it would be nice to get some fuel back and/or carry more than the F-15C's "stock" 13,500 internal. I'm not sure how much they could squeeze in there, but anything would probably be welcomed.

If I were Boeing, I'd make it "modular"... just in case a GIB is needed. You know, to control/fire/guide that "hypothetical" 7,000lb hypersonic weapon Boeing let "slip"... :)
Offline

wolfpak

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 145
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post20 Aug 2020, 16:54

Floating the idea of a move from Fresno to Lemoore and the on site survey at Barnes ties neatly into the rumblings I've heard for the last several years of a post 2021 BRAC. If you're unit is in a facility leased from a municipality or airport authority and or has no environmental hazards that require clean-up you'll be on the bubble for closure. Actually think fighter units will do better than airlift. Don't know about tankers. Security requirements for the F-35 may be the other reason for the proposed move.

As for the F-15EX with 144 aircraft being procured and a nominal squadron size of 24 aircraft that gives you just 6 units or 8 with 18 jets. So with two in Oregon, one at Barnes that leaves you with 3 for the two units at Kadena and one at Lakenheath. New Orleans, Fresno and Jacksonville I guess would get F-35's. Of course this is just speculation on my part. I can't see the AF letting the F-15EX ruin the chances of upgrading active duty units to the NGAD as soon as practical.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4112
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post21 Aug 2020, 17:48

wolfpak wrote:Floating the idea of a move from Fresno to Lemoore and the on site survey at Barnes ties neatly into the rumblings I've heard for the last several years of a post 2021 BRAC. If you're unit is in a facility leased from a municipality or airport authority and or has no environmental hazards that require clean-up you'll be on the bubble for closure. Actually think fighter units will do better than airlift. Don't know about tankers. Security requirements for the F-35 may be the other reason for the proposed move.

As for the F-15EX with 144 aircraft being procured and a nominal squadron size of 24 aircraft that gives you just 6 units or 8 with 18 jets. So with two in Oregon, one at Barnes that leaves you with 3 for the two units at Kadena and one at Lakenheath. New Orleans, Fresno and Jacksonville I guess would get F-35's. Of course this is just speculation on my part. I can't see the AF letting the F-15EX ruin the chances of upgrading active duty units to the NGAD as soon as practical.


Can't quite follow what you're saying about rumblings/BRAC.... are you saying Barnes is at risk for closure?
Offline

wolfpak

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 145
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post21 Aug 2020, 20:20

From what I heard they are studying the reserve component bases to determine both the positive and negative attributes of each one. Once it's done for all the bases they will rank them and determine which ones should be closed. Probably will look at encroachment, airspace requirements, ability to recruit, etc.. No way of knowing where Barnes is in that.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4112
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post24 Aug 2020, 17:25

wolfpak wrote:From what I heard they are studying the reserve component bases to determine both the positive and negative attributes of each one. Once it's done for all the bases they will rank them and determine which ones should be closed. Probably will look at encroachment, airspace requirements, ability to recruit, etc.. No way of knowing where Barnes is in that.


I often wondered why they operate out of Barnes, when a few towns away is Westover AFRB. A runway more than 11,000 feet long, it's the longest in all of New England. If memory serves, it was an alternate (emergency) space shuttle landing site. The base itself is massive, a former SAC base and plenty of additional capacity. By land area, it might be the largest Air Force Base in the country. They used to fly 16 C-5A's out of there, but I think it's down to just 8 C-5M's now.

Why Barnes' 18 F-15's don't operate out of there, I have no idea. There must be something...
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6852
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post25 Aug 2020, 00:54

mixelflick wrote:
wolfpak wrote:From what I heard they are studying the reserve component bases to determine both the positive and negative attributes of each one. Once it's done for all the bases they will rank them and determine which ones should be closed. Probably will look at encroachment, airspace requirements, ability to recruit, etc.. No way of knowing where Barnes is in that.


I often wondered why they operate out of Barnes, when a few towns away is Westover AFRB. A runway more than 11,000 feet long, it's the longest in all of New England. If memory serves, it was an alternate (emergency) space shuttle landing site. The base itself is massive, a former SAC base and plenty of additional capacity. By land area, it might be the largest Air Force Base in the country. They used to fly 16 C-5A's out of there, but I think it's down to just 8 C-5M's now.

Why Barnes' 18 F-15's don't operate out of there, I have no idea. There must be something...



Likely, politics.....
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6852
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post25 Aug 2020, 00:57

wolfpak wrote:Floating the idea of a move from Fresno to Lemoore and the on site survey at Barnes ties neatly into the rumblings I've heard for the last several years of a post 2021 BRAC. If you're unit is in a facility leased from a municipality or airport authority and or has no environmental hazards that require clean-up you'll be on the bubble for closure. Actually think fighter units will do better than airlift. Don't know about tankers. Security requirements for the F-35 may be the other reason for the proposed move.

As for the F-15EX with 144 aircraft being procured and a nominal squadron size of 24 aircraft that gives you just 6 units or 8 with 18 jets. So with two in Oregon, one at Barnes that leaves you with 3 for the two units at Kadena and one at Lakenheath. New Orleans, Fresno and Jacksonville I guess would get F-35's. Of course this is just speculation on my part. I can't see the AF letting the F-15EX ruin the chances of upgrading active duty units to the NGAD as soon as practical.


I have my doubts that Lakenheath and Kadena will get the F-15EX. Especially, with some ANG Units already getting the F-35A.
Previous

Return to F-35 Units

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest