Incoming SecDef Mattis Backs F-35 Program Criticize by Trump

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Jan 2017, 10:25

Incoming Secretary of Defense Mattis Backs F-35 Program Criticized by Trump
03 Jan 2017 FighterSweep

"...Today we have word that his incoming Secretary of Defense, Retired Marine Corps General James Mattis supports the [F-35] program with a “clear commitment” to its continuation.

Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut and a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee said he personally met with Mattis and was encouraged by his support for the F-35....

..."Blumenthal commented in a statement on his meeting with Mattis, “I was encouraged by his clear commitment to American air superiority and the important role of the F-35 program in sustaining and enhancing it.”... Blumenthal said. – Hartford Courant

Source: https://fightersweep.com/6700/incoming- ... zed-trump/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 04 Jan 2017, 16:02

Called it
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Jan 2017, 17:53

Mattis Backs F-35 Stealth Fighter Criticized by Trump
03 Jan 2017 Richard Sisk

"Retired Marine Gen. James Mattis — Donald Trump’s choice for defense secretary — backed the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jet program recently criticized questioned by the president-elect, according to a senator who met with Mattis on Tuesday....

...Mattis has a reputation for independence and his backing of the F-35 would not be the first time that his judgment has been at odds with Trump’s...."

Source: http://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/01/03/matti ... zed-trump/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 05 Jan 2017, 01:00

Hopefully Mattis blooms in Trump's mushroom garden.

“Bloom where you are planted.”

A fellow Marine Corps officer says this was Mattis’ simple philosophy. If he didn’t like an assignment he was given, his attitude was to always do the best that he could.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Banned

by arian » 05 Jan 2017, 01:49

I wouldn't be so quick. We haven't heard Omarosa's opinion of the F-35 program yet.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 05 Jan 2017, 03:21

arian wrote:I wouldn't be so quick. We haven't heard Omarosa's opinion of the F-35 program yet.

Actually, Katrina Pierson is the aviation guru.. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Banned

by arian » 05 Jan 2017, 04:41

popcorn wrote:
arian wrote:I wouldn't be so quick. We haven't heard Omarosa's opinion of the F-35 program yet.

It's just, the best people folks. He has amazing people.

by lamashtu » 07 Jan 2017, 11:20

arian wrote:
popcorn wrote:

It's just, the best people folks. He has amazing people.

I have to imagine Trump's thought process of deciding that a Superbug used by the Navy would be adequate for _Air Force_ requirements:

"Quality means everything, just like the name 'Trump!' Look at that name 'Superhornet'! It's from the 'Super,' you know. It says that it's elegant and means 'quality'! Only the greatest, the best for our Air Force!"

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 07 Jan 2017, 21:08

lamashtu wrote:I have to imagine Trump's thought process of deciding that a Superbug used by the Navy would be adequate for _Air Force_ requirements:

"Quality means everything, just like the name 'Trump!' Look at that name 'Superhornet'! It's from the 'Super,' you know. It says that it's elegant and means 'quality'! Only the greatest, the best for our Air Force!"

LOL'd . Thank you for that!
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 07 Jan 2017, 23:19

There's an easy fix for the super thing...

Just let Mr. Trump know that the Air Force pilots are all referring to the F-35A as the Trumpet, the Marines are calling theirs the Bugle, and the Navy the Coronet.

Trump trumps Superanything, after all. Problem solved...

:mrgreen:
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Banned

by tincansailor » 09 Jan 2017, 05:40

Mattis is a smart sharp guy, and a great choice for SecDef. The worry I have is will Trump listen to his advice? Remember he likes Mattis as "Mad Dog" not as the "Warrior Monk". Trump seems to have decided that a fight over the F-35 program is where he can showcase his ability to get a better deal. He needs to show the world he's smarter then all the experts, and can beat the contractors who are ripping off the American People.

You can't pour any concrete in the greater NY area without paying off the right people. I'm sure Trump resents that he's had to deal with that. He sees the world through his limited experience. He sees LM, Boeing, or any other defense contractor as a connected guy trying to get his cut. This is at the core of Trump's fascination with dictatorships. He admires the men who over power a system, and become the guy who everyone has to give a piece of his pie to.

He want's to be Michael Corleone at the end of the first Godfather movie. Everyone has to kneel, and kiss his Ring. He says it's not personal, it's business, but it's all deeply personal.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 09 Jan 2017, 05:43

tincansailor wrote:Mattis is a smart sharp guy, and a great choice for SecDef. The worry I have is will Trump listen to his advice? Remember he likes Mattis as "Mad Dog" not as the "Warrior Monk". Trump seems to have decided that a fight over the F-35 program is where he can showcase his ability to get a better deal. He needs to show the world he's smarter then all the experts, and can beat the contractors who are ripping off the American People.

You can't pour any concrete in the greater NY area without paying off the right people. I'm sure Trump resents that he's had to deal with that. He sees the world through his limited experience. He sees LM, Boeing, or any other defense contractor as a connected guy trying to get his cut. This is at the core of Trump's fascination with dictatorships. He admires the men who over power a system, and become the guy who everyone has to give a piece of his pie to.

He want's to be Michael Corleone at the end of the first Godfather movie. Everyone has to kneel, and kiss his Ring. He says it's not personal, it's business, but it's all deeply personal.

Again with this? I'm sure he appointed Mattis just to ignore him. Thanks.
Choose Crews

by lamashtu » 09 Jan 2017, 08:54

I could see the appointment as part of an effort to get #NeverTrump FoPol guys on board that he will seriously need if he's going to get through the next 4-8 years without leaving a disastrous legacy. That said, Mattis tried to bring on Michelle Flournoy as his Deputy, though she ultimately turned the position down when she met with Trump's people in New York.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "deal" would be ramped up F-35 production (economies of scale is after all the easiest way of bringing down the cost of an individual airframe) and we see further orders from the Netherlands, Israel, et al and contracts hammered out for Finland, Saudi Arabia, and maybe even India. I think it's safe to say all this drive-by Twitter shaming by Trump, from Air Force One to F-35, is part of an effort to pander to his base that he isn't going to be throwing money at defence contractors (which he will) and eventually stock markets will eventually acclimate to his efforts of Twitter-shaming.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 09 Jan 2017, 15:06

XanderCrews wrote:
tincansailor wrote:Mattis is a smart sharp guy, and a great choice for SecDef. The worry I have is will Trump listen to his advice? Remember he likes Mattis as "Mad Dog" not as the "Warrior Monk". Trump seems to have decided that a fight over the F-35 program is where he can showcase his ability to get a better deal. He needs to show the world he's smarter then all the experts, and can beat the contractors who are ripping off the American People.

Again with this? I'm sure he appointed Mattis just to ignore him. Thanks.

No kidding. Dude loves Mattis.
"There I was. . ."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by luke_sandoz » 09 Jan 2017, 16:29

The looney tunes are coming out of the woodwork it seems.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... et-program
Attachments
IMG_6470.PNG

Next