Israel pays for additional F-35s

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by jakobs » 16 Aug 2017, 16:38

I still don't see the need for the B's.

It seems to me it would just be better to build up a network of road bases to use with the regular A's and don't have to deal with the drawbacks of the B's.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 16 Aug 2017, 16:49

It seems to me that Israel wants to deal with the POSITIVES of the F-35Bs despite your negative perceptions of the F-35B.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 16 Aug 2017, 16:51

jakobs wrote:I still don't see the need for the B's.

[cough]LHA[/cough]
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Banned

by wewuzkangz » 16 Aug 2017, 20:34

@neptune

"The stealth fighter is considered one of the most advanced aircraft in the world, capable of taking on most missile defense batteries, including the Russian S-300, which was recently acquired by Iran, and which has been used in Syria, where Israeli planes reportedly fly sorties."

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2017/03/17 ... es-second/ Israel denied the claims of any f-16s getting shot down however Libermans pissed response sort of counteracts the denial claim http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/84 ... king-twice ......Its pretty funny when I think about it reports came of f-35s destroying s-300s in march 7 than 10 later reports of s-300 downing f-16s. I have only heard of pantsir-s1, s-300 and s-400 being delivered to syria that is all.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 16 Aug 2017, 21:57

wewuzkangz wrote:Its pretty funny when I think about it reports came of f-35s destroying s-300s in march 7 than 10 later reports of s-300 downing f-16s. I have only heard of pantsir-s1, s-300 and s-400 being delivered to syria that is all.

Let me check...

* F-35 destroying S-300? No reliable sources for that.
* F-16 shot down by S-300? No reliable sources for that.
* S-400 delivered to Syria? You might mean that Russia operates one inside Syria, though knowing your posting history this probably flew over your head and you misinterpreted it.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 17 Aug 2017, 02:27

wewuzkangz wrote:@..Its pretty funny when I think about it reports came of f-35s destroying s-300s in march 7 than 10 later reports of s-300 downing f-16s. I have only heard of pantsir-s1, s-300 and s-400 being delivered to syria that is all.

It's pretty funny how you believe everything you hear and start getting contradictions
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 17 Aug 2017, 02:29

It seems to me it would just be better to build up a network of road bases to use with the regular A's and don't have to deal with the drawbacks of the B's.

Buy the B's and not have to deal with the drawbacks of road bases
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 17 Aug 2017, 04:21

Everyone has to sh*t on the B; ironically it's probably the most impressive variant in terms of the engineering required.

Isreal should buy even more. :D
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 17 Aug 2017, 07:49

Maj, Gen. Amir Eshel, former chief of IAF, says:

"Israel struck arms convoys on several enemy fronts nearly 100 times in past five years ... when Israel has a vested interest, it acts irrespective of the risks"

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.807246

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who even remotely monitors ME news. All those explosions in downtown Damascus weren't from neglect of fire safety rules.

Iran is in dire need those ROFAR 3D radars right about now.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 17 Aug 2017, 10:34

hythelday wrote:Maj, Gen. Amir Eshel, former chief of IAF, says:

"Israel struck arms convoys on several enemy fronts nearly 100 times in past five years ... when Israel has a vested interest, it acts irrespective of the risks"

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.807246

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who even remotely monitors ME news. All those explosions in downtown Damascus weren't from neglect of fire safety rules.

Iran is in dire need those ROFAR 3D radars right about now.

Iran subsequently discovered that their ROFAR 3D radars are actually shiny disco balls that shoot out feeble photons....good enough for a dance session in Studio 54 bwahahahaha :mrgreen:

by USMilFan » 18 Aug 2017, 00:03

nutshell wrote:Israel is by itself a sort of benchmark. If they buy something for their military and ask for more, then you already have a hint or two on how good the product is.

I fully agree that Israel is a reliable benchmark, especially for armchair outsiders like me who have no experience in or exposure to aviation. I only know that Israel depends on its air force for its very survival. While I find pilots like Chip Berke utterly persuasive, Israel's commitment to the F-35 is what gives me total confidence in the plane.

It is noteworthy that Israel's choice to buy F-35's implies that its forces will have abandoned its traditional doctrines of aerial warfare and embraced the revolutionary advancements brought by fifth-gen warfare concepts. This is no small thing to a country that has for decades depended on its very survival by adhering faithfully to pre-fifth-gen concepts of warfare.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by nutshell » 18 Aug 2017, 04:38

USMilFan wrote: This is no small thing to a country that has for decades depended on its very survival by adhering faithfully to pre-fifth-gen concepts of warfare.

They surely are not in the position where they could have a F104 or a legacy Hornet.
Their doctrine was always quite clean "Sheer overwhelming quality". The F35 brings them 3 things: quality,quality and quality.

For a country like mine its a god send.

I mean, we built the Cavour carrier around the massive flexibility of the Bee.

Furthermore, when you operate in hostile territory, you don't always have the luxury of bigger airstrips. So the B is nothing but the most advanced strike aircraft able to operate pretty much everywhere, even in my backyard.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 23 Aug 2017, 04:57

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... es-440473/

Israel tests F-35I refueling procedures

22 AUGUST, 2017
BY: ARIE EGOZI TEL AVIV

Israel has begun an evaluation campaign using its air force's fleet of Lockheed Martin F-35I "Adirs" to test locally developed systems and aerial refuelling procedures for the type. The trials are a key step as the air force works towards initial operational capability for its Joint Strike Fighters. Aerial refuelling tests have been conducted from Tel-Nof air base using one of the service's Boeing 707 tankers. Israel received its first of an eventual 50 of the conventional take-off and landing A-model F-35s in late 2016.
:)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by arrow-nautics » 23 Aug 2017, 05:18

jakobs wrote:I still don't see the need for the B's. It seems to me it would just be better to build up a network of road bases to use with the regular A's and don't have to deal with the drawbacks of the B's.

When you study & reflect on Israel's wars & history it makes sense they want a short range killer. There's always going to be a Golan Heights regardless off who holds it! It's always been a key strategic point. Defensively & offensively it does make sense for Israel IMO
There's an old rule among many in the fighter procurement business: "Too Early to Tell, Too Late to Stop".

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 23 Aug 2017, 13:44

arrow-nautics wrote:
jakobs wrote:I still don't see the need for the B's. It seems to me it would just be better to build up a network of road bases to use with the regular A's and don't have to deal with the drawbacks of the B's.

When you study & reflect on Israel's wars & history it makes sense they want a short range killer. There's always going to be a Golan Heights regardless off who holds it! It's always been a key strategic point. Defensively & offensively it does make sense for Israel IMO

A "short range" aircraft with longer legs than a SHornet?

People are always hitting on the F-35B for being "short range" when it has better range than most (if not all) western 4th gen aircraft (certainly if they weren't lugging around bags). It's only "short range" compared to the "-A" and "-C" models.
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

PreviousNext