Where's the best place to get F-35 / USAF CPFH numbers?

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 08 Aug 2014, 18:34

I've scoured the net and found conflicting information on CPFH for the USAF / F-35 inventory.

Is there a universally accepted or more importantly, a place to get accurate CPFH with all the juicy details?

I'vee seen ELP's and Winslow Wheeler numbers, and they are inaccurate as far as I can tell and prone to bias.

So I'm reaching out to my brethern here on where to go to get accurate USAF CPFH, cost figures, etc.

Is there a general accepted CPFH calculation, what about all the details?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 08 Aug 2014, 20:58

well, you can always take the 1.2 trillion dollar 50-year lifetime cost (R&D, production [materials and wages], maintenance, training, spares, munitions, fuel, salary of all pilots and MX crew, seriously that estimate had EVERYTHING) divided over 3,000 airframes with 6,000hrs each to get a total lifetime cost of $67,000 /hr. Fuel alone? ballpark 18,000 lb burned at 6,000 lb/hr and $1/lb of JP-8 to get $6,000/hr. So we can see that CPFH can have an 11/1 spread depending on HOW it is measured.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 09 Aug 2014, 01:13

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 09 Aug 2014, 01:44

neurotech wrote:I knew we'd talked about this before.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25110

Source is here;
http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/ ... 14_f_h.pdf

Thanks

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 31 Oct 2019, 20:37

I am posting this here because it shows up in a search for CPFH.

The 2020 RCPFH numbers have posted and I have added them to my tracking chart below. Long story short, 4th gen continues to rise (along with the F-22) and the F-35s continue to get lower.

One nice thing is that they did not "phone it in" like they seemed to have done last year where most entries just increased a little (inflation rate?).

One odd thing I found was that the F-35B/C dropped A LOT. The C is now even with the F-18E and the B is cheaper than the A. This has to be due to a unique way that the USN tracks RCPFH.

Source Link https://comptroller.defense.gov/Financi ... rates2020/

fUDMjpE.png
2020 RCPFH numbers

If you are wondering "what the heck is the R in RCPFH?", that means "Reimbursable". In other words, if another service, agency, nation, etc needs a US aircraft to do something, this is the hourly fee (plus weapons) that we normally charge. Here is the breakdown of CPFH into its sub-sections. RCPFH is the innermost brown square. I use this data because complete CPFH annual numbers are not available and even when publicized, are not on an apples-to-apples comparison.

j3Wsxrh.png
CPFH Breakdown
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 06 Nov 2019, 11:31

SpudmanWP wrote:

Great work by SpudmanWP!! :applause:
Interesting phenomenon of B/C...! :doh: What Magic did LM use?

My guess: Does it involve 3F hardware or Latest Lot?
In my opinion, the reason for the decrease in B/C's RCPFH is due to the increase in New building Latest Lot aircraft or 3F hardware modification?
The reason why I think the B/C cost has been reduced. ; Is it because there are not so many aircraft that have to modify the initial 3F hardware compared to A? Conversely, Compared to the B/C, A models had many initial hardware aircraft, and there should have been many aircraft that had to be modified to 3F hardware. ; Old model costs money

That is... a proportion or ratio, or quantity.
Number or proportion of initial Lot aircraft that need to be modify to 3F hardware. ; A is many, B/C is few. (maybe)
Others, old hardware is expensive to maintain because it's old, but new hardware is cheaper to maintain because it's new. (Probably)

Is this the power of the latest lot?
My guess. 8)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 09 Nov 2019, 23:44

If you are talking about the large drop for the F-15B/C, I think it has a lot to do with last year's numbers being the first that the USN posted. They likely overestimated the initial set and did a better & more thorough job this year.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."