Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Aug 2020, 05:07

XanderCrews wrote:
element1loop wrote:Tell Troodoh the program needs a new Turkey?

Canadian Finance minister resigns amid one of Trudeau's many scandals. (fall on that sword friend!)

The irony of more Canadian government corruption, while adding costs with the CF-18 continuance is really something to behold.

Can one imagine if they simply bought the scandalous 65 F-35s at 9 billion and were done with it years ago?

luckily now they've made the contract 88 aircraft, the budget 20 billion, and have already spent billions on the CF-18s and endless evaluations and won't be getting it for years yet, which has caused a further cost cascade into the navy and an exodus from the RCAF.

.....and in the end they'll get the F-35 anyways! :wink:

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post20 Aug 2020, 11:16

marauder2048 wrote:
steve2267 wrote:I dunno... maybe if Canaduh selects the Super Duper, the jobs in St. Louis will be secure for a little while longer... and the US Navy can stop buying it sooner and ramp up the purchase of Lightnings.

This is supposed to be the last fiscal year in which the Navy buys the Super Hornets.

Isn't that a half truth though?

I thought the Block III modernizations will be ongoing for a long time, perhaps decades. If I'm not mistaken, existing SH's are going to get totally made over when they're due for overhaul, getting the upgrades as time goes on. So while the Navy might not be buying more airframes, it is making sigificant changes to existing aircraft via upgrades.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post29 Aug 2020, 02:42

mixelflick wrote:
Isn't that a half truth though?

No.

marauder2048 wrote:
This is supposed to be the last fiscal year in which the Navy buys the Super Hornets.

I thought the Block III modernizations will be ongoing for a long time, perhaps decades. If I'm not mistaken, existing SH's are going to get totally made over when they're due for overhaul, getting the upgrades as time goes on. So while the Navy might not be buying more airframes, it is making sigificant changes to existing aircraft via upgrades.

you just answered your own question
Choose Crews
Previous

Return to Program and politics