Singapore F-35 selection

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by commisar » 28 Mar 2020, 04:04

mixelflick wrote:You may be right, at least insofar as US legacy birds handling Malaysia's Flankers...

Spoke with an ANG F-15C pilot once and asked him how they did in DACT. He got a big smile on his face and said something like they won 77 or more out of 100 engagements. I'm sure pilot training means a lot, but he had absolutely no reservations about fighting Flankers. I found that interesting...

I'd hazard that's because the majority of Flanker drivers (except the Indians) get less flight hours than USAF/ANG pilots.

Also, most Flankers are flying with warmed over Soviet avionics. You can buy Israeli, but again, most Flanker operators aren't exactly on hold terms with Israel.

Furthermore, Malaysia has essentially admitted that it's MIG-29 fleet is only about 20-25% available at any given time due to Russian service support. I doubt the Su-30 fleet is much better.

Singapore with F-35B is essentially unbeatable in it's local neighborhood.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 01 Jul 2020, 08:39

https://www.mindef.gov.sg/web/portal/mi ... 9jun20_fs5

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

The Letter of Offer and Acceptance for the acquisition of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighters (JSFs) was signed in March 2020. The four F-35Bs are still expected to be delivered around 2026 and will be deployed in continental US for training and in-depth evaluation. The F-35 JSF will replace the F-16 fighter aircraft, which will be progressively retired post-2030. MINDEF will evaluate the F-35 JSF fully before deciding to commit on a further eight.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Jul 2020, 14:17

weasel1962 wrote:https://www.mindef.gov.sg/web/portal/mindef/news-and-events/latest-releases/article-detail/2020/June/29jun20_fs5

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

The Letter of Offer and Acceptance for the acquisition of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighters (JSFs) was signed in March 2020. The four F-35Bs are still expected to be delivered around 2026 and will be deployed in continental US for training and in-depth evaluation. The F-35 JSF will replace the F-16 fighter aircraft, which will be progressively retired post-2030. MINDEF will evaluate the F-35 JSF fully before deciding to commit on a further eight.

Yep and with that purchase (and likely follow on's), the balance of power has shifted considerably in Singapore's favor. Malaysia has few options to restore it, unless it too orders F-35's. Russia will no doubt try to sell them the SU-35, Mig-35 or even SU-57... but the latter won't be ready for years. Neither will the J-31, and I doubt the Chinese will export the J-20.

Amazing how quickly the F-35 is having an impact, and its "reach" is now in all corners of the globe..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 21 Jul 2020, 07:00

Ft. Smith Airport Potential Host of Singapore Air Force, F-35 Aircraft

Washington, D.C. — Ft. Smith Airport has been selected as one of five possible sites to host F-35 planes as well as the Republic of Singapore’s F-16 squadron. Senator Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas) has long advocated for Ft. Smith’s inclusion in this important economic development and national security initiative, and other Arkansas officials have pledged their support of the city and state’s efforts to compete for the mission.

On July 6, 2020, Secretary of the Air Force Barbara Barrett signed a memorandum to establish a permanent Foreign Military Sales training center at a single location in the continental United States for 24 to 36 F-35 long term Foreign Military Sales aircraft and for Republic of Singapore Air Force F-16 basing. The Republic of Singapore Air Force is an F-35 Foreign Military Sales customer and wishes to collocate its current F-16 squadron—now at Luke Air Force Base—with its F-35 aircraft to a long-term Foreign Military Sales location.

Fort Smith Airport, Hulman Field, Buckley Air Force Base, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, and Selfridge Air National Guard Base are the final candidates for the collocation.

“Ft. Smith is a strong candidate for Singapore’s F-16 squadron and future F-35 aircraft. The United States deeply values our relationship with Singapore, and I appreciate Secretary Barrett’s consideration of Arkansas as a location for our important defense partnership. I look forward to working with the Air Force and the state of Arkansas to ensure that Ft. Smith is a welcome location for this vital new national security mission,” said Senator Cotton.

“I was elated to learn that Ebbing Air National Guard Base is a finalist to become home to this important training facility. The state is a serious contender because Senator Cotton and the Arkansas Economic Development Commission launched a serious and sophisticated campaign to persuade the selection committee that Fort Smith is the right place. If Arkansas is selected, this will be a significant victory for Fort Smith and all of Arkansas,” said Governor Hutchinson.

“Fort Smith would be an ideal location to host this mission and we appreciate that Secretary Barrett continues to keep it in the running as the Air Force narrows its list of sites under consideration. The reason Fort Smith has made it to this pivotal point in the process is due, in a large part, to the community’s enthusiastic support and tireless efforts. I am committed to continuing to work with state and local officials, as well as my colleagues in the delegation, to get this effort across the finish line,” said Senator Boozman.

“Fort Smith has everything the Air Force needs for this training center. With our strategic location and strong community, we are primed to support our allies and the next generation of air combat capabilities. I look forward to working with Secretary Barrett and my fellow Arkansans as the vetting process continues. The River Valley is ready to take on this critical defense mission,” said Congressman Womack.

https://www.cotton.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1399

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 22 Jul 2020, 03:31

Surprising MacDill AFB isn't in the running??? Honestly, would be ideal in many respects. It's on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and a number of ranges are available close by. With an excellent climate nearly year around...Plus, it's under utilized.

:|

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 22 Jul 2020, 03:47

Corsair1963 wrote:Surprising MacDill AFB isn't in the running??? Honestly, would be ideal in many respects. It's on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and a number of ranges are available close by. With an excellent climate nearly year around...Plus, it's under utilized.

Hillsborough county is probably not a good place for that.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 22 Jul 2020, 05:57

madrat wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Surprising MacDill AFB isn't in the running??? Honestly, would be ideal in many respects. It's on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and a number of ranges are available close by. With an excellent climate nearly year around...Plus, it's under utilized.

Hillsborough county is probably not a good place for that.

Why is that..... :|

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 22 Jul 2020, 21:17

https://www.defensenews.com/training-si ... f-16-jets/

Based on negotiations with our foreign military sales customers as well as airspace and weather considerations, the Air Force is considering five candidate locations. Those include Buckley AFB, Colorado; Fort Smith Airport, Arkansas; Hulman Field, Indiana; Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas; and Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Michigan,” she added

It seems like Democrats want it both ways. They want to cut the defense budget. But they love to have jets based in there district. I know this are Singapore's planes but Im curious about the economic impact that fighter squadrons have.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 22 Jul 2020, 23:15

Corsair1963 wrote:Why is that..... :|

Because it's not a good representation of Florida or American culture. We can do much better.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 23 Jul 2020, 01:30

madrat wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Why is that..... :|

Because it's not a good representation of Florida or American culture. We can do much better.

What the heck are you talking about??? I've lived in Tampa, Florida for over 16 years. It's a great place to live.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa,_Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacDill_Air_Force_Base

https://www.macdill.af.mil/

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 23 Jul 2020, 01:33

That explains a lot

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 23 Jul 2020, 03:52

I had the misfortune to grow up there. Awful place, awful people, miserable weather unless you enjoy sky-high humidity and thunderstorms every afternoon for half the year. If I never set foot in Florida again it will be too soon!

I'd like Fort Smith to get this mission from an economic perspective. Losing the A-10s was a blow, and that region needs all the economic help it can get. Returning to a flying mission would be a great start.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 23 Jul 2020, 04:09

southernphantom wrote:I had the misfortune to grow up there. Awful place, awful people, miserable weather unless you enjoy sky-high humidity and thunderstorms every afternoon for half the year. If I never set foot in Florida again it will be too soon!

I'd like Fort Smith to get this mission from an economic perspective. Losing the A-10s was a blow, and that region needs all the economic help it can get. Returning to a flying mission would be a great start.

Sunny Florida is an awful place to live....(LOL) :doh: Funny, that more and more people move to Florida each year!

Honestly, I grew up in Michigan and have traveled extensively across the US and I wouldn't live any place else. Clearly, I am not alone either......

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/stud ... ve-florida

BTW The weather at MacDill is very similar to Singapore. So, while you may think Fort Smith is a great place to live. I doubt many Singaporean would find it comfortable....Which, is one of the reasons I suggested MacDill AFB as a good option for them.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 23 Jul 2020, 23:29

You're not alone perhaps, but Hillsborough county isn't for most people.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 24 Jul 2020, 00:07

Mountainhome doesn't exactly have "Singapore weather", yet there it is hosting F-15SGs. Not exactly an important consideration.

PreviousNext