Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by meatshield » 05 Sep 2014, 23:59

What happens if Scotland leaves the kingdom? Do they get one?? Carrier that is

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by zerion » 06 Sep 2014, 00:16

meatshield wrote:What happens if Scotland leaves the kingdom? Do they get one?? Carrier that is

Would budget be an issue?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 06 Sep 2014, 07:38

Good news re PoW. Thanks Vlad.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Sep 2014, 07:42

The IMPALER?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 06 Sep 2014, 07:51

spazsinbad wrote:The IMPALER?

More like the landgrabber. :twisted:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Sep 2014, 09:14

R U Crane? :doh:

by thepointblank » 08 Sep 2014, 03:27

meatshield wrote:What happens if Scotland leaves the kingdom? Do they get one?? Carrier that is

Most likely, the rest of the UK will tell Scotland to go to hell, and you won't be getting any of the RN's and RAF's assets, and to build and buy your own. I know the First Sea Lord, Adm. Sir George Zambellas, and other British defence ministers, have rejected any proposal from the Scottish National Party to give Scotland 2 frigates, a command platform, four mine-countermeasures vessels, two offshore patrol vessels, up to six smaller patrol vessels and auxiliary support ships.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 08 Sep 2014, 05:15

thepointblank wrote:

Most likely, the rest of the UK will tell Scotland to go to hell, and you won't be getting any of the RN's and RAF's assets, and to build and buy your own. I know the First Sea Lord, Adm. Sir George Zambellas, and other British defence ministers, have rejected any proposal from the Scottish National Party to give Scotland 2 frigates, a command platform, four mine-countermeasures vessels, two offshore patrol vessels, up to six smaller patrol vessels and auxiliary support ships.

I don't either see the UK giving away any major combatants either. Surely, not two Frigates or Typhoons (unless they're Tranche 1 Typhoons in Storage)....Maybe a few Patrol Ships.

I sure hope it doesn't happen. If, Scotland thinks they're unhappy now! :doh:

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 08 Sep 2014, 18:52

Could probably loan them a few rowing boats - and I can do them a great deal on Tartan paint!

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 08 Sep 2014, 19:00

Well if the UK doesn't want Scotland to have Tiffys and ships then I guess they need to build new Fighter Bases and Sub pens don't they? Either way, no one gets anything for free.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by archeman » 08 Sep 2014, 22:00

thepointblank wrote:

I believe that this is the current offering from the Royal Navy to the Scottish National Party:

TO PROTECT THE NORTH SEA --Sorry he ate the kilt..
Screen Shot 2011-11-22 at 22.10.10.png
Screen Shot 2011-11-22 at 22.10.10.png (137.17 KiB) Viewed 248935 times
Daddy why do we have to hide? Because we use VI son, and they use windows.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Sep 2014, 22:04

a$$ on the Poop Deck? :doh:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by delvo » 09 Sep 2014, 00:38

A substantial portion of the Scottish independence movement seems to be for the purpose of getting to not have a military system at all anymore. They're certainly not going to complain about not getting to keep enough. All they might complain about is not getting paid back the fraction of their money that's already invested in the military stuff that WENI would end up keeping.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by archeman » 09 Sep 2014, 03:08

delvo wrote:A substantial portion of the Scottish independence movement seems to be for the purpose of getting to not have a military system at all anymore. They're certainly not going to complain about not getting to keep enough. All they might complain about is not getting paid back the fraction of their money that's already invested in the military stuff that WENI would end up keeping.

It will also be very interesting to see if they immediately claim their offshore mineral rights which is about 30% of Europe's entire oil production and used (at it's highpoint) to be nearly 10% of world oil production. It was always a pricey place get oil but it worked and now under that scenario, who will safeguard it?
Daddy why do we have to hide? Because we use VI son, and they use windows.

by thepointblank » 09 Sep 2014, 04:54

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Well if the UK doesn't want Scotland to have Tiffys and ships then I guess they need to build new Fighter Bases and Sub pens don't they? Either way, no one gets anything for free.

My understanding is that if Scotland gains independence, and kicks out the RN's nuclear force, it won't go over well with Scotland's ambition to be part of NATO.

The current RN Trafalgar sub force is based in Devonport, but the new Astute class subs are to be based in the Clyde. If Scotland gains independence and kicks out the RN in the Clyde, both the SSBN's and the new Astutes will have to be moved to Devonport, where there are facilities for supporting nuclear submarines.

The only two RAF bases that would be affected by a potential independent Scotland is Lossiemouth and Leuchars, which under current plans are closing and being reopened as an Army base. No real loss there.

Much more of a concern for an independent Scotland would be the loss of thousands of high paying defence jobs; Scotland's defence industries employ roughly 12,500 people in very high paying jobs with BAE Systems, Babcock, Raytheon, Selex and Thales, with most of the work done by Scotland-based industry being heavily dependent on the UK as the prime customer. I know Thales, BAE and Babcock have expressed concern about the potential impact on their firms in Scotland due to the loss of the UK market.

PreviousNext