Australian lawmakers confident in F-35's future

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Feb 2016, 02:37

ADF White Paper 2016 is due tomorrow Thursday 25 Feb this week.
Malcolm Turnbull sticks to Tony Abbott's defence spending pledges in long-awaited white paper
24 Feb 2016 Andrew Greene & Stephanie Anderson

"The Turnbull Government will commit to spending 2 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) on defence within a decade in its long-awaited white paper.

After several delays and re-writes, the highly anticipated Defence White Paper will finally be publicly unveiled by the Prime Minister on Thursday in Canberra.

The document outlines the Government's military and strategic vision and billions of dollars in spending to modernise the Navy and update Australia's ageing Collins-class fleet of submarines.

The ABC has confirmed 12 new submarines will form the centrepiece of the white paper.

Despite budgetary pressures, the Turnbull Government will stick to former prime minister Tony Abbott's commitment to spend 2 per cent of GDP on defence by 2023, the ABC has learnt.

It is understood a significant proportion of the spending will be on big-ticket items such as the next fleet of submarines, new RAAF planes and replacing the Army's armoured vehicle fleet....

...Australia's last Defence White Paper was released by Julia Gillard in 2013, and Mr Abbott promised to update the document within 18 months of being elected."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-23/d ... es/7194480

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 24 Feb 2016, 08:12

I thought it was very peculiar that a retired Danish Lt. Colonel decided to write Australian Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee about F-35 and his experiences with F-35 simulated flights. What was his motive to write to Australian committee and why did he leave some very important pieces of information out of his writing like years when he took part of those simulated flights (that was at least 12 years ago), what was the development state of simulators then (12 years ago it must've been very simple), what aircraft and missiles were simulated and what missiles he wanted to use. I'm sure he knows those details and meaning of those details. He must know that 12 years of development means huge difference and if he has followed F-35 program he must know that most of simulation capabilities has been added after he could've possibly took part of those simulations.

So I did some intelligence gathering and it seems like Anker Steen Sørensen is endorsed in LinkedIn by no other than Carlo Kopp and Chris Mills (RepSim guy). Anker Steen Sørensen has endorsed at least Peter Goon of all people. All this can't be a coincidence, no way. I just wonder how on earth did APA/Repsim people get someone with Sørensens experience to join their ranks? I really wonder what's going on with them?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Feb 2016, 08:38

I agree, you may wonder about the Canadian submission and probably a few others (please don't ask me to read them all - I have skimmed them as they arrived) have little or nothing to do with Australian F-35 situation. This is the 'whatever new anti-JSF new fighter for Australia coalition' demonstrating their silliness. YMMV. More & more they rely on ancient details.

The biggest mystery is why the Labor party voted with the minor dribble parties to hold this enquiry give what they said when they did vote. What was their quid pro quo? Note statements on page seven of this thread: Sen. Conroy [creepy] former Labor DefMin viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23043&p=310550&hilit=COMMITTEES#p310550
"...Senator CONROY: While Labor strongly support the right of the Senate to inquire into a whole range of issues, we do not want the fact that Labor are supporting this Senate inquiry to remotely suggest that Labor do not fully support Australia's participation in the F35 project. We are strongly behind it, we have a long record of being strongly behind it and we continue to support Australia's participation in this project...."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 24 Feb 2016, 12:30

Some other interesting finds about this Anker Steen Sørensen:

http://nytkampfly.dk/archives/6442/comment-page-1

Anker Steen Sørensen siger:
25. november 2014 kl. 17:03

Jeg er Service provider for Eurofighter – bare så I ved det. Jeg deltog også i konferencen.

Translation:
I'm Service provider for the Eurofighter - just so you know. I also participated in the conference.

So I dug further:
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/eksperter-simulator-er-ikke-som-en-testflyvning

Google-Translations:
But it is a problem that the Danish pilots have not tested the Joint Strike Fighter, in fact, believe Anker Sørensen, a former squadron leader and head of the operations department for Skrydstrup. He has flown F-16 for 16 years, and now works as a consultant for the competitor to JSF, Eurofighter.

Anker Sørensen after his 40 years in the Army now a consultant for the Eurofighter.

So, now we know what his motivation for the writing really is... Maybe somebody should make this info known to Australians...

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Feb 2016, 12:46

Good to know. Thanks. It is like knowing who the Canadian Steve Fuhr was back in time, whose name appears along with the usual suspects on that irrelevant Canadian bumpf submission. Search forum for name for info: one example

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24027&p=282721&hilit=Fuhr#p282721

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 24 Feb 2016, 23:59

Bogdan is before the senate committe today, I can't find the link to watch, does anyone (spaz) have it?

I scrolled down todays events to no avail
http://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/E ... /2016&st=0
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Feb 2016, 00:11

Over in the middle of page 16 of this thread 'Dragon029' provided this video link:

http://www.aph.gov.au/news_and_events/watch_parliament

These whackers like to be obscure: 25/02/2016 3:30PM - 5:35PM AEDT Senate, Foreign Affairs, Defence & Trade Legislation Committee (Senate Estimates) Live:

http://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/L ... ype=1&vID={07CB5B89-38A6-4780-882C-6B34964A74F7}

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 25 Feb 2016, 00:24

I cant get to the full article but here's a link.

http://www.janes.com/article/58300/prog ... in-the-air

Programme head claims F-35 has no rivals in the air

Julian Kerr, Sydney - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
23 February 2016

No aircraft in the world today could take on the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) and survive, the head of the Pentagon's F-35 Joint Program Office (JPO) said on 24 February.

In a robust defence of the F-35's capabilities at a media briefing in Canberra, Lieutenant General Christopher Bogdan said critics of the programme "have no data to base their opinions on".

"I have the data," he said. "I have the pilots who are flying the airplane. Here is what I will tell you: there is not an airplane in the world today anywhere that, if put up against an F-35 in an air-to-air environment, we would not see them first, shoot them first, and kill them first."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Feb 2016, 00:41

DWP is apparently being released 20 minutes from NOW at 1100 local East Coast Time with Daylight Saving Oz today. Here: http://www.defence.gov.au/Whitepaper/Releases.asp OR? http://www.defence.gov.au/Whitepaper/Links.asp

2016 Defence White Paper http://www.defence.gov.au/Whitepaper/Do ... -Paper.pdf (10Mb)

2016 Integrated Investment Program http://www.defence.gov.au/Whitepaper/Do ... rogram.pdf (5Mb)

2016-Defence-Industry-Policy-Statement.pdf (5Mb) http://www.defence.gov.au/Whitepaper/Do ... tement.pdf
"2016 Defence White Paper

The 2016 Defence White Paper released on 25 February 2016 delivers on the Government’s commitment to the safety of the Australian people and to the defence our territory and national interests.

The Defence White Paper sets out a comprehensive, responsible long term plan for Australia’s defence. The Government is investing in Defence to ensure that we have the armed forces we need to protect Australia and to secure our interests in the coming decades.

The plans in this Defence White Paper have been cost-assured and externally validated. Australia’s defence strategy and capability plans have been aligned with funding. These plans are affordable and achievable.

And for the first time, all elements of the Government’s Defence investment, including new weapons, platforms, systems, and the enabling equipment, facilities, workforce, information and communications technology, and science and technology are outlined in an Integrated Investment Program, published with the Defence White Paper.

The Defence Industry Policy Statement released with the Defence White Paper acknowledges the fundamental contribution that Australian industry provides to defence capability. The Defence Industry Policy statement will refocus Defence’s relationship with Australian industry to support the plans in the Defence White Paper.

The Government’s defence strategy is supported by increased defence funding, which will grow to two per cent of Australia’s Gross Domestic Product by 2020-21, three years ahead of the Government’s 2013 election commitment. The Government’s funding plan provides $29.9 billion more to Defence over the period to 2025-26 than previously planned, enabling approximately $195 billion of new investment in our Defence capabilities in this period.

The Defence White Paper is a key part of the Government’s commitment to a safe and secure Australia. The Australian people can have confidence that this Government will ensure that we can defend our nation and protect our interests today and into the future."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Feb 2016, 01:37

Nothing about 'F-35Bs on LHDs' for example in DWP 2016 I'm told - disappointing. Gone - but not forgotten. :doh:
"...The Government will further invest in enhancements to the ADF’s amphibious capability, including to the
sensors, countermeasures and weapons on board the Canberra Class ships. This capability will be developed further over time, taking account of our experience in operating the Canberra Class...."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Feb 2016, 02:27

2016 INTEGRATED INVESTMENT PROGRAM
Capability Stream: Strike and air combat pages 96-97
"...5.11 The Super Hornet fleet has been extended beyond its initial bridging capability timeframe and is now planned to be replaced by around 2030. Its replacement could include either a fourth operational squadron of Joint Strike Fighters or possibly a yet to be developed unmanned combat aerial vehicle. The decision on the replacement of this air combat capability will be best undertaken post-2020 when technology and emerging threat trends are better understood, and we have the benefit of our initial Joint Strike Fighter operating experience....

'''Airborne electronic attack aircraft page 98
5.17 The 12 E/A-18G Growler electronic attack aircraft represent a new capability that will enter service from 2018, and is likely to remain in service for 20–30 years. These aircraft use a combination of electronic systems and sophisticated weapons to disrupt, disable and/or confuse adversaries’ systems such as radars and command, control, communications, computers and intelligence systems. They typically work with fighter and strike aircraft to produce a potent air combat package, but are also particularly useful in supporting a range of other missions. These aircraft will be kept common with the United States’ fleet through regular upgrades....

....Integrated air and missile defence page 99+
5.23 The ADF’s existing air-defence systems will be upgraded, including command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) systems and sensors. Investment in C4I will provide the foundation for an enhanced integrated air and missile defence system for the ADF, ensuring key C4I systems are able to fuse and share air and space surveillance information effectively to enhance the accuracy and speed of ADF systems’ response to air and missile threats. The ADF’s enhanced integrated air and missile defence C4I architecture will have the flexibility for further enhancement to handle more complex threats that may emerge in future.

5.24 Defence will also acquire ground-based active electronically scanned array radars from around 2020 and expand Australia’s access to air and space situational awareness information, including through space-based systems (discussed in the Intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, electronic warfare, space and cyber stream).

5.25 In enhancing the ADF’s integrated air and missile defence capability, Defence will also develop a Joint Battle Management System to better coordinate and synchronise ADF operations, including the tracking and engagement of forces within an area of operations. This system will be deployable, in addition to supporting Australian-based capabilities. It will improve situational awareness, such as the ability to generate and disseminate a common operating picture, and enhance coordination of air battle management, joint weapons employment (including maritime and land strike) and ground-based air defence in operational theatres.... [LOTS MORE about this ON THE PAGES....]"
&
"...Table 7: Summary of key investment decisions from FY 2016–17 to FY 2025–26

Program title Program Timeframe *Approximate investment value

F-35A Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Acquisition Stage One (72 aircraft) Approved $15.3bn

E/A-18G Growler Airborne Electronic Attack Capability (12 aircraft) Approved $2.1bn

F-35A Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Facilities – Tindal and Townsville Approved $1.4bn...

...Air Combat Capability – Fourth Squadron 2025–2031 $6bn–$7bn

Growler Electronic Attack Enhancements 2016–2035 $5bn–$6bn..."

Source: http://www.defence.gov.au/Whitepaper/Do ... rogram.pdf (5Mb)

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 25 Feb 2016, 02:43

Dragon029 wrote:
element1loop wrote:re subs. We may know they're there, but will we do anything? No. They'd be able to operate in close, and in grim moments we'd have nothing to realistically respond to if fired on with LAMs.

Do you mean long range cruise missiles? Overall, there's not much we can do against those if they get close; the ADF's advantage is it's long range maritime ISR and strike capabilities, via things like our subs, Super Hornets and AP-3Cs, and soon, our P-8s and F-35s.

They're going to do something about that too Dragon029, plus basing upgrade/expansions.

Missile Defence

4.46 The Government is concerned by the growing threat posed by ballistic and cruise missile capability and their proliferation in the Indo-Pacific and Middle East regions. While the threat of an intercontinental ballistic missile attack on Australia is low, longer-range and submarine-launched ballistic and cruise missiles could threaten Australian territory, and shorter-range ballistic and cruise missiles pose a threat to our deployed forces.

4.47 Australia is committed to working with the United States to counter the ballistic missile threat. Australia and the United States have established a bilateral working group to examine options for potential. Australian contributions to integrated air and missile defence in the region. Australia’s priorities for the working group are to develop a more detailed understanding of options to protect our forces which are deployed in the region from ballistic missile attack.

4.48 The Government will upgrade the ADF’s existing air defence surveillance system, including command, control and communications systems, sensors and targeting systems, which could be used as a foundation for development of deployed, in-theatre missile defence capabilities, should future strategic circumstances require it. The Government will also acquire new ground-based radars from around 2020 and will expand Australia’s access to situational awareness information, including space-based systems.

Source:
http://www.defence.gov.au/WhitePaper/Do ... -Paper.pdf
http://www.defence.gov.au/WhitePaper/

Very good, couldn't really expect more than that, for now.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 25 Feb 2016, 06:57

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/0 ... om-the-sky

Dissapointing:

Later on Wednesday, General Bogdan's planned private briefing of the Senate committee inquiring into the F-35 was cancelled because of a clash with the launch of the defence white paper.

Greens defence spokesman Senator Peter Whish-Wilson, who instigated this inquiry, said he was disappointed the briefing, at least a month in the planning, had been cancelled at the last minute.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 26 Feb 2016, 01:32

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /80920054/

AIR FORCE
Bogdan: Australian F-35 Block Buy Still Possible

CANBERRA, Australia — The head of the F-35 International Joint Program Office told Australian officials that a block buy across low rate initial production lots 12, 13 and 14 is still possible despite the US services not being able to fully participate.
US Air Force Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan was in Canberra to testify at a Senate inquiry into Australia’s purchase of 72 F-35A aircraft to replace its F/A-18A/B Hornet fleet. Prior to the Senate hearing and on the eve of the release of Australia’s defense white paper on Wednesday, he briefed Australian reporters on the Joint Strike Fighter program.
The US has told the program office that it cannot participate in a block buy of jets until at least LRIP 13.
“There is a way that you can start a block buy for the partners and the FMS [Foreign Military Sales] customers in [LRIP] Lot 12, and have the US services join in Lot 13,” he said.
“You won’t get quite as much savings but in fact, most of the savings in that scenario falls to the US services, because they didn’t come in early. So for the partners it’s still a good value proposition and we are still pursuing it.”

More.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by cantaz » 26 Feb 2016, 03:37

Wait a second, which lot is suppose to be the final LRIP lot? I thought lot 12 was FRP-1?

PreviousNext