Overview of F-35 test flights

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 12 May 2010, 15:12

energo wrote:
seruriermarshal wrote:F-35A AF-1 , F-35A AF-2 , F-35B BF-2 flew 29 April
F-35 five flights 30 April
Overall flights: 197

Thank's for the update! To add to that: 27 of 29 planned flights accomplished in April, and 60 of 58 planned so far this year.

B. Bolsøy/Oslo

What is the latest update for the overall flights? :?:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by energo » 12 May 2010, 15:41

neptune wrote:
energo wrote:
seruriermarshal wrote:F-35A AF-1 , F-35A AF-2 , F-35B BF-2 flew 29 April
F-35 five flights 30 April
Overall flights: 197

Thank's for the update! To add to that: 27 of 29 planned flights accomplished in April, and 60 of 58 planned so far this year.

B. Bolsøy/Oslo

What is the latest update for the overall flights? :?:

As of Monday: 206 flights and 264.1 flight hours.

B. Bolsøy/Oslo

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 13 May 2010, 03:36

averaging just over a flight per day per airframe and having a 70% code 1 return? Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a flight test program isn't this amazing?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by f35phixer » 13 May 2010, 22:45

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:averaging just over a flight per day per airframe and having a 70% code 1 return? Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a flight test program isn't this amazing?

all I'm going to say is we're not getting many test point flown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flights yes, not many TEST POINTS, depends who's metric we go by as to being successful test flight :evil:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rivetspacer » 13 May 2010, 23:08

And how excay do you know this information?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 13 May 2010, 23:20

f35phixer wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:averaging just over a flight per day per airframe and having a 70% code 1 return? Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a flight test program isn't this amazing?

all I'm going to say is we're not getting many test point flown !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flights yes, not many TEST POINTS, depends who's metric we go by as to being successful test flight :evil:

Not many weeks ago, I and others were complaining about "Hangar Queens". Now, we have passed 200 flights :cheers: and other than "fam. flights" for new pilots, we would expect all test flights to be flying test points. Not sure I understand boring holes in the sky, if you are not flying a test point? :bang: Unless these are maintenance Test Hops, but we are at 70% code 1 :poke: "Two turnin', two burnin", Neptune.

Banned

by sextusempiricus » 14 May 2010, 00:23

f35phixer wrote:

Thank you, f35phixer - who, as most of you should know, is IN the F-35 program - for asserting what I and other skeptics suspected two weeks ago: lots of hops, to look good on paper and say, "See, we're picking up the pace of testing," but not many test points flown, due to an overly cautious approach to flight testing, in the best case, or to accumulate flights largely as a PR stunt, in the worst case. I feel for folks like f35phixer, who, through no fault of their own, are hostage to LM's incompetent and dare I say almost criminal corporate mismanagement of the program.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 14 May 2010, 01:12

sexyempty, as if you know. Talk about jump on the f35phixer bandwagon now. At least you are off the SweetyPie bandwagon.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by dragorv » 14 May 2010, 01:25

1st... for those of us who don't know, what exactly is a "test point"?

Even if the flights aren't finding new data every single day, the plane is still flying and is apparently performing excellently. Wouldn't you take that over no flights at all?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by LMAggie » 14 May 2010, 01:31

f35phixer wrote:

First of all, this info is FOUO as stated in the FTRT tool. And if you don't have access to FTRT or Moose, then there's really no way you would know this.

Second of all, you are mistaken. Hoffschwelle has the V16 planned vs actual metrics; I suggest you take a look at them and I think you would be surprised by the fleet level activity. Maybe you are referring to one or a few flights, but other flights are getting MORE than planned.

However, you bring up a very valid point. We put a lot of emphasis on flights which really mean nothing. It demonstrates maturity of the design, but test points are what close out SDD and deliver capability to the warfighter.
“Its not the critic who counts..The credit belongs to the man who does actually strive to do the deeds..”

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by LMAggie » 14 May 2010, 01:39

dragorv wrote:1st... for those of us who don't know, what exactly is a "test point"?

Even if the flights aren't finding new data every single day, the plane is still flying and is apparently performing excellently. Wouldn't you take that over no flights at all?

A test point is either a maneuver, or a set of maneuvers, that validates a requirement for the customer. When you've flown all of your test points, then you've demonstrated to the customer that you are giving them the product that you promised.

However, flights are very beneficial. You learn alot about the aircraft every time you start up and shut down. You also find the 'bugs' alot quicker that way, which makes the majority of the test program more efficient.
“Its not the critic who counts..The credit belongs to the man who does actually strive to do the deeds..”

by f35phixer » 14 May 2010, 03:34

we don't have time or money to just fly. we have test plans and envelope we MUST expand for ITC pilots to get to IOC.

yes flying does bring maturity into the platform. But it is envelope we need we're not going to the corners we need to.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by dragorv » 14 May 2010, 03:38

LMAggie wrote:A test point is either a maneuver, or a set of maneuvers, that validates a requirement for the customer. When you've flown all of your test points, then you've demonstrated to the customer that you are giving them the product that you promised.

However, flights are very beneficial. You learn alot about the aircraft every time you start up and shut down. You also find the 'bugs' alot quicker that way, which makes the majority of the test program more efficient.

That's what I had assumed about the flights, that you never learn nothing. Thank you!

by seruriermarshal » 14 May 2010, 03:56

as a test point :

Data from the sensors already ran through BF-4's fusion engine on its April 7 first flight and Lockheed will step up the amount of data fusion as sensors are added and moving to higher software block numbers.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by LMAggie » 14 May 2010, 04:07

f35phixer wrote:we don't have time or money to just fly. we have test plans and envelope we MUST expand for ITC pilots to get to IOC.

yes flying does bring maturity into the platform. But it is envelope we need we're not going to the corners we need to.

agree 100%

PreviousNext