461st FLTS [female test F-35] pilot makes history

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Jan 2019, 08:18

461st FLTS pilot makes history
07 Jan 2018 412th Test Wing Public Affairs

"EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- A routine F-35 flight test mission marked a significant event in Air Force history at Edwards Air Force Base, Dec. 14. Maj. Rachael Winiecki, 461st Flight Test Squadron, took off that morning in her F-35 Joint Strike Fighter and was later greeted by members of the squadron after she completed the first flight test mission led by a female F-35 developmental test pilot.

“I may be the first female developmental test pilot (in the F-35), but (test pilots) are just one small part of the test enterprise,” Winiecki said. She said that although aviation tends to be a male dominated field, the number of women in flight test is increasing. Winiecki said that there are several female test directors, test conductors, discipline engineers, and flight test engineers at the 461st FLTS, in addition to those serving in engineering, maintenance and support functions. Namely, she spoke about her crew chief for the mission, Airman 1st Class Heather Rice, of the 412th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron. “It was great having Airman Rice there,” Winiecki said. “I am very proud of the work she does on the line, and I’m glad that she is part of our team.”...

...According to Lt. Col. Tucker Hamilton, 461st FLTS commander, Winiecki’s experience with the A-10 was one of the factors to her being selected as an F-35 test pilot. “Major Winiecki was selected to become an F-35 test pilot based on her exceptional flying ability and the important voice she brings to the F-35 development as a prior A-10 pilot,” Hamilton said. Winiecki said that having the ability to bring the A-10 mission sets to the 461st FLTS, such as close-air-support, combat search and rescue and forward air controller, is important so the focus is not just on the air-to-air capabilities of the F-35 but also the air-to-ground capabilities.

“I really do appreciate the perspective that I can bring coming from the A-10 and the F-16 to hopefully bring some influence from that perspective. As testers, the contacts we have back in the Combat Air Force are valuable,” she said. “We can reach out to our networks to solicit feedback, solicit information on how we could and should accomplish our mission sets in the future. That’s really where we can open doors. I can reach back to my friends and contacts in my previous community just like other test pilots here.”

As a member of the 461 FLTS, Winiecki will be part of a team that oversees developmental testing of all variants of the F-35 JSF.…"

Photo: https://media.defense.gov/2019/Jan/07/2 ... 65-003.JPG "Maj. Rachael Winiecki, 461st Flight Test Squadron F-35 test pilot (left), and Airman 1st Class Heather Rice, 412th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron crew chief, pose for a photo right after Winiecki landed her F-35 Lightning II on her first test mission flight in the fifth-generation fighter Dec. 14, 2018. (U.S. Air Force photo by Kenji Thuloweit)"

Source: https://www.afmc.af.mil/News/Article-Di ... s-history/
Attachments
181214-F-LO365-003.JPG