F-35s at Farnborough Air Show 2014?

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 08 Jul 2014, 04:23

spazsinbad wrote:
Most F-35 engines inspected; U.S. contract talks on hold for now
07 Jul 2014 Andrea Shalal

"...The [fire] incident [? cat wotever damage?] threatens what was to be the F-35's international debut at two air shows in Britain that kick off on Friday and next week. No decision has yet been made on whether to allow F-35 jets to fly to Britain, an official with the Pentagon's F-35 program office said.

Officials investigating the fire have determined what happened to the F135 engine built by Pratt, a unit of United Technologies Corp, but are still trying to understand why it happened, said one source familiar with the program.

Four Marine Corps F-35B jets are parked at an air base in southern Maryland, ready to travel to Britain. A fifth jet, a British F-35B, remains at Eglin.

If officials allow flights to resume, the British jet could fly to Maryland on Tuesday, and the group of F-35Bs could depart for England on Wednesday, according to two sources.

The aircraft must leave by Wednesday to be ready for flights at the Royal International Air Tattoo on Friday. But the jets could still make it to Britain for the big Farnborough show next week, officials said...."

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/ ... 0H20140708

I don't know about you guys but I am crossing my fingers and toes! :?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 08 Jul 2014, 22:04

US Marine F-35Bs Could Make Airshows, Even if UK Jets Do Not

The F-35 joint strike fighter fleet remains grounded, even as the deadline to make two major British airshows looms inches closer.

The good news for supporters of the JSF: It may be possible for most of the fleet to stay grounded while a few planes attend what has been billed as a major showcase for the program.

Pentagon inspectors continue to review the technical data gathered in the wake of a June 23 fire that claimed an F-35A model at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. As part of that investigation the entire fleet of F-35 models was grounded last Thursday.

However, the Marines may decide they have no concerns about their F-35B jump-jet models and allow the jets to travel overseas, a result of the complicated ownership issues that arise from having nine international partners and three US military services invested in the program.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2014 ... ets-Do-Not

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 09 Jul 2014, 01:40

bring_it_on wrote:US Marine F-35Bs Could Make Airshows, Even if UK Jets Do Not

The F-35 joint strike fighter fleet remains grounded, even as the deadline to make two major British airshows looms inches closer.

The good news for supporters of the JSF: It may be possible for most of the fleet to stay grounded while a few planes attend what has been billed as a major showcase for the program.

Pentagon inspectors continue to review the technical data gathered in the wake of a June 23 fire that claimed an F-35A model at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. As part of that investigation the entire fleet of F-35 models was grounded last Thursday.

However, the Marines may decide they have no concerns about their F-35B jump-jet models and allow the jets to travel overseas, a result of the complicated ownership issues that arise from having nine international partners and three US military services invested in the program.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2014 ... ets-Do-Not

So, it's likely a go then???

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 09 Jul 2014, 11:13

It's more than being able to do a Cobra...

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/07/visi ... -408451137

Visiting Air Shows Doesn’t Convey The Reality Of Combat
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 09 Jul 2014, 11:24

popcorn wrote:It's more than being able to do a Cobra...

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/07/visi ... -408451137

Visiting Air Shows Doesn’t Convey The Reality Of Combat

This simply cannot be true!! When US sequestration caused the cancellation of US participation at so many airshows in europe, I was told that the Russians "Stole the show" and that their flight demo showed remarkable control-ability that clearly demonstrated combat!! LOL
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 09 Jul 2014, 13:30

Corsair1963 wrote:

So, it's likely a go then???

I don't want to make any "call" one way or the other, but if they are given the option the Marines will probably opt to go. Its a service that is less risk averse. They will want to go.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Jul 2014, 22:17

:mrgreen: I'll be there - NOT! :devil: : http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/t ... rough.html
Lockheed Martin Releases Farnborough International Airshow 2014 Media Opportunities Schedule
09 Jul 2014 (PR Newswire)

"F-35 Program Update Briefing 11 a.m.-12 p.m., BST
The Radlett Room, Farnborough International Media Center

Presenters will provide an update on the F-35 program.

F-35 Pilot Briefing 11 a.m.-12 p.m., BST
The Cody Room, Farnborough International Media Center

F-35 test pilots will provide a presentation on the capability of the F-35."

Source: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2044471

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 10 Jul 2014, 12:55

RIAT a no go CONFIRMED by LMA, Farnborough looks quite likely.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 10 Jul 2014, 13:14

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ow-401213/

Lockheed 'confident' F-35 can still make UK show debut
By: CRAIG HOYLE Source: Flightglobal.com a day ago
The US Department of Defense has yet to lift its grounding order on the F-35, but Lockheed Martin remains optimistic that the type will be able to make its UK air show debut before next week is over.

Speaking at a media event at the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) site at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire on 9 July, Lockheed's general manager for the F-35 programme Lorraine Martin said investigation work continues following an "issue with the engine" on an F-35A training aircraft late last month.

The US Department of Defense has yet to release details of the aircraft fire at Eglin AFB in Florida, but Martin says "all the right, bright minds are working it, and getting us to a point where we will be able to return to flight. As soon as we have returned to flight, those aircraft are poised and ready to come here to the air show."

asset image
US Marine Corps

Following a scheduled debut appearance at RIAT, the short take-off and vertical landing F-35B should also take part in the air display at the Farnborough air show.

Martin declines to speculate on when a return to flight order could come, but says: "I have full confidence that at one of these shows we will have an F-35." Three US Marine Corps aircraft are due to make their first transatlantic crossing, and she says "we are locked and loaded to receive those aircraft." Spare parts required to support the deployment are already in place at RAF Fairford, she adds.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Jul 2014, 23:23

Boy, Do I want To Get Away From Being The Trillion Dollar Airplane: Bogdan
10 Jul 2014 Colin Clark

"...On the topical question of whether the Marine version of the F-35 would appear at RIAT or at Farnborough, Bogdan was carefully neutral while indicating he hoped the four planes would fly here from Naval Air Station Patuxent River as long as they were cleared for safe flight by NavAir.

“We won’t rush that decision by the air worthiness authorities but we will give them all the information we can about the incident,” Bogdan said.

PIlots are standing by and could take off immediately should the green light be given, he added.

While neither Bogdan nor Martin said so, they sounded pretty confident that the F-35Bs would be cleared for flight in time for the Farnborough Air Show, which begins Monday. Even though signs around Swindon, the biggest town near here, sported F-35 Debut logos in the upper right corner it looks pretty unlikely the aircraft will arrive there in time for Saturday flights at the tattoo."

Source: http://breakingdefense.com/2014/07/boy- ... ne-bogdan/

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 11 Jul 2014, 03:09

Four F-35B aircraft from VMFA-121 Green Knights at MCAS Yuma arrived Friday, June 27, on their way to the UK for two air shows: Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) and Farnborough International Airshow (FIA), however, it is unknown when they will be authorized to fly. As it stands now, they will not make it to the RIAT airshow, but if they can arrive in the UK with sufficient time to support the FIA airshow, they will do so.

Banned

by zero-one » 11 Jul 2014, 05:26

honestly, part of me doesn't want them to perform on FIA.

not with their 4G limited block 2A software.

Imean what will they do when their slot is sandwhiched between a Typhoon and a Rafale demo?
a couple of high speed flybys, a slow speed one with STOVL doors opened, and a weapons bay pass maybe.

For a few months the web will be flooded with "told ya it can't turn" nonsense, then we have to go on and explain that it was flying with block 2A yada yada.. before long people will keep thinking that we're simply making excuses that don't end.

...sory, but I just feel that this is where its going.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 11 Jul 2014, 05:46

Really, Zero-one, no one in the JPO or any of the Partner Countries share your concern. They all looked forward to the UK events to showcase what the program has accomplished to-date. They know better than to let ignorant criticism distract them from what they are working hard to achieve. To have this affect you the way it does, marks you as troll fodder willing to put stock in their warped agenda.
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Banned

by zero-one » 11 Jul 2014, 06:07

popcorn wrote:Really, Zero-one, no one in the JPO or any of the Partner Countries share your concern. They all looked forward to the UK events to showcase what the program has accomplished to-date. They know better than to let ignorant criticism distract them from what they are working hard to achieve. To have this affect you the way it does, marks you as troll fodder willing to put stock in their warped agenda.

Easy Pops, no need to get hairy, we're on the same team.

Don't tell me it doesn't bother you when you see Spray, Axe, Copp, BS, blabber about how the F-35 is such a "turkey"?
even just a little bit, because we sure get ticked off by it.

FIA is supposed to show the progress made by the JPO for the past decade of development and testing,

and since we have a fighter going on an airshow

I would like it to perform like a fighter in an airshow,

If you don't want it to perform that way, then thats up to you, I'd just like to know why?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Jul 2014, 06:33

The F-35B air display potentially has been mentioned a few times now. Apart from NO vertical landing (for good reasons clarified a zillion times by now) the Bee will showcase STOVL. Ask yourself - apart from the Harrier - how many aircraft can do what the F-35B does. I want to see a 40,000lb aircraft hovering in mid-air - but I won't - because I'm far away.

PreviousNext