J-31 aims at F-35 market

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7676
  • Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 08:55

Unread post27 Sep 2013, 02:57

http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-blog ... for-sales/

China Says J-31 Fighter Will Compete With F-35 for Sales

A PLA Navy official has confirmed to state-run media outlets that China will export the Shenyang J-31 twin-engine fifth generation fighter jet.

According to the Taiwan-based Want China Times, Admiral Zhang Zhaozhong told the People’s Daily this week that the J-31 was never built with China’s military in mind, and it was highly unlikely that the PLA would ever operate J-31s off of its aircraft carriers. Instead, the J-31 was designed for export to China’s strategic partners and allies, particularly those that couldn’t purchase the F-35.

The J-31, often referred to as the Falcon Hawk, Falcon Eagle, F-60 or J-21, is one of China’s two prototype fifth-generation aircraft, the other being the J-20. It is built by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation, and images of the aircraft first began appearing on the internet around this time last year.

Photos of the J-31 allegedly conducting its first test run surfaced last November, followed by a one-quarter scale model of the stealth fighter being showcased the same month at the China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition, China’s largest airshow. It was identified only as the Advanced Fighter Concept at the show, although reports in China’s state-run media said that prototype was a J-31. More recently, last month, the Global Times posted a picture of a J-31 doing a test run on its online edition.

Previous reports in China’s state-run media have been mixed as to whether the J-31 would serve as the PLA’s future carrier-based fighter, or whether it was intended for foreign customers. Sun Cong, the chief designer of both China’s current carrier-based aircraft, the J-15, as well as the J-31, told the People’s Daily earlier this year that future versions of the J-31 might become China next-generation carrier-borne fighter jet. However, representatives from the Aviation Industry Corporation of China, a state-owned aerospace company that displayed the prototype at the airshow last November, billed it at the time as intended for export..

More follows..
Offline

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2741
  • Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 08:31
  • Location: Finland

Unread post27 Sep 2013, 09:19

I could definitely see J-31 being very interesting to countries not able to buy F-35 or even PAK-FA. I don't see it being much of a competitor to F-35 as it seems to have significantly lower overall capability (although it could potentially also be quite a bit cheaper to buy if also built in large numbers for PLAAF).
It could however be superior to 4th+ generation fighters, even the later ones.depending on avionics and level of stealth achieved. I see it very much like JF-17, which was designed as a cheaper alternative to F-16 and the like, but has not found much success in the market.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5232
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post27 Sep 2013, 13:09

Waiting for Solomon to start babbling about how the USMC should cancel the F-35B and buy the J-31. :lol:
"There I was. . ."
Offline

abiramishankar

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 24 Jun 2015, 09:36

Unread post24 Jun 2015, 09:37

solmon should buy J-31 :D
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5389
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post24 Jun 2015, 09:48

hornetfinn wrote:I could definitely see J-31 being very interesting to countries not able to buy F-35 or even PAK-FA. I don't see it being much of a competitor to F-35 as it seems to have significantly lower overall capability (although it could potentially also be quite a bit cheaper to buy if also built in large numbers for PLAAF).
It could however be superior to 4th+ generation fighters, even the later ones.depending on avionics and level of stealth achieved. I see it very much like JF-17, which was designed as a cheaper alternative to F-16 and the like, but has not found much success in the market.



I like it when the Russian and Chinese Bloggers start making wild claims on how many PAK-FA's and/or J-20's are going to be exported. Which, I reply name the country.........then the very quickly become quite. :doh:
Offline

disconnectedradical

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 675
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 00:44
  • Location: San Antonio, TX

Unread post25 Jun 2015, 11:39

Corsair1963 wrote:
hornetfinn wrote:I could definitely see J-31 being very interesting to countries not able to buy F-35 or even PAK-FA. I don't see it being much of a competitor to F-35 as it seems to have significantly lower overall capability (although it could potentially also be quite a bit cheaper to buy if also built in large numbers for PLAAF).
It could however be superior to 4th+ generation fighters, even the later ones.depending on avionics and level of stealth achieved. I see it very much like JF-17, which was designed as a cheaper alternative to F-16 and the like, but has not found much success in the market.



I like it when the Russian and Chinese Bloggers start making wild claims on how many PAK-FA's and/or J-20's are going to be exported. Which, I reply name the country.........then the very quickly become quite. :doh:


As for J-20, zero because the Chinese government isn't planning on exporting it at all? That news came out several months ago.
Offline

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 929
  • Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 14:32

Unread post25 Jun 2015, 13:12

According to the Taiwan-based Want China Times, Admiral Zhang Zhaozhong told the People’s Daily this week that the J-31 was never built with China’s military in mind, and it was highly unlikely that the PLA would ever operate J-31s off of its aircraft carriers. Instead, the J-31 was designed for export to China’s strategic partners and allies, particularly those that couldn’t purchase the F-35.


So how exactly does it AIM at the "F-35 market" There's exactly one F-16 customer that I can think of that is likely to strongly consider the J-31 and most likely because it has little chance to get any F-35's given its strategic realignment with China.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5232
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post25 Jun 2015, 13:17

bring_it_on wrote:
According to the Taiwan-based Want China Times, Admiral Zhang Zhaozhong told the People’s Daily this week that the J-31 was never built with China’s military in mind, and it was highly unlikely that the PLA would ever operate J-31s off of its aircraft carriers. Instead, the J-31 was designed for export to China’s strategic partners and allies, particularly those that couldn’t purchase the F-35.


So how exactly does it AIM at the "F-35 market" There's exactly one F-16 customer that I can think of that is likely to strongly consider the J-31 and most likely because it has little chance to get any F-35's given its strategic realignment with China.


Pakistan? At this point I'd be twitchy about selling them to Turkey either.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

borg

Banned

  • Posts: 471
  • Joined: 20 May 2015, 10:11

Unread post25 Jun 2015, 13:22

Add to that the Russian state export, said during Le bourget, that the Pak-Fa is not on their current export list.
So lets not get carried away on the comparison export Charts.

Its not about whom cant afford the Pak-Fa.
The Pak-Fa is pretty much in the same shoe as F-22. There are severe restrictions on Pak-Fa export.

Pak-Fa will first and formost be fielded among VVS and IAF, any other AF is not even Worth debating at this time, it is so far into the future.
Offline

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 929
  • Joined: 30 Apr 2014, 14:32

Unread post25 Jun 2015, 13:31

sferrin wrote:
bring_it_on wrote:
According to the Taiwan-based Want China Times, Admiral Zhang Zhaozhong told the People’s Daily this week that the J-31 was never built with China’s military in mind, and it was highly unlikely that the PLA would ever operate J-31s off of its aircraft carriers. Instead, the J-31 was designed for export to China’s strategic partners and allies, particularly those that couldn’t purchase the F-35.


So how exactly does it AIM at the "F-35 market" There's exactly one F-16 customer that I can think of that is likely to strongly consider the J-31 and most likely because it has little chance to get any F-35's given its strategic realignment with China.


Pakistan? At this point I'd be twitchy about selling them to Turkey either.


Yeah Pakistan, at least with Turkey you are supplying a NATO member and the collective capability of NATO. With Pakistan now deeply aligned with China strategically it makes little sense, to give them more cutting edge stuff. They do have the AMRAAM C now i think so they already have access to some of the more important and sophisticated systems. I believe the Chinese are planning to have a submarine operate out of Pakistan in the near term as well.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 22823
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post27 Feb 2017, 22:00

Oh well - no one can compete with the F-35 'short range' or BULLSHITE! But at least some F-35 capabilities acknowledged.
Here’s how the F-35 stacks up to Russia and China’s 5th-generation aircraft
23/27 Feb 2017 Alex Lockie

"...the F-35 doesn’t offer any significant upgrades in range, weapons payload, or dogfighting ability over legacy aircraft, while its competition does....

...while the US’s fifth generation hinges on controlling the battle from range [probably means BVR] and at the jump-off point, Russia’s PAK-FA seems to focus on close-up fights, which the designers of the F-35 didn’t concentrate on....

...The F-35 does everything well and seeks the informational high ground with massive computing power, all-aspect stealth, and the ability to network with almost every set of eyes and ears in the US military.

The F-35 has limited range and ability for close combat, but unlike the Chinese and Russian fifth-gens that try to score kills on their own, the F-35 plays like a quarterback, sending targeting information to any platform available.

As the F-35 software develops, pilots will be free to take on more demanding missions, but China’s and Russia’s fifth-gens will still be confined to relatively narrow ones."

Source: http://hrana.org/articles/2017/02/heres ... -aircraft/
OR
Original: http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-vs- ... tning-ii-1
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline

citanon

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 421
  • Joined: 01 Jul 2015, 21:42

Unread post28 Feb 2017, 01:55

At the rate things are going perhaps China should hire Pierre Sprey as a sales consultant and sell some to Canada. :mrgreen:
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5389
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post28 Feb 2017, 03:52

citanon wrote:At the rate things are going perhaps China should hire Pierre Sprey as a sales consultant and sell some to Canada. :mrgreen:



:lmao:
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5389
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post28 Feb 2017, 03:55

spazsinbad wrote:Oh well - no one can compete with the F-35 'short range' or BULLSHITE! But at least some F-35 capabilities acknowledged.
Here’s how the F-35 stacks up to Russia and China’s 5th-generation aircraft
23/27 Feb 2017 Alex Lockie

"...the F-35 doesn’t offer any significant upgrades in range, weapons payload, or dogfighting ability over legacy aircraft, while its competition does....

...while the US’s fifth generation hinges on controlling the battle from range [probably means BVR] and at the jump-off point, Russia’s PAK-FA seems to focus on close-up fights, which the designers of the F-35 didn’t concentrate on....

...The F-35 does everything well and seeks the informational high ground with massive computing power, all-aspect stealth, and the ability to network with almost every set of eyes and ears in the US military.

The F-35 has limited range and ability for close combat, but unlike the Chinese and Russian fifth-gens that try to score kills on their own, the F-35 plays like a quarterback, sending targeting information to any platform available.

As the F-35 software develops, pilots will be free to take on more demanding missions, but China’s and Russia’s fifth-gens will still be confined to relatively narrow ones."

Source: http://hrana.org/articles/2017/02/heres ... -aircraft/
OR
Original: http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-vs- ... tning-ii-1


Absurd article.... :doh:
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5389
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post28 Feb 2017, 04:04

popcorn wrote:http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-blog/2013/09/27/china-says-j-31-fighter-will-compete-with-f-35-for-sales/

China Says J-31 Fighter Will Compete With F-35 for Sales

A PLA Navy official has confirmed to state-run media outlets that China will export the Shenyang J-31 twin-engine fifth generation fighter jet.

According to the Taiwan-based Want China Times, Admiral Zhang Zhaozhong told the People’s Daily this week that the J-31 was never built with China’s military in mind, and it was highly unlikely that the PLA would ever operate J-31s off of its aircraft carriers. Instead, the J-31 was designed for export to China’s strategic partners and allies, particularly those that couldn’t purchase the F-35.

The J-31, often referred to as the Falcon Hawk, Falcon Eagle, F-60 or J-21, is one of China’s two prototype fifth-generation aircraft, the other being the J-20. It is built by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation, and images of the aircraft first began appearing on the internet around this time last year.

Photos of the J-31 allegedly conducting its first test run surfaced last November, followed by a one-quarter scale model of the stealth fighter being showcased the same month at the China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition, China’s largest airshow. It was identified only as the Advanced Fighter Concept at the show, although reports in China’s state-run media said that prototype was a J-31. More recently, last month, the Global Times posted a picture of a J-31 doing a test run on its online edition.

Previous reports in China’s state-run media have been mixed as to whether the J-31 would serve as the PLA’s future carrier-based fighter, or whether it was intended for foreign customers. Sun Cong, the chief designer of both China’s current carrier-based aircraft, the J-15, as well as the J-31, told the People’s Daily earlier this year that future versions of the J-31 might become China next-generation carrier-borne fighter jet. However, representatives from the Aviation Industry Corporation of China, a state-owned aerospace company that displayed the prototype at the airshow last November, billed it at the time as intended for export..

More follows..


The J-31 is not a threat to the F-35 Export Market. It's a threat to the Russian Fighter Export Market. As the PAK-FA has questionable performance and will be both costly to own and operate. Honestly, one of the biggest mistake Russia has ever made. Was to develop the PAK-FA instead of the Mikoyan LMFS or similar program. (IMHO)
Next

Return to F-35 versus XYZ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests