F-35 vs Su-30/35

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 16 Jan 2017, 23:27

The Su would have to be going pretty slow to execute a Cobra wouldn't it? Also AFAIK US pilots would never deliberately allow their aircraft to experience uncontrolled flight during an airshow.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 17 Jan 2017, 00:29

PS Do all the old guys remember the old Tweet thrust deflectors used to keep the engines from being at idle, at a very bad time?

They were called 'thrust attenuators'......and any time in a Tweet was a very bad time. :-D

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 17 Jan 2017, 01:05

outlaw162 wrote:
PS Do all the old guys remember the old Tweet thrust deflectors used to keep the engines from being at idle, at a very bad time?

They were called 'thrust attenuators'......and any time in a Tweet was a very bad time. :-D

LOL. Yeah I remembered that ("attenuators") after I posted, and almost edited it. If I remember correctly (after over 40 years of killing brain cells) they kicked out at 60% RPM. Any thing less took a week of Sundays to wind back up, and you might as well be in a glider. ..

BP

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Jan 2017, 02:21

IF the Goblin engine 3,000 lbs thrust in a Vampire was selected to idle when one was low/slow on approach then you wuz dead thereafter. DOG help us - manually accelerating that engine was done 'on the burble'. IF overfuelled it made loud horrible noises forecasting impending DOOM & engine meltdown. One learnt quickly how to NOT overfuel that MOFO! :mrgreen:

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 17 Jan 2017, 04:51

spazsinbad wrote:IF the Goblin engine 3,000 lbs thrust in a Vampire was selected to idle when one was low/slow on approach then you wuz dead thereafter. ..

So ... For those following our old man flashbacks ... you`re saying ...

Going idle on the throttles, at low/zero airspeed in a jet aircraft usually = BAD THING! No matter how exciting the maneuver ....
things can always get MORE exciting!
loud horrible noises forecasting impending DOOM ..

:shock: :shock:

Go with plan B, :)
BP

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Jan 2017, 05:05

This old man says 'he played knick knack on his bum' letting an A4G go to almost engine idle RPM at high altitude whilst the AFCS Auto Flight Control System V E R Y - S L O W L Y increased the AoA in 'height hold mode' and said pilot with head looking left and below for flight lead at low altitude for a rejoin only occasionally looking inside at 'something wicked this way comes'. So there was a tendency to roll left and we (me & the A4G - stop me if youse'n heard this before) STALLED snapping UP very nose high ROLLING to the LEFT with the nose going down very steeply into a SPIRAL DIVE (low speed thankfully) with the bleedin' great horizontal stabliliser having self trimmed via AFCS to FULL NOSE UP! In an A4G this meant the aircraft behaved like a spiraling bucking bronco. BANZAI BUCKEROO we wuz - briefly. Dost take a few seconds to use electric trim button to get the UP trim down to a manageable (in this out of control situation) level trim at IDLE. Meanwhile the Buckin' MoFo is rapidly snap rolling left as the Nose SNAPS up (again thankfully at low speed) all the whilst spiraling down very fastly. :roll: But trim becomes manageable as weez pass thru tenK so it then is just a matter of recovery wings level from an almost 90degree nose down attitude - altitude aplenty. <2 - 3 - relax & go home - chastened - idled> This OLD MAN almost became a STROLLING BONE instead of KNICK KNACK SEVEN UP IN HEAVEN! :devil: IDLE? Nope No More.

WHY did I do that? Trying to be a smart No.2 wingman - saving fuel - save fuel alright - we didn't rejoin & we went home. EARLY.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 03 Feb 2017, 14:05

Remember that one Russian puppet youtube video... well he made a part 2.

The video isn't all that bad when compared to most others that you would find out there in the wild but the author fails to take into account of the F-35s overall and VASTLY SUPERIOR SA and fails to mention somewhat recent exercises where F-35As were able to strike heavily defended targets (defended by both ground and air) and have zero loses. Though the video goes onto explain kinematic performances and cost as a bit of a toss up.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 03 Feb 2017, 15:29

Flankers can do mach 1.9 with 10AAM loadout?

That seems like quite a stretch...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 03 Feb 2017, 15:41

mixelflick wrote:Flankers can do mach 1.9 with 10AAM loadout?

There are A LOT of things wrong with this video... but I do give him some credit... just not much.

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 03 Feb 2017, 20:45

Yeah, I'm calling shenanigans on his claim. Even a 6 AAM loadout severely affects performance.

by vanshilar » 03 Feb 2017, 21:10

charlielima223 wrote:Remember that one Russian puppet youtube video... well he made a part 2.

I think he knows of the concepts, but doesn't really know how to put it together nor understand their implications. For example, he knows that low-frequency radar can detect stealth, probably because the media always says so when they say stealth is easily defeated. However, based on this, he then assumes that early-warning radar could vector Su-35's toward the F-35's, including attacking them from the sides to catch them unawares. That's unrealistic. There's a variety of other mistakes like that made throughout.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 04 Feb 2017, 00:06

wrightwing wrote:

Yeah, I'm calling shenanigans on his claim. Even a 6 AAM loadout severely affects performance.

IF, and IF, a basic Su-27 is able to hit 2.35 with two R-73s and four R-27s (those are draggy missiles) then I see the Su-35 hitting above M1.9 with four R-73s and six R-77s (less draggy than the R-27)
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by jessmo111 » 04 Feb 2017, 02:00

charlielima223 wrote:Remember that one Russian puppet youtube video... well he made a part 2.

The video isn't all that bad when compared to most others that you would find out there in the wild but the author fails to take into account of the F-35s overall and VASTLY SUPERIOR SA and fails to mention somewhat recent exercises where F-35As were able to strike heavily defended targets (defended by both ground and air) and have zero loses. Though the video goes onto explain kinematic performances and cost as a bit of a toss up.

So many assumptions in this video.

1. How do the SU-35s get an accurate track on the F-35?
Even if you use L-band radar, you need to get the data to the Sukkoi, and then the missile. Any break in that kill chain leaves the Su-35 blind.

2. What if the F-35 uses stand off weapons like JSM or Jassm?

3. The author here has no concept of LPI radar or AESA jamming.

4. The L-band is great for early warning but not accurate due to physics. So you have a L-band GCI station trying to guide flankers twoards fast moving stealth fighters.
See #1

Its almost like they are stuck in the past, and relying on a 4th generation mindset.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 04 Feb 2017, 05:23

I have little doubt that Flanker can climb high enough to fly Mach 2 with those six AAMs. The question is, can the pilot do it without a pressure suit? The real limitations to it happening isn't the potential of the platform. No, it's the limitations imposed by the equipment necessary to happen. Does your guy want to try to fly combat with the pressure suit on?

Probably not. Definitely not against something you can't find with your onboard sensors.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 04 Feb 2017, 06:26

Is there a way to make a Pressure suit with the flexibility / dexterity of a regular G-suit?

PreviousNext