F-35A versus Saab Gripen NG

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.

by Tiger05 » 09 Jun 2019, 17:46

alphaxraylima wrote:
ricnunes wrote:BTW, does anyone know if the Gripen E can carry 2000lb bombs on those two fuselage stations?

In case NO (which is what I suspect) then this even makes things worse for the Gripen since in order to carry 4K PGM's the Gripen would either carry 2x2000lb PGM's on the inner wing pylons and thus would only carry a single external fuel tank (instead of two) in the centerline fuselage pylon or would carry 4x1000lb (2 on the fuselage pylons as seen in the picture above and 2 on the inner pylons) but then it wouldn't carry any external fuel tanks as all!

Image of the Gripen Demo with two GBU-10s on the fuselage stations

Not bad for a light fighter. But can it carry a targeting pod with that loadout? It seems to me that there might be insufficient space for the pod to be carried on station 4 when loaded with those big bombs. :?:

The fact that i have not been able to find a single pic of the Gripen NG/E with a targeting pod when carrying that bomb loadout is not a good sign... :|

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 09 Jun 2019, 21:56

The LTP is chin mounted.
Attachments
Saab_Gripen_IN_1009_3621[1].jpg
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

by Tiger05 » 09 Jun 2019, 22:38

Maybe on that proposed Indian version but the LTP mounted on the Gripen E prototype sits lower and farther back. I wonder if this might interfere with GBU-10s when they are carried underbelly. Or cause store separation issues...
Attachments
Gripen_E-2.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 10 Jun 2019, 20:40

loke wrote:Xander you are exceeding expectations...

Let's make a bet: I bet 4 bottles/glasses of beer that the Gripen E will be delivered (almost) on time to the Swedish and Brazilian air force, and that it will exceed your expectations...

Beers will be delivered in Oslo, Norway only ;)

On time for this timeline or the dozen before it I've been hearing about for years?

You already mentioned a "rebaseline" ?? how can it be on time and rebaselined? on time since the rebaseline?

I guess if we just keep redefining everything to the point of arbitrary nothingness then everyone is a winner

It will be full service by 2023, no doubt. Just like a cheap simple evolution of a light fighter should be-- only 15 years in development too. Truly amazing. I just knew when I saw the CGI models in 2006 and read up on the Gripen NG it was going to be a model program, delivering "right on time" only 17 years from now.
Last edited by XanderCrews on 10 Jun 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Crews

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 10 Jun 2019, 20:43

He has a timeline in centuries.
Beers on me, tonight 9PM Local time.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 10 Jun 2019, 20:48

alphaxraylima wrote:
ricnunes wrote:BTW, does anyone know if the Gripen E can carry 2000lb bombs on those two fuselage stations?

In case NO (which is what I suspect) then this even makes things worse for the Gripen since in order to carry 4K PGM's the Gripen would either carry 2x2000lb PGM's on the inner wing pylons and thus would only carry a single external fuel tank (instead of two) in the centerline fuselage pylon or would carry 4x1000lb (2 on the fuselage pylons as seen in the picture above and 2 on the inner pylons) but then it wouldn't carry any external fuel tanks as all!

Demo is not an E
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 10 Jun 2019, 20:54

loke wrote:
Guided exclusively by patriotic impulses, as well as building on the numerical superiority of our Su-35 and Su-with 30 cm (more than 200 units) not only over the Swedish light fighters of the transitional generation "Gripen planes-NG ( two flying prototypes — "product 39-8" and "39-9"), but also over their earlier modifications of generation "4 +" JAS-39 c/D (only 98 machines), served by our experts for information about "no real threat from the updated" Gripenov "can be be treated as has long been a fait accompli.

Preparation of comparative reviews of such machines should be based not only on an assessment of the surface water data on their aviaparkah, but also on a detailed analysis of the possibilities of airborne RADARS, missile weapons air-to-air " radar signature aircraft, etc., and taking into account the possibility of a dujelnoj situation. It is these details often missed by the experts in the preparation of fresh material.

So, main armament multi-role fighter JAS-39 c/D Gripen planes» standard MS20 (July 2016 year for this standard is integrated into the "Gripenov" COUVE) and promising "-NG Gripen planes to gain supremacy in the air are URVB no longer AIM-120 family with AMRAAM, and promising long-range missile "interceptors" instantaneous "Meteor, MBDA integral rocket-Ramjet (equipped with a depth control system of filing a gas generator) allows keep unique products speed qualities even at a distance of 130-150 km from the starting point (podljotnom), that are unable to either American AIM-120 d, no domestic RVV-SD with conventional solid rocket motors. More importantly, just after the host of "Gripena" any suspension models (starting with MS20), inertial navigation system "Meteor" could receive target designation from AWACS aircraft E-3 c, Swedish "air radars» GlobalEye family and S-100B Argus ", on-board radar complexes of other fighters, as well as naval and ground-based radars by introducing in radiojelektronnuju" stuffing "rocket module two-sided secure radio communication.

This technological advantage can transform even outdated JAS-39 c/D in an extremely formidable opponents for the Su-35 and Su-with 30 cm, which, despite repeated excellence N011M bars radar and n 035 Irbis-e range the detection and capture of CC (in comparison with the ancient "gripenovskoj" RADAR Ericsson PS-05A) and not wait update their loads "air-propelled missiles" air-to-air "rvv-AE-PD, able to easily fend off possible" Meteors " .

The low energy features on-board radar complexes new JAS-39E/F hope also. If the early machine modification "c/D" carry on board radar with slotted antenna PS-05A, possessing a range of "capture" targets such as the Su-30 order of 75 km, forward-looking radar ES-05 "Raven" from the Italian company Selex Galileo ", submitted by the Active headlamps with more than 1000 PPM, capable of working on similar goals in 160-180 km, and with a remarkable level of pomehozashhishhjonnosti. Thus, one only detection capabilities "-NG Gripen planes are at one step or even a little they will out-strip the Su-30, Su-35, losing many times since.

Machine translated from: https://topwar.ru/153961-tak-li-bezobid ... chkov.html

This is what is important to Sweden -- not how it compares to the F-35 ;)

Why did you post that? I've had my fill of propoganda

Go say that to the Gripen fanboys, they couldn't wait to compare them a few years back... What happened?
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 10 Jun 2019, 21:45

XanderCrews wrote:
alphaxraylima wrote:

Demo is not an E

Precisely!

And moreover are those "GBU-10s" real ordinance (which I doubt) or mock ordinance that weights far less than the real weapons?

I would say that those "GBU-10s" are most likely mock even because that same Gripen Demo also carry mock Meteor Missiles (they are most likely mock since when the Gripen Demo flew this missiles wasn't still in service).
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by loke » 11 Jun 2019, 18:50

Saab has conducted the debut flight of its third test example of the Gripen E, with aircraft 39-10 completing a 57min sortie from its Linkoping site on 10 June.

Flown by Saab experimental test pilot Jakob Hogberg, the single-engined fighter follows two previous examples, which began flight testing in June 2017 and November 2018, respectively.

A so-called Gripen Demo airframe is also due to resume flights in the near future in support of the E-model programme, having recently received updates, including the installation of a new wide area display in the rear cockpit.

Speaking late last month, Eddy de la Motte, Saab’s head of business unit Gripen E/F, said the company aims to have eight of the new-generation aircraft flying before the end of this year, including four production examples that are now in final assembly in Linkoping.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ft-458808/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by swiss » 13 Jun 2019, 08:39

Last edited by swiss on 13 Jun 2019, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 13 Jun 2019, 09:13

Thanks swiss for the heads up. Here is Saab announcement about the issue:
https://saabgroup.com/media/news-press/ ... ght-tests/

Interesting to see how this affects the selection process...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 13 Jun 2019, 09:16

The reason, according to Saab, "is that the tests were only developed to evaluate 2019 operational aircraft." However, the Swedish fighter jet is not ready yet, it is still in development. However, Gripen E will be put into service "years before the planned delivery to Switzerland" and "meet all the required requirements," says Saab.

As good an excuse as any. Buuut... zero chance this will shut up the "GaN EW beats stealth" crowd.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 13 Jun 2019, 14:00

We need Pierre Sprey on this one...

Lightweight fighter, he'd love it without all of the pods/weapons/radar. Just lighten it up, give it two ASRAAM's and we're off to the races. Pierre wouldn't like this multi-role, air to everything idea. Maybe then SAAB would have a fighting chance.

Like, where? LOL

This Gripen E charade is obvious to anyone who's followed fighter aircraft over the past 20 years. Not going to cut it, even IF they deliver what they hope to. I hope Brazil or whoever flies it gets something out of it. As long as your neighbors will be flying prop planes, you'll be assured of air superiority/impunity when flying strike missions..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 13 Jun 2019, 14:44

The reason, according to Saab, "is that the tests were only developed to evaluate 2019 operational aircraft." However, the Swedish fighter jet is not ready yet, it is still in development. However, Gripen E will be put into service "years before the planned delivery to Switzerland" and "meet all the required requirements," says Saab.

hey look its that timeline I'm always complaining about.

I was told by every Gripen fan in the world how simple this whole thing would be, you'd think by 2019 they could have wrapped up testing on a program that started well over 10 years ago??
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 13 Jun 2019, 16:34

But, but, but... wasn't the Gripen E supposed to enter in service and thus become operational in 2019?? Saab guaranteed this! :mrgreen: :roll:

I know it's still early for Christmas but I really wish that Saab follows the same route regarding Canada (leaves the Canadian competition as well) and also by the way, that the Toronto Raptors wins the NBA Finals this year. :wink:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

PreviousNext