F-35A versus Saab Grippen NG

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post28 Nov 2018, 05:01

ricnunes wrote:LOL, we're almost in 2019 and the Gripen E program so far only produced two (2) flyable prototipes in which the second prototype which only flew for the first time yesterday and is apparently the one where the sensors and tactical systems will be tested on and Saab still says that the Gripen E will enter in service next year (2019)?? :doh:

And to know that there are people criticizing the F-35 program for its delays in detriment of the Gripen E program... :roll:

I believe I said years ago that the F-35 and Gripen E programs were going to intersect and see the f-35 finally out of the woods, just as the Gripen E was heading into them... not that the Gripen NG program will have huge massive problems, but flight test is where reality grabs your "plans" and "timetables" by the throat.

As much as it pains the fanboys Gripens suffered crashes in flight testing. And I would never wish such a thing on them again, its funny how quickly they forget, and then freak out at relatively trivial problems with other airplanes.

but as I have said before in this thread, Gripen Fans can't even agree on the Gripen NG Timeline. So with that in mind-- its never been delayed!! This simple upgrade to a humble uber fighter is going to be in full service by 2023, just as the Saab gods desired back in 2006.

Choose Crews

magitsu

Unread post28 Nov 2018, 12:45

playloud wrote:If this is the jet where the sensors will be tested, where is the IRST? It appears to be missing.

Indeed it is.

- We have added a number of computers and changed the configuration of some of the existing ones. It is also brand new software compared to 39-8. We have a new rescue system, which means new chair with new oxygen supply system, brand new radio system, more navigation features and a new display.

"It's not possible to complete the first flight when it comes to spearhead technology. Then you shoot yourself in the foot. You want to pick up the aircraft as soon as possible to control the aerodynamic properties and all the basic flight systems. But in parallel we drive a lot of system development in rigs on the ground. Then we will add the tactical systems afterwards. Waiting too long to fly involves a risk. There are tight schedules in such a project, he says.

When we discovered the previous generations A / B and C / D, there was some instability in the software at the beginning. Although E has looked good in the rigs, I expected some features not to function like clockwork. But the software has been ridiculously stable. To me, it is unthinkable and pleasing considering our tight schedules, "he says.

If the 39-8 flights have been the most important for verifying flight features, 39-9 will be increasingly focused on introducing tactical functions. However, some tests have already been made. Just a few weeks ago flew example 39-8 for the first time with a missile, Meteor. More weapons will be piloted in the future.

There are already extensive models developed for what happens when separating external loads in the form of weapons. But this must clearly be tested in reality as well.

A third and according to plan last specimens have been built and are undergoing ground tests. It will be ready for spring or summer. Then it's time to switch to the production of a pre-order. If the test plan is possible to deliver to the customer is still unclear.
https://www.nyteknik.se/fordon/nu-har-d ... ft-6940485

One logical change which has happened is that the Swedish AF will go with the Brazilian choice of a large screen instead of three smaller. http://www.defesanet.com.br/en/e_gripen ... -Gripens-/

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post28 Nov 2018, 13:13

XanderCrews wrote:As much as it pains the fanboys Gripens suffered crashes in flight testing. And I would never wish such a thing on them again, its funny how quickly they forget, and then freak out at relatively trivial problems with other airplanes.

but as I have said before in this thread, Gripen Fans can't even agree on the Gripen NG Timeline. So with that in mind-- its never been delayed!! This simple upgrade to a humble uber fighter is going to be in full service by 2023, just as the Saab gods desired back in 2006.

That has a name. It's called:

"Moving the goalposts"
Previous

Return to F-35 versus XYZ