The GAU-22/A thread

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post03 Feb 2019, 00:48

They seem to have isolated the cause and it should be just a matter of prioritizing a fix.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post03 Feb 2019, 04:55

In the AH-64 the targeting computer aligns the boresight of the bushmaster. I expect that aligning the gun in the F-35 would not be significantly different but it does require a few runs at the range.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post03 Feb 2019, 06:06

kimjongnumbaun wrote:In the AH-64 the targeting computer aligns the boresight of the bushmaster. I expect that aligning the gun in the F-35 would not be significantly different but it does require a few runs at the range.

There is a huge fundamental difference in that the bushmaster is a gimballed weapon.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post04 Feb 2019, 06:02

kimjongnumbaun wrote:In the AH-64 the targeting computer aligns the boresight of the bushmaster. I expect that aligning the gun in the F-35 would not be significantly different but it does require a few runs at the range.

On the other hand, it may be as simply as fitting a laser pointer engineered to precisely fit in the breach of the GAU-22/A, co-aligned with the bore, and then note where the little red (or green) dot appears on a calibrated target a known distance from the aircraft. With suitably precise survey equipment, you could measure some key points on the airframe, and on the target, and then compute the necessary slop, errr kentucky windage factors, errr... airframe specific GAU-22/A installation-aiming parameters which get fed into the sighting system.

If after a few gun runs... if problems still exist... re-examine & come up with plan 9.
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

chrisben

Banned

Unread post04 Feb 2019, 12:48

Extreme precision is not necessarily a quality in itself, specifically in A2A. You want some dispersion.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Feb 2019, 20:38

Extreme precision is not necessarily a quality in itself, specifically in A2A. You want some dispersion.

True, but if firing danger close, you want a pretty good idea where that dispersion is going to be.

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post04 Feb 2019, 20:57

I believe the dispersion is built-in to the GAU-22/A itself. The fact that the F-35B and F-35C gun pods are meeting contractual requirements tells me that the dispersion is fine. (UNLESS the gunmounts in the F-35A are loose or wobbly, which, somehow, I doubt.)

That suggests to me, and I believe some statements made in the quoted articles earlier, the issue in the F-35A is that when the gun was installed, it was somehow not identically and precisely aligned in the aircraft. But since reporting on this issue is sparse, and dubious (or just flat poor) at best, it is hard to know exactly.
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

wolfpak

Unread post05 Feb 2019, 00:01

It could be that the brackets the gun mounts to in the "A" allow for more flexure of the gun barrels throwing off accuracy. Might need to stiffen the brackets. Barrels move around a bit and I believe that was part of the problem on the 30mm on thee AC-130. In any event the manufacturer of a new 40mm weapon added 4 tapered splines to the barrel of it's gun to reduce flexing.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post04 Mar 2019, 12:38

Rheinmetall Supplies Ammunition for USAF F-35s: Working to Expand to RAAF
26 Feb 2019 SLDinfo

"...25mm x 137 Frangible Armour Piercing (FAP)… [described from earlier sources]

...In an article by Andrew McLaughlin published in the Australian Defence Business Review on February 25, 2019, the efforts of the company in Australia were highlighted. Rheinmetall Defence Australia has offered a new 25mm munition specifically designed for the F-35 Lightning II JSF to Australia.

Rheinmetall says the 25mm frangible armour piercing (FAP) ammunition designed for the F-35’s GAU-22/A gun is already in service with the USAF with the PGU-48/B designation. It offers superior lethality against air and ground targets by combining high penetration performance, versatility, reliability, low dispersion and handling safety....

...The FAP round was specifically developed by Rheinmetall for NATO F-35 operators to provide a non-depleted uranium and non-high explosive cartridge with superior lethality against armoured vehicles at extreme slant ranges, while still remaining effective against aircraft in air-to-air engagements."

Source: https://sldinfo.com/2019/02/rheinmetall ... d-to-raaf/
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics