F-35 'A God's Eye View Of The Battlefield' Gen HOSTAGE

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Jun 2014, 10:05

ONLY a LONG story VERY SHORT below.... This is a long article and MUST be read at source.
‘A God’s Eye View Of The Battlefield:’ Gen. Hostage On The F-35
06 Jun 2014 Colin Clark

"...Allies are a key part of the Red Flag exercises, especially as the F-35 becomes the plane flown by most of our closest allies, from Britain to Israel to Australia and beyond. But the toughest, most realistic exercises at Red Flag occur when it’s only American pilots flying against each other.

During those Red Flag-3 exercises they integrate space and cyber weapons into the fight, including those the F-35 possesses. Those capabilities make are “so effective that we have to be very careful that in a real world scenario we don’t hurt ourselves allowing them to play.”

Then he gets back to the point at hand. “So, to answer your question, it has tremendous capability. We’re in the early stages of exploring how to get the most effectiveness out of cyber and space, but we’re integrating it into the Air Operations Center; we’re integrating it into the combat plan; and it is absolutely the way of the future. And you’re right, the AESA radar has tremendous capacity to play in that game.”

Boil all that down and it comes to this. Gen. Hostage is saying that the F-35′s cyber capabilities are so effective — combined with space assets, which are often difficult to distinguish in effect from cyber capabilities — that the planes have to stop using them so the pilots can shoot at each other.

The obvious question that arises from this is, how can a radar system also be a cyber weapon? We’ve all seen those World War II movies where the radar dish sweeps back and forth. The energy beams out, strikes the enemy plane and comes back as a blip. What makes an AESA radar special is the fact that it beams energy in digital zeroes and ones — and the beam can be focused. This allows the radar to function as both a scanning radar, a cyber weapon and an electronic warfare tool....

...One of the keys to spoofing is, I’ve heard from several operators, being careful to avoid overwhelming the enemy with high-power jamming. That’s another problem with the Growler approach.

“The high power-jamming is ‘I’ll just overwhelm them with energy since I can’t get in there and do magic things with what they’re sending to me,’” Hostage says.

Much of this electronic warfare, as well as the F-35′s intelligence, reconnaissance and surveillance (ISR) capabilities, are made possible by a core processor that can perform more than one trillion operations per second. This allows the highly classified electronic warfare suite made by BAE Systems to identify enemy radar and electronic warfare emissions and, as happens with the EOTS, recommend to the pilot which target to attack and whether he should use either kinetic or electronic means to destroy it.

In our interview, Gen. Hostage points to the plane’s ability to gather enormous amounts of data, comb through it and very rapidly and simply present the pilot with clear choices as a key to its success.

“People think stealth is what defines fifth gen[eration aircraft]. It’s not the only thing. It’s stealth and then the avionics and the fusion of avionics. In my fourth gen airplane, I was the fusion engine, the pilot was the fusion engine....

...“What we’ve done with the fifth generation is the computer takes all those sensory inputs, fuses it into information. The pilot sees a beautiful God’s eye view of what’s going on. And instead of having to fuse three pieces of information and decide if that’s an adversary or not, the airplane is telling him with an extremely high degree of confidence what that adversary is and what they’re doing and what all your wingmen are doing. It’s a stunning amount of information,” Hostage says.

Combine that information with the kinetic, cyber and electronic warfare capabilities of the F-35 and we may know why South Korea, Japan, Israel and Australia have all recently committed to buy substantial numbers of F-35s, in spite of the aircraft being behind schedule, facing significant technical problems and, of course, being really expensive overall. Several sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations — from government and industry — tell me that each country went in to discussions with the Pentagon with a great deal of skepticism. But once country representatives received the most highly classified briefing — which I hear deals mostly with the plane’s cyber, electronic warfare and stealth capabilities — they all decided to buy. That kind of national and fiscal commitment from other countries may say more about the aircraft’s capabilities than anything else. After all, some of those countries are staring right at China, the country that has rolled out two supposedly fifth generation fighters. And Russia, the other country trying hard to build a rival to the F-22 and the F-35, sits not far behind."

Source: http://breakingdefense.com/2014/06/a-go ... -the-f-35/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 06 Jun 2014, 11:01

A glimpse into the ongoing revolution in warfare, where electrons can be just as lethal as bullets and bombs. This is the arena the F-35 is designed to excel in. Something which goes largely unappreciated as evidenced by all the focus on dogfighting, kinematic performance, etc. The pros in the know like the good General are constrained in what they can say but I can only speculate how the Senate hearing Down Under would have turned out if AM,Brown had been free to narrate how the jet will make possible a whole new way of combat.
Nice to see articles that begin to lift more of the skirts surrounding the more classified attributes if the F-35, the glimpse is tantalizing. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Jun 2014, 11:02

FarginHell this is getting too much for this human unit to read in any one time frame but what the hell - go there - do that. :devil: Once more a pile of verbiage to wade through but youse'll be rewarded - or brain dead like me - over/out. :mrgreen:
Boeing : Gen. Mike Hostage On The F-35; No Growlers Needed When War Starts
06 Jun 2014 Breaking Media

"...The issue of how effective the F-35 would be in a classic dogfight often arises. Gen. Hostage noted during our interview that the F-35 pilot who engages in a dogfight has either made a mistake or been very unlucky. Shooting down other planes using kinetics is only one role of the F-35. Perhaps air forces around the world are going to have to come up with a new honor other than ace to define those who fly the F-35. What should a pilot be awarded for outsmarting the best air defense systems in the world or injecting something like Stuxnet into the enemy’s command and control system? So much of what this aircraft will do has nothing to do with shooting down another pilot that we may need a new term...."

Source: http://www.4-traders.com/THE-BOEING-COM ... -18555448/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 06 Jun 2014, 15:29

That kind of national and fiscal commitment from other countries may say more about the aircraft’s capabilities than anything else.

Don't tell APA, sweetman, et al
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 06 Jun 2014, 15:52

F35 fighter pilots truly will be "multirole".....an EW, cyber and ISR operator in addition to the traditional fighter pilot tasks. A "renaissance" fighter pilot? Once again...Boeing/EA 18G....eat your heart out...USAF style :P!!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by taog » 06 Jun 2014, 17:19

spazsinbad wrote:FarginHell this is getting too much for this human unit to read in any one time frame but what the hell - go there - do that. :devil: Once more a pile of verbiage to wade through but youse'll be rewarded - or brain dead like me - over/out. :mrgreen:
Boeing : Gen. Mike Hostage On The F-35; No Growlers Needed When War Starts
06 Jun 2014 Breaking Media

"...The issue of how effective the F-35 would be in a classic dogfight often arises. Gen. Hostage noted during our interview that the F-35 pilot who engages in a dogfight has either made a mistake or been very unlucky. Shooting down other planes using kinetics is only one role of the F-35. Perhaps air forces around the world are going to have to come up with a new honor other than ace to define those who fly the F-35. What should a pilot be awarded for outsmarting the best air defense systems in the world or injecting something like Stuxnet into the enemy’s command and control system? So much of what this aircraft will do has nothing to do with shooting down another pilot that we may need a new term...."

Source: http://www.4-traders.com/THE-BOEING-COM ... -18555448/

interesting in this:
“Because it can't turn and run away, it's got to have support from other F-35s. So I'm going to need eight F-35s to go after a target that I might only need two Raptors to go after. But the F-35s can be equally or more effective against that site than the Raptor can because of the synergistic effects of the platform.”
so,isn't it the capability (coordination with others)that F35 emphasis on

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Jun 2014, 20:47

These articles appearing and disappearing on the internet and being updated without this being clarified is doing my head in. But hey my head was done in by the capabilities of the F-35 long ago and it does take a lot of reading to even begin to understand what it can do (given the problem of classified material which is not available to me - the public). But anyway the '4 Traders' article seen above about the GROWLERS is now back online at Break De Fence <sigh>.
Gen. Mike Hostage On The F-35; No Growlers Needed When War Starts
06 Jun 2014 Colin Clark

Source: http://breakingdefense.com/2014/06/gen- ... ar-starts/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Jun 2014, 21:10

For those who want to know how to BREAK A FENCE - here is the video:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Jun 2014, 22:50

The comments below this article are a barrel of laughs:

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/06/gen- ... ar-starts/

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by lookieloo » 07 Jun 2014, 08:33

spazsinbad wrote:The comments below this article are a barrel of laughs:

I thought the same thing. ELP, Wonk, and Don being counter-trolled was hilarious; they usually (along with Gary Church) have the place to themselves, and the time they spent responding to their tormentors probably ate somewhat into their other commentating activities for the day.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 07 Jun 2014, 15:26

lookieloo wrote:

I thought the same thing. ELP, Wonk, and Don being counter-trolled was hilarious; they usually (along with Gary Church) have the place to themselves, and the time they spent responding to their tormentors probably ate somewhat into their other commentating activities for the day.

LOL..seems the brits are buying a STOVL version of the phoon :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 07 Jun 2014, 15:39

lookieloo wrote:

LOL Oh my god I feel like I should have bought a ticket for that, Its was hilarious. Eric Palmers go to response "from a nameless internet troll" was great and even old peter goon showed up to try help eric out-- to no avail

Jesus those guys were hilarious! Even a Big Lebowski reference in there!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I stood up and I applauded.
Choose Crews

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 07 Jun 2014, 17:09

Don Bacon - How the Brits and Marines plan to support such a complex system as the F-35B at small remote locations, afloat and ashore, is beyond me

Truth-hurts chap - Please don't say that. The USMC and the brits were counting on you to divulge " how to operate the F-35B" in one of your posts around the internet. They have no ideal of how to go about operating it, and relied 100% on your input. If its beyond you, then its pretty much beyond both those services.

Don Bacon - F-35 operational testing won't start until 2015 at the earliest.

Wang Guanzhong - Get your $hit straight. Your colleague in the department (ELP) is saying that it (operational testing) will never occur. Having this sort of discrepancy paints the entire effort as being badly coordinated and may result in a cut in your weekly pay cheque. Consider this as a warning.

Classics..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 07 Jun 2014, 17:49

bring_it_on wrote:Don Bacon - How the Brits and Marines plan to support such a complex system as the F-35B at small remote locations, afloat and ashore, is beyond me

Truth-hurts chap - Please don't say that. The USMC and the brits were counting on you to divulge " how to operate the F-35B" in one of your posts around the internet. They have no ideal of how to go about operating it, and relied 100% on your input. If its beyond you, then its pretty much beyond both those services.

Don Bacon - F-35 operational testing won't start until 2015 at the earliest.

Wang Guanzhong - Get your $hit straight. Your colleague in the department (ELP) is saying that it (operational testing) will never occur. Having this sort of discrepancy paints the entire effort as being badly coordinated and may result in a cut in your weekly pay cheque. Consider this as a warning.

Classics..

He also said:

but we haven't heard a peep recently about how the Marines intend to actually use the F-35B.

If there is anything we know about US Marines is that they don't know how to turn anything into a weapon are very hesitant to solve problems with firepower or violence, they will probably use the F-35B as shade from the hot Yuma sun.

Also, have we noticed the pattern that if they "havn't heard" then it must not exist? No ego there. How could not hear about what the USMC is planning to do with the F-35? They never shut up about it. :mrgreen:

Don Bacon has no teh Google? I can haz think they will land it on shipz/bombz things.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=USMC+F-35
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 Jun 2014, 18:05

:mrgreen: Thanks for an early morning laff guys. :mrgreen: One of many classic comments wot caught me aye....
"⚑ Avatar h_ELP

The F-35 has three basic problems that would kill it before it is acquired in any serious numbers -

1) Its size and wingspan. As Mr Don pointed out in an earlier news story, the jet is too big. It can neither fit on a carrier and an LHD would do well to fit around 2 if they are allowed to rub against each other. The photo of it flying next to the typhoon clearly shows that even the nimitz class cannot take more than 5 at the most. The Navy is yet to test whether the F-35C can actually stay on a carrier. This has never been published, that the F-35C can stand on a carrier without rolling over and falling into the water is not KNOWN and no report has been published to the same effect. So therefore the F-35 despite of landing on a carrier has to take off because if it does not it will simply slide off due to the slick RAM treatment on its wheels and we will have a 500 million dollar aircraft take a swim.

2) The greatest problem is with the B version or as most notable folks call, the BETA version of the jet. It is supposed to take off from forward basing yet for a given situation it fails to protect the basic command and control infrastructure of my basement's workstation from destruction because the PIG burns too hot to take off vertically and the size would mean that it would not be able to come down the stairs. So the F-35B cannot protect even the most basic C2C structures that of my PAD.

3) The third biggest problem is that the jet has not been designed around an operational requirement. We are producing them in something that is called concurrency yet they are going to the services and are being parked. Most air force pilots eagerly wake up in the morning and see where mr bacon and mr policy wonk have posted so that they could take notes. Notes which would eventually be incorporated into the F-35 manual and syllabus. If these great individuals stop posting their literature the entire JSF program would come to a grinding halt. To outsource the entire strategy, tactics and doctrine to two individuals namely Mr Policy Wonk and Mr Bakon is quite risky, given that these individuals can choke on a slice of pizza or a donut while typing away during one of their 20 hour marathon coordinated intercontinental Internet trolling runs and be out of action for a few days or weeks/months etc. This would be a great setback to the program's established goals for IOC.
Regards Eric Pamler"
Last edited by spazsinbad on 07 Jun 2014, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.

Next