SDB II Scores Hits in Flight Tests

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post06 Jul 2020, 20:43

quicksilver wrote:Sounds more like DMS (diminishing manufacturing sources) than obsolescence.

"What do you mean we can't buy Chinese chips anymore?"
"There I was. . ."

marauder2048

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post06 Jul 2020, 20:48

element1loop wrote:
spazsinbad wrote:
Production of one of the F-35′s most anticipated bombs has been on hold for almost a year [read at URL best]
12 Jun 2020 Valerie Insinna

... Although the weapon has not even been officially fielded, some components are already becoming obsolete. A Raytheon subcontractor that makes circuit cards used in the guidance system is expected to stop producing those components years sooner than anticipated. As a result, that the Defense Department may have to order all circuit cards needed for the program of record before December, according to the GAO ....

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020/06 ... st-a-year/

A different metallurgical brew is probably all the re-design needed.

But a company that stops making a profitable card for a new front-line battle weapon in high demand, in a time of rising geopolitical tension, territorial dispute, ideological polarization and rising customer mil budgets and a focus on strike and attack weapons? This sounds like a subcontractor with accounting and management problems that go well beyond technical obsolescence. Is SDBII obsolete? It's an affordable new leading-edge weapon.

/BS

Is there evidence that the SDB II has been profitable for Raytheon? They've blown through the fixed price contracts
on the procurement side; lower-tier suppliers get paid last and may not be able or willing to help with the
overruns.

In any event, lifetime buys are quite common.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post07 Jul 2020, 01:51

“Is there evidence that the SDB II has been profitable for Raytheon?”

x2

The appearance would actually be to the contrary.

boogieman

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post24 Aug 2020, 17:12

HItting moving targets at up to 45 miles away? I'm assuming that's a supersonic release from a Raptor flying way high, but nonetheless impressive.

I can't even imagine being targeted by this thing. Multiple SDB's probably coming from all different directions, gliding silently until impact. And bomb trucks like the F-15E and probably F-15EX are going to carry beacoup rounds, enough to stop several naval divisions. I don't even wanna know how many a B-1B, B-2 or B-21 can carry. Unless they're targeting the Chinese or Russian mainland, they must run out of targets fast..

zerion

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Sep 2020, 01:26

Video: B-1B capable of launching 96 SDBs in under 50 seconds.

https://twitter.com/lfx160219/status/13 ... 3943672832

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post19 Sep 2020, 17:59

mixelflick wrote:HItting moving targets at up to 45 miles away? I'm assuming that's a supersonic release from a Raptor flying way high, but nonetheless impressive.

I can't even imagine being targeted by this thing. Multiple SDB's probably coming from all different directions, gliding silently until impact. And bomb trucks like the F-15E and probably F-15EX are going to carry beacoup rounds, enough to stop several naval divisions. I don't even wanna know how many a B-1B, B-2 or B-21 can carry. Unless they're targeting the Chinese or Russian mainland, they must run out of targets fast..

The Raptor doesn't currently carry the SDB II. The 45 mile range is likely with a M.8 to M.9 launch at 35 to 40k. That's also probably a conservative figure.
Previous

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics