Jan 19 1991 airbattle

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

by nastle » 02 Jun 2020, 16:24

The famous battle on Jan 19 , 1991 between f-15/mig-25 resulting in 2 downed foxbats by Tollini and Pitts

which version of mig-25 was in this battle ?

The USAF pilots reported 4 pylons under the wings of the foxbat so likely PD/PDS [but yefim gordon's book has pictures of RB verisons with wing pylons too] but were they reported to be carrying any AAMs ? did the foxbats fire any AAMs during the battle ? if not why were they taking on the f-15s unarmed ?

The iraqi veterans say they were "foxbat B" recon types leading F15s into a " SAM trap" ?

this is per book of Tom Cooper and Doug Dildy

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 02 Jun 2020, 19:14

If they operated both PDS and R versions as stated then to know for certain at least 2 ways I can think of:

1. Get the Iraqi war records for the aircraft that didn't return that day including the required details including serial number.

2. Get to the crash site first and examine it.

by nastle » 02 Jun 2020, 20:27

basher54321 wrote:If they operated both PDS and R versions as stated then to know for certain at least 2 ways I can think of:

1. Get the Iraqi war records for the aircraft that didn't return that day including the required details including serial number.

2. Get to the crash site first and examine it.

the book is silent on this issue and in the acig forum people seem to agree that it was the R/RB version
but we will see if TOm Cooper responds to this as he is the author

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 02 Jun 2020, 21:17

nastle wrote:the book is silent on this issue and in the acig forum people seem to agree that it was the R/RB version

Normally it is missing because that information was not at hand during the time it was being researched - which is how it should be really.

If they have not been able to get the pilots involved or the records then I guess someone in the Iraqi Air Force with links to the relevant squadron who could be verified.

by nastle » 03 Jun 2020, 01:51

basher54321 wrote:
nastle wrote:the book is silent on this issue and in the acig forum people seem to agree that it was the R/RB version

Normally it is missing because that information was not at hand during the time it was being researched - which is how it should be really.

If they have not been able to get the pilots involved or the records then I guess someone in the Iraqi Air Force with links to the relevant squadron who could be verified.

well according to this book iraqi sources it was R/RB but F-15 pilots think it was PD/PDS due to wing pylons
I would think visual identification is not the most reliable in this case but in absence of concrete information its kind of up in the air