4th vs 5th gen differences

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

by knowan » 25 Jan 2019, 21:14

wrightwing wrote:The current MLU for the F-22 includes new sensors. No specifics have been mentioned, but it's already got radar and ESM covered, which doesn't leave a whole lot of guessing, as to what sort of sensors they are.

Did the F-22 design leave room for an IRST system as a possible future upgrade?

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 25 Jan 2019, 22:10

knowan wrote:
wrightwing wrote:The current MLU for the F-22 includes new sensors. No specifics have been mentioned, but it's already got radar and ESM covered, which doesn't leave a whole lot of guessing, as to what sort of sensors they are.

Did the F-22 design leave room for an IRST system as a possible future upgrade?

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2018/10/1 ... rnization/

"In 2024, funding kicks in for sensor enhancements, a project that is expected to run for several years.

"What we’re looking for is a sensor to complement the radar that’s on the jet,” Merchant said.

There isn’t much detail available yet about upgrades that are still six years away, but he stressed that it goes back to the Raptor’s mantra of “first look, first shot, first kill.”

“I want to maintain that first-look capability and be able to get a shot off,” Merchant said. “So I need a target-quality track at extended ranges outside what my radar can do today.”

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 25 Jan 2019, 22:13

A return of the wing-root IRST? Not sure what the angular resolution you can get to get a track from two sides of one plane. Datalinking between two planes though...
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 25 Jan 2019, 22:22

They should save money and use the AdvEOTS that will be in the F-35.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 12 Feb 2019, 15:20

@My mediocre opinion...(Posting secretly. 8) )
From a Radius or Range perspective, I would like to applaud the F-35's Maneuverability.
    -F-35A's currently revealed max radius is AA 760 nm. (LM pdfs Israel Profile.)
    -F-35A's Radius is larger than 2x fuel tank F-15C's mission twice times. (Video of Lt. Col. Scott CAP Gunn.)
    -F-35A's leg is longer than F-15E. (Video of Lt. Col. Christine Mau.)
    -F-35A's Range is similar as ‘maxed-out’ F-16 with every auxiliary fuel tank. (LM Steve Over at ILA 2018.)
In addition to having Maneuverability, this long Radius or Range is also coexistence, furthermore, I think that it's amazing that both stealth and sensor are also compatible or coexistence.
When configuring to achieve these radius or range profiles on other Fighter, how much will the Maneuverability etc performance degrade? 8)(Devil's question :devil: )

Previous