T-X Thread

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 28 Sep 2018, 14:11

talkitron wrote:Other than being a new design and a low price, what are the known distinguishing features of the Boeing/SAAB design?

Well, "new design" covers a lot of territory... More will be revealed in due time.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 28 Sep 2018, 19:27

Congratulations to Boeing and Saab. I'm very pleased with this decision. I feel the Boeing/Saab design is the right choice and they will deliver as specified and promised.
I'm watching...

by tbarlow » 28 Sep 2018, 22:13

Anyone know what the MDS will be? The T-?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 29 Sep 2018, 00:30

thepointblank wrote:
sferrin wrote:I'm surprised at this. It was Lockheed's to lose. T-50s are in production right now. I wonder how many delays and cost increases we'll see in this as Boeing tries to figure it out. (It's probably a tad more difficult than making a 767 into a tanker when they'd already done that before.)

I'm reading Boeing is assuming almost ALL of the risk in their offering; they offered a fixed-price contract. If Boeing blows the budget, they could be out millions, even billions. Risky for sure, for Boeing.

Boeing also makes a lot of money on the commercial side, which allows them to bid more aggressively than LM or NG can usually.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Banned

by zero-one » 29 Sep 2018, 08:47

Lots of questions surrounding this.

First , for the life of me I couldn't find the name of the Boeing design. Boeing's T-X proposal is what everyone seems to call it. And is it just a prototype or is it the production model.

I believe the aircraft itself is just part of the program and simulators and integration with other training assets is another.
But just judging by the aircraft alone, did the DOD make the right call? The only performance metric I found was an emphasis to sustain 6.5-7.5G maneuvers. Perhaps our resident aero engineers can do some quick analysis between the contenders, I personally think the Lockheed T-50A was the toughest competitor.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 29 Sep 2018, 08:52

I can see the T-X be the next F-5 that we use to help out allied nations around the world with.

Banned

by zero-one » 29 Sep 2018, 11:01

KamenRiderBlade wrote:I can see the T-X be the next F-5 that we use to help out allied nations around the world with.

I think the T/A and F/A-50s have that base covered

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 29 Sep 2018, 12:05

rheonomic wrote:
thepointblank wrote:
sferrin wrote:I'm surprised at this. It was Lockheed's to lose. T-50s are in production right now. I wonder how many delays and cost increases we'll see in this as Boeing tries to figure it out. (It's probably a tad more difficult than making a 767 into a tanker when they'd already done that before.)

I'm reading Boeing is assuming almost ALL of the risk in their offering; they offered a fixed-price contract. If Boeing blows the budget, they could be out millions, even billions. Risky for sure, for Boeing.

Boeing also makes a lot of money on the commercial side, which allows them to bid more aggressively than LM or NG can usually.

This.

Banned

by zero-one » 29 Sep 2018, 14:45

rheonomic wrote:Boeing also makes a lot of money on the commercial side, which allows them to bid more aggressively than LM or NG can usually.

Wonder if Boeing can use this to their advantage in the future.
If they can offer their PCA candidate at a fixed price then that gives them a massive advantage against the competition.

Unlike Lockheed and Northrop, they don't need to maximize profits as much as they make so much from their commercial contracts as well. Minimum profit is better than no profit after all.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 30 Sep 2018, 05:50

zero-one wrote:Wonder if Boeing can use this to their advantage in the future.
If they can offer their PCA candidate at a fixed price then that gives them a massive advantage against the competition.

Unlike Lockheed and Northrop, they don't need to maximize profits as much as they make so much from their commercial contracts as well. Minimum profit is better than no profit after all.

They’ve gone 3 for 3 with this approach on the last few major acquisitions. Be interesting to see how sustainable this is long term.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

by boilermaker » 30 Sep 2018, 07:28

KamenRiderBlade wrote:I can see the T-X be the next F-5 that we use to help out allied nations around the world with.

It seems to be very light and with a thrust to weight ratio of 2-1. Imagine a F16 with 2 GE engines...

Banned

by zero-one » 30 Sep 2018, 08:34

boilermaker wrote:

It seems to be very light and with a thrust to weight ratio of 2-1. Imagine a F16 with 2 GE engines...

People, we already have that. Its called the F/A-50 or T/A-50 if you're a bit tighter on the wallet, Tejas if thats your fancy, No, what about the Hawk 200. Competition you ask? Theres the JF-17 from China and Yak-130 from Russia. The Grippen C is also somewhere in that category.

Honestly the F-16 already filled the low cost, lightweight fighter category when it came out. However it's become so much better over the years and a tad bit more expensive.

Plus the fact that the US, the economic titan that she is doesn't necessarily translate "low cost" like the rest of us. the F-16C is considered cheap over there, but for developing countries, thats still a bit too pricey. Thus the F/A-50 and the like fills in a new category.
-The glorified trainer
-Trainer jet on steroids
-Trainer with a gun
-Cheaper than cheap low cost fighters
-Entry level MRFs

Point is, Boeing doesn't need to develop this into another one of those if there are no buyers and judging by the F/A-50s exports so far. I don't think they will. Don't get me wrong the T-50 line is doing okay, but not good enough in my opinion for Boeing to notice.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by talkitron » 30 Sep 2018, 23:33

zero-one wrote:Point is, Boeing doesn't need to develop this into another one of those if there are no buyers and judging by the F/A-50s exports so far. I don't think they will. Don't get me wrong the T-50 line is doing okay, but not good enough in my opinion for Boeing to notice.

Whether Boeing is planning to enter this market or not is not something anyone here knows. The defense business seems to involve chasing a lot of lower volume contracts and I am sure Boeing knows how to do that.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 01 Oct 2018, 00:49

The Boeing T-X will not become another fighter like the F-5. As Stealth is now part of the game....

That said, it should have good prospects in the export market.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 01 Oct 2018, 01:00

With its very high thrust to weight ratio it would be quite an energy handful in close maneuvering, perhaps they can add a few to the aggressor squadrons to supplement the F-16s.

PreviousNext