AIM-7 Sparrow still being used?

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 26 Sep 2014, 15:37

Saw this recent (as in a few days old) video and was surprised to see both Hornets and Super Hornets packing AIM-7s. Thoughts? I figure maybe they're trying to use those first as they've got less life in them than the AIM-120s and AIM-9Xs (which they were also carrying). Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LsBbtJT9kU
"There I was. . ."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by cantaz » 26 Sep 2014, 17:42

Well, we still do here in Canada. It's better than using up the captive flight life of the more expensive AMRAAMs.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 26 Sep 2014, 17:51

sferrin wrote:Saw this recent (as in a few days old) video and was surprised to see both Hornets and Super Hornets packing AIM-7s. Thoughts? I figure maybe they're trying to use those first as they've got less life in them than the AIM-120s and AIM-9Xs (which they were also carrying). Thoughts?

The only story I have was from an F-15 driver. This was years ago when they were flying with both Sparrow's and AMRAAM's but... he said the sparrow's warhead made for one hell of an explosion. Much moreso than AMRAAM. I suppose the end result is what matters, but still thought it courious..

Banned

by sergei » 26 Sep 2014, 18:53

if the old rocket is used something means with new not well or at the price of their use

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by tacf-x » 26 Sep 2014, 19:59

sferrin wrote:Saw this recent (as in a few days old) video and was surprised to see both Hornets and Super Hornets packing AIM-7s. Thoughts? I figure maybe they're trying to use those first as they've got less life in them than the AIM-120s and AIM-9Xs (which they were also carrying). Thoughts?

I think Australia still trains with Sparrows too. I believe your assumption is correct in that they might as well use them instead of just throwing them away. While the sparrow is a larger missile than the AMRAAM the AMRAAM is faster and therefore the fragments from the warhead going off should have more kinetic energy from their forward/axial velocity to compensate for the smaller warhead size so I don't see why the sparrow is more useful for intercepting larger targets like what some people seem to be suggesting.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 26 Sep 2014, 21:09

Sorry, the AMRAAM is not that fast in the terminal phase compared tot he Sparrow. The Sparrow on the other hand has twice the explosive.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by FlightDreamz » 29 Sep 2014, 04:27

Other posters already beat me to it, but I'll throw in my :2c: anyway. While sprstdlyscottsmn, mixelflick and tacf-x pointed out the AiM-7 does have a bigger warhead (could prove useful in some situations I guess). I think the fact that they're in inventory, already paid for, and have a limited shelf life - they're just using the Sparrows up (as Sferrin and tacf-x have already speculated).
A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing.— Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 02 Oct 2014, 07:53

I like how they say they are refueling to go strike, yet there nothing but A2A. There's enough empty pylons maybe there on there way out?

Banned

by sergei » 04 Oct 2014, 23:26

Finnish Defence Forces reported that the United States had not delivered any of the AMRAAM anti-aircraft missiles they had ordered due to a mysterious engine malfunction in cold weather that the manufacturer, Raytheon, has not been able to determine the fault of.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 05 Oct 2014, 09:06

sergei wrote:Finnish Defence Forces reported that the United States had not delivered any of the AMRAAM anti-aircraft missiles they had ordered due to a mysterious engine malfunction in cold weather that the manufacturer, Raytheon, has not been able to determine the fault of.

You know Sprey and his ilk will be on this.

Claiming how the Meteor is the proper solution to the AMRAAM problem now.

=D

Banned

by sergei » 05 Oct 2014, 16:14

KamenRiderBlade wrote:
sergei wrote:Finnish Defence Forces reported that the United States had not delivered any of the AMRAAM anti-aircraft missiles they had ordered due to a mysterious engine malfunction in cold weather that the manufacturer, Raytheon, has not been able to determine the fault of.

You know Sprey and his ilk will be on this.

Claiming how the Meteor is the proper solution to the AMRAAM problem now.

=D

Sprey? Meteor ? 0_o

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 05 Oct 2014, 17:04

That was reported in 2012 - they still could use the older AIM-120s they had.

Would think some progress had been made by now?

http://www.airforce-technology.com/news ... -air-force

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 06 Oct 2014, 01:49

basher54321 wrote:

That was reported in 2012 - they still could use the older AIM-120s they had.

Would think some progress had been made by now?

http://www.airforce-technology.com/news ... -air-force

Yeah, that‘s old news.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... es-379611/
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 06 Oct 2014, 09:36

Banned

by sergei » 06 Oct 2014, 09:38

"We expect to recover mid-next year," maybe they aren't in time or Norway has no money for replacement?

Next