Salute! Toast the Weed! (Or... I am not worthy...)

The F-16.net watering hole - this is the place the place to exchange stories, favourite aviation bar locations and military-grade cocktail recipies!
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 26 Aug 2018, 18:29

A toast to those with big brass ones, who have gone before us, and those still with us... I salute you with a low, FAST pass, and a shot of Weed!

It was my privilege and honor to spend a few hours with Gums at his summer place the other day. I can assure you Gums is the real deal, still kicking, with stories of aviation exploits par excellence. I was treated to many stories, and answers to all my questions, of which I had many.

Gums was also gracious enough to initiate me to The Jeremiah Weed. We toasted aviators all, Gum's flightmates, and gave a hearty hurray! for the next man who dies. I shall, however, leave it to Gums should he like to post the actual toast from C flight of the 356th TFS... lest I incur the wrath of those long past and be cursed with a pox on my house and condemned to live with the damned until the end of days.

I don't know what all the fuss is about Weed... properly prepared, I found it to be a decent liquer, slightly syrupy in consistency, with a sweetness to it. I dunno where all these slanderous JP-8 comparisons come from. But if Weed tastes like JP-8, maybe I'd like the good stuff too...

For those wishing to toast fallen aviators with The Weed, a liquor store near me apparently will ship it to you. The rotgut is only $16 for a bottle. Perhaps not as cheap as my former flying club's nom de guerre, Ten HI whiskey, but even that Gums claims makes a fine Irish Whiskey with a teaspoon of sugar.

https://www.davidsonsliquors.com/jeremi ... queur.html
Attachments
JeremiahWeed_512x768.jpg
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 26 Aug 2018, 18:37

I feel this is obligatory:
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by FlightDreamz » 26 Aug 2018, 19:00

Jeremiah Weed - needs a lyric sheet to go along with that (ya know, so people could sing along)! :pint: :beer:
A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing.— Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 26 Aug 2018, 19:33

Ask and thou shalt receive - Salute to Gums!

When I was a young’n, my daddy said to me
Son I wanna know what it is you wanna be
I said I’ll never wear a tie, but I like the color green
I think I’m gonna wanna fly the f***ing F-16
Now I heard my mama screaming ‘cause I yelled it right out loud
So daddy had to wash my mouth but I knew that he was proud
He gave me a shot that was something in between
Lysol and alcohol with a touch of gasoline

Fox 1, when you’ve got nothing left
Fox 2, it’s that heater in your chest
Fox 3, the only friend you’ll ever need
That c***sucker motherf***er Jeremiah Weed

Now if you drive the Eagle then you drink it all for show
And if you drive the Hog then you gotta drink it slow
And if you drive the Viper then you gotta drink it fast
‘Cause this aint a time to loiter and we aint got the gas
Now if you drive the Stinkbug then drink it on your own
And if you drive the Mudhen then you can’t drink it alone
And if you’re stuck in UAVs then my advice to you
Is to drink the f***ing bottle, man, there’s nothing left to do

That c***sucker mother***er Jeremiah Weed

The greatest fighter pilot that ever I did see
Came in one day and took his place at the pisser next to me
I knew he was a killer I could smell it when he peed
That f***er drank his coffee with a big ol’ shot of weed
Now everyone is curious and they all want to know
Does it make you smarter will it make your ***** grow
It won’t bring ya women and it won’t bring ya luck
So why do we drink it? ‘Cause it tastes like f***!

That c***sucker mother***er Jeremiah Weed

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 26 Aug 2018, 22:34

Salute!

Steve is too gracious. And it was he that found the local Weed ( not the other stuff) and Blind Pilot got it up here about two months ago.

I attach the ROE for my A-7 flight's Weed Locker that Waldo built and it comes to all our rejoins. It is a piece of work. Handle on top of the case is a 20 mm round that is carefully mounted. Inside are our goblets and the back panel has our picture from those heady days at Korat. The ROE document also has the toast and an article that applies to the late fellow attack pilot -John McCain. Upon hearing the news last night, I went out on the deck and threw a nickel on the grass, then gazed to the west, maybe catching a glimpse of him as he flew to that place where all attack and fighter pilots end up.

Steve and I had a slug of the precious Weed, then chased it down with some Colorado Native craft beer. I never drink the Weed except for toasts and never solo. The C-flight bottle is safely in Charleston as we speak. And here we were back in 1973:

And then the Weed Locker....

Gums sends....
Attachments
weed-locker-roe.pdf
(63.63 KiB) Downloaded 1277 times
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 27 Aug 2018, 04:32

So jealous! I would love to have a shot of Weed with Gums. I used to be able to get it at the local liquor store, but alas no longer. I always enjoyed it. Love the Dos Gringos song. Love the story of how it came to be tradition. And As an Arizonan, I'm touched by the Salute to our late great aviator.

Fox one!
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer