Nellis and Las Vegas

The F-16.net watering hole - this is the place the place to exchange stories, favourite aviation bar locations and military-grade cocktail recipies!

by petramark » 01 Sep 2011, 07:21

Going to be stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas!! So excited!! Anyone currently stationed there or recently there?? Besides the strip and downtown, are there any "military friendly" hang outs to go to or favs for airmen?? I really appreciate any help!!!
Thank you :D

by dahaas57 » 01 Sep 2011, 15:59

I was stationed there in 1989/1990 and the 25 Club outside the front gate was a great military hangout... I just Googled it and found a link to the new 25 Club... Sounds like it's still going strong...
http://www.cleandesignlv.com/images/25Club-Party.pdf

by massivefx » 05 Nov 2011, 08:49

I live in Vegas too and have seen them fly low flights over me before. One time was on the corner of Maryland and Sahara; a few were banking about 1000 feet above me. When I whipped out the cell phone to snap a pic my phone locked up the moment I took the picture. NEVER has my cell locked up the way it did that time. Definitely probably had some anti electronic stuff working.

I do know that sometimes they land at McCarren, so that could be the reason for low flight over the city.

As for legalities, when are you going to learn that the military can do whatever the hell they want to, regardless of whether it’s legal or not lol.

by Weasel_Keeper » 20 Nov 2011, 08:01

massivefx wrote: Definitely probably had some anti electronic stuff working.

What??? :wtf:

massivefx wrote:As for legalities, when are you going to learn that the military can do whatever the hell they want to, regardless of whether it’s legal or not lol.

What??? :shrug:
Cave Putorium!
SoWW #2485

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by earlheron » 20 Nov 2011, 20:19

There was a vendor that worked through the concierge of the Mirage Hotel who held floating tours from the base of the Hoover Dam downriver describing the history of its construction etc. It was reasonable cost and you didn't have to get wet. Catamaran with a motor from what I remember.
I also enjoyed the many state parks that weren't far from the base. Beautiful desert landscape views.
Even if you aren't staying at the hotels the concierge's will help you. I tipped them for good service when I wasn't actually staying at the hotel. These guys/gals can show you a side of southern Nevada you would totally miss otherwise.
Earl Heron
author "One Desert Jet Turner"
http://www.jjetspress.com/pub1.html