College Freshman 2014

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by riddler19 » 08 Feb 2014, 01:21

Hello I am new here on this subsection caught my attention while I was scrolling through the forums.
Next fall I will be starting at the University Of Utah as a Computer Science major and I have always wanted to be a pilot in the USAF, specifically a fighter pilot whether it be a F-16, F-15 or F-35 I just want to fly.
I want to know if I should join the ROTC at my university or join after graduation and possibly work in their cyber sector then go into flight school. I am not even sure if that is possible(I am unfamiliar with the system).

Physically I am in good shape and have 20/20 vision. 6,3 160lbs 18 years old and academically I am quite studious.
What would be a good route to start with? And how much luck is involved? Can I be the best and still not even get sent to flight school? If I can't be a pilot I'd like to work in their cyber department, but I am really only in it to fly.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by stilesf-35 » 10 Feb 2014, 08:54

Hey riddler19,

I'm kind of in the same boat you are with wanting to fly (by my username, hopefully 35's) and going to be a freshman next Fall and I've done extensive research on the topic that may help a bit. First of all, here's a good website to go to if you want to learn about flight school: http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/ . Based on what I've found, you must go through either AFROTC or the Air Force Academy, so if you have not applied to either, apply to ROTC or you can even apply to the USAFA after a year in college. I know that waiting a year can seem like somewhat of a setback but the Academy is the best place to go if your goal is to become a pilot. Those are the two ways I know to become a pilot, although according to this page, http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/roadtowings.html , there are more ways. I don't know about them so I can't really speak on them.

Regarding your third question, the way pilot selection has been described to me is that the Air Force gives out let's say 1000 pilot slots a year. 500 are given to the Air Force Academy for cadets to compete and the rest are given to ROTC cadets to compete for. For the 500 ROTC slots, cadets who would like to get a slot do as well as they can in several categories (AFOQT, physical fitness, etc.) and the top 500 get slots, so theoretically, if you were the best and medically qualified (from what it seems, you probably are), you are guaranteed a slot. Now, I may be wrong but that is what I know, so if anyone else knows more about that, please correct me.

I understand the drive to become a pilot because that is what has motivated me for so long, and hopefully it will pay off for the both of us. See ya in flight school.

-Stiles

by riddler19 » 16 Feb 2014, 01:48

Thanks for the great info!