Future of the Viper?

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...

by hurricanepilot » 17 Oct 2011, 06:56

I'm in primary now and I'm all about flying the 16, what is the future of the field looking like? I'm really not into the JSF and would like to stay as far away from it as I can. (yea, I know its supposed to be a 16 replacement)

cheers.

Banned

by geogen » 17 Oct 2011, 08:21

Congress will likely give any clue as to any potential 'change' on the issue before next summer, likely much sooner if they opt for a major 10-yr budget revision. DoD could possibly do a pre-emptive policy-shift disclosure by sometime next-summer too, if there were some additional durability testing issues to come into play, or heads up from Congress in the near-term (super committee e.g.) that mid-term Appropriations are set for radical restructuring. Then it would probably be scramble time for possible Plan B contingencies with objective of getting something operational into the force structure to replace expensive to maintain and near-obsolescent older F-16s, etc, imho.

New builds have plenty of growth potential, despite whatever naysayers say and plenty of credible, relevant service life decades to come (even if sold off later on via FMS, etc). Last time I checked there are A-4, F-5, F-4, Mig-21, Su-22 still performing and fulfilling credible deterrence and capability roles around the globe today. :?

You're in primary... and are into the USAF F-16 possibly, or which AF?? Just curious... Cheers-
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

by ygbsm » 17 Oct 2011, 10:21

hurricanepilot wrote:I'm in primary now and I'm all about flying the 16, what is the future of the field looking like? I'm really not into the JSF and would like to stay as far away from it as I can. (yea, I know its supposed to be a 16 replacement).

:roll:

YGBSM...let me get this straight...you are in primary (?), use the title hurricanepilot, and want to stay away from the JSF?

You have no chance of a successful flying career.

How does this generation going to survive?

by hurricanepilot » 17 Oct 2011, 14:40

Just gunna bang out the answers to the above...

USAF Primary...I am in Primary UPT...I do use the title hurricanepilot...and I do want to stay away from the JSF. There are plenty of computer geeks who touch themselves to all the fancy systems and computer screens and circuit breakers of all this new stuff. I consider myself a stick and rudder type of guy (again I'm expecting smart a$$ comments "the stick in the 16 doesn't move" and "it's the electric jet") and so on... I know, I've been lucky enough to ride, and get about an hour and a half stick time in one.

Thanks for projection on my flying career, but I'll be just fine.

I'll answer for the generation, even though I'm not a dork like em. They'll get by with a lot of technical knowledge and no grasp on the fighter pilot ways of old.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JoeSambor » 17 Oct 2011, 22:00

No need to be uncivil. This is a discussion forum where everybody is entitled to their opinion, as long as they express it in a civil manner.

My personal feeling is that you don't get to talk like a "been there, done that" guy unless you have been there and done that.

I see trouble ahead for you, and nobody will be more surprised than you when it comes down.

Best Regards,
Joe Sambor
LM Aero Field Service Engineer
Woensdrecht Logistics Center, The Netherlands

by hurricanepilot » 18 Oct 2011, 03:56

Again I will address there as they came:

I'm sure the JSF will be a fine jet. I have preferences like everyone else, I like older tried and true equipment. Have I had anything to do with the JSF? No, so I don't know about it. However I do know about the 16, and I don't want to get caught up in some politics driven aircraft that isn't proven.

Also did you really just call me a "loser"? grow up dude. I don't remember the last time I called someone a name, the whole belittling with the "get your stick and rudder on" etc is very middle school of you. Make a counter point to what someone says, don't attack. Dummy.

And JoeSambor, your passive aggressive bull isn't much better. I may have given the "been there done that" impression, actually a valid point. I didn't mean to come across that way, but reference above re: tried and true etc.

I posed a simple question about peoples thoughts on the future of the F-16...answer the question, give your opinion (of which I actually would take into account or I wouldn't ask) or carry on about your day.

Gist of the above. Grow up people.

Banned

by geogen » 18 Oct 2011, 07:55

Hp,

In fairness, I think what JS - one of the most credible and legit voices on F16.net and probably anywhere on the net in terms of Viper sustainment - was suggesting was that you might be coming across in perception as being more like a potential free-minded flight sim recruit, than a self-disciplined first, precision USAF tactical aviator?

I actually was coming back in here expecting to see a smart tact made in your follow-on reply, but to only dig deeper into an irrelevant, antagonistic internet tit-for-tat session and fall into the trap of wasted bandwidth and efforts, probably won't be part of the required chemistry for a top gun candidate, flying any AF jet in the future.

In that respect, I think that was a relevant and fair assessment being made in general, that attitude is probably the key element for any future prospect having a chance to actually crew F16, F15, or F35?

Anyway, you got my thoughts in my first response above. What is your view? Maybe you'd get more feedback and input if you put a little more purposeful and positive inter-active effort into it? Best luck-
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by pitfu » 18 Oct 2011, 13:23

Here's a piece of unsolicited advice: Don't tell any of your primary IPs that you 'want to stay as far away from' the JSF as you can. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to make your desire a reality.

If you've got the right stuff, as they say, then maybe they'll send you to 38s. And maybe your 38 IPs will send you to 16s. And maybe your B-course IPs will let you graduate.

It's no sin to express a preference for where you want to go in your career, or what plane you want to fly. But lose the attitude or your preferences will be a lot less important when your IPs make decisions about YOUR life. Besides, 1.5 in the back seat of a viper doesn't qualify you as an expert on very much...except puking, maybe.

by hurricanepilot » 18 Oct 2011, 15:33

Thanks for your responses guys (or gals, who knows).

Geo- re: JS, I don't know anybody on here as you can see by my lack of posts, so to pose a question and then be belittled instead of answering is obviously going to put someone on the offensive, he very well might be, but when someone finds one thing in a post that is irrelevant and turns it into a passive aggressive personal attack, I call BS. But your comment that attitude is a very key element is dead on, regardless of my personal reasons for wanting to fly a specific airframe, that is what I want, that is my goal, that is what I have been working for since i was tinier then I am now, and that is what I'll get.

And pitfu, you're very right, there are a lot of people, events, unforeseen stuff, between me and my goal. You are also very right, I would never say what was said in here to the people who control my fate, probably not to anyone around my class either, simply because I think that negativity for an aircraft in person isn't helpful to anyone. The guy next to me could have that as his dream, then he's gunna get all defensive, blah blah blah, people are sensitive, why put pressure on them? The IPs will, hopefully, give me what I deserve. I will do my best to make sure what I deserve is what I want. I'm not gunna tell the people who hold my fate in their hands that I don't want to fly something. I mean lets be honest, at the end of the day, I'm flying, not in some office on wall street, or in med school, or do anything else my peers are doing, I'm the luckiest guy alive. Sidebar: I definitely puked, not ashamed at all.

My view, going back to geogen, is that like the F22, there are going to be problems with 35 that no body knows about yet. Being on the cutting edge isn't as exciting as it was back in the days of the test pilot, now its all electrons flying around that a wrench isn't going to fix. The planes are so expensive that getting to fly needs a congressional order and I don't want to be tangled up in budget disputes over how many planes there are going to be etc. (before anyone else on here jumps down my throat I know this is a new military and the budget ruins everything and its not going to be JSF specific) That is why I was looking to see if anyone had any more opinions of timeframes that this thing is going to be in widespread service, when they are going to phasing out 16s etc etc.

Life is about goals dudes, you have to have one and go for it with the blinders on. (once again before anyone attacks me, right now this is definitely a team sport, my class vs. IPs, I'm going to do my best to get where I need to go, but I do not do that at the expense of others, I wouldn't trade my class for the world, we have each others' backs til the end)

by ygbsm » 18 Oct 2011, 21:36

:: Removed by moderator - Keep things civil please ::

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 18 Oct 2011, 23:57

I would focus on getting a 38 first. Near rocks, far rocks...

What's funny is that you'd rather fly the F-16, but all F-16 pilots want to fly the F-35. Should tell you something.

IAW ygbsm you sound like a quibbler...i would lose that sh*t right now or you are going to get crushed in pilot training and you won't be flying anything except an AWACS or 135 (sorry heavy breatheren, you really matter... actually you don't).

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by expedite » 19 Oct 2011, 00:28

People are really gett'n off on busting this guys' balls... None of you are as perceptive as you think.

by hurricanepilot » 19 Oct 2011, 00:47

Well this concludes my foray into the forums, you guys ignore the questions to pick out negatives and act like kids.

Grow up.

by Elliboom » 19 Oct 2011, 01:04

deadseal wrote:[...] or you are going to get crushed in pilot training and you won't be flying anything except an AWACS or 135 (sorry heavy breatheren, you really matter... actually you don't).

We don't matter huh, give me your callsign and next time you come up behind me out of gas, 200 miles from home over some sh*t hole sand box I will have a boom malfunction just as you are ready to hook up. Probably not since most likely the same dudes busting this guys balls for being a loser probably can't even pass the ASVAB with a good enough score to be a Sky Cop.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 19 Oct 2011, 01:52

@Elliboom, it's from Dos Gringos... sorry.

What the hell is the asvab?

Next