F-22S SCRAMBLED over Alaska!

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

jessmo111

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 708
  • Joined: 16 Jul 2015, 02:49

Unread post18 Apr 2017, 19:13

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/18/ru ... -jets.html

A pair of Russian nuclear-capable bombers flew near Alaska Monday night, two U.S. officials told Fox News, coming as close as 100 miles from Kodiak Island -- the first time since President Trump took office that Moscow has sent bombers so close to the U.S.

I wonder if the Russians are impressed so far with the Raptors performance?
Surely not having a radar signal, but then suddenly being faced with a Raptor has left an impression.
Offline
User avatar

pmi

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 67
  • Joined: 06 Oct 2011, 09:12

Unread post20 Apr 2017, 03:34

Surely not having a radar signal, but then suddenly being faced with a Raptor has left an impression.


Ever notice that every pic of a Raptor/Bear intercept shows drop tanks on the F-22?
Online

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3796
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post20 Apr 2017, 05:25

pmi wrote:
Surely not having a radar signal, but then suddenly being faced with a Raptor has left an impression.


Ever notice that every pic of a Raptor/Bear intercept shows drop tanks on the F-22?



Gives the F-22's more time on station and increases the aircrafts RCS....... :wink:
Offline
User avatar

rheonomic

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 421
  • Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 03:44
  • Location: US

Unread post20 Apr 2017, 13:44

pmi wrote:
Surely not having a radar signal, but then suddenly being faced with a Raptor has left an impression.


Ever notice that every pic of a Raptor/Bear intercept shows drop tanks on the F-22?


I've never looked too closely at the intercept pics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flew peacetime intercepts with the radar reflectors mounted as well.
u = (CB)⁻¹(cvdt_des - CAx)
Offline
User avatar

pmi

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 67
  • Joined: 06 Oct 2011, 09:12

Unread post20 Apr 2017, 15:51

rheonomic wrote:I've never looked too closely at the intercept pics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flew peacetime intercepts with the radar reflectors mounted as well.


I'm almost certain that they do, but as you said it's hard to tell from the pics so it was easier to use the drop tanks to make the point.

They aren't going to show the full capabilities of a platform when there is zero need for it, especially not when the Russian Bear being intercepted is more than likely stuffed full of ELINT gear.
Offline
User avatar

lamoey

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1009
  • Joined: 25 Apr 2004, 17:44
  • Location: 77006

Unread post20 Apr 2017, 23:30

pmi wrote:
rheonomic wrote:I've never looked too closely at the intercept pics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flew peacetime intercepts with the radar reflectors mounted as well.


I'm almost certain that they do, but as you said it's hard to tell from the pics so it was easier to use the drop tanks to make the point.

They aren't going to show the full capabilities of a platform when there is zero need for it, especially not when the Russian Bear being intercepted is more than likely stuffed full of ELINT gear.


So whit two drop tanks will an F-22 appear on a radar as if two F-104's were flying in tight formation, i.e. two narrow tanks with nothing between them?
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying
Offline
User avatar

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 29 Sep 2006, 03:07

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 07:49

My real question is how far out can we detect the Russian bombers approaching?

If it's anything less then when they go wheels up from their base or while they are still over a thousand + miles away, then we are screwed.
In a real attack mission they will launch their cruise (conventional or nucler) missiles from still within Russian airspace/territory and not bother to come so close.

These intercepts are all for show. I don't think we have the right posture or enough forces and the necessary detection ability to sense, scramble and kill the Russian bombers/threat before they get to their launch window/corridor and release their missiles.

And since we don't really have a robust SAM bubble in Alaska or anywhere else in the US for that matter, it would be too late/over if the Russian just manage to launch their ordinance before we can shoot down or destroy the lunching platform.

Alaska and thr Arctic is very vulnerable present day, as we are essentially relying on overall strategic deterrence for protection and not actual local/battle space overmatch or ability to survive/defeat a first strike. Our forces are only a fraction of where and what they used to be, while the threat has developed more potent and difficult to counter.

That's two wrong sides of the curve to be on.
And the Russian take seriously and practice this limited nucler attack theory or escalate to tactical nucler to de-escalate the strategic conventional. We can't just ignore the threat and presume it's all posturing. Peace through strength no protection from hope.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Offline

jessmo111

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 708
  • Joined: 16 Jul 2015, 02:49

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 08:13

PhillyGuy wrote:My real question is how far out can we detect the Russian bombers approaching?

If it's anything less then when they go wheels up from their base or while they are still over a thousand + miles away, then we are screwed.
In a real attack mission they will launch their cruise (conventional or nucler) missiles from still within Russian airspace/territory and not bother to come so close.

These intercepts are all for show. I don't think we have the right posture or enough forces and the necessary detection ability to sense, scramble and kill the Russian bombers/threat before they get to their launch window/corridor and release their missiles.

And since we don't really have a robust SAM bubble in Alaska or anywhere else in the US for that matter, it would be too late/over if the Russian just manage to launch their ordinance before we can shoot down or destroy the lunching platform.

Alaska and thr Arctic is very vulnerable present day, as we are essentially relying on overall strategic deterrence for protection and not actual local/battle space overmatch or ability to survive/defeat a first strike. Our forces are only a fraction of where and what they used to be, while the threat has developed more potent and difficult to counter.

That's two wrong sides of the curve to be on.
And the Russian take seriously and practice this limited nucler attack theory or escalate to tactical nucler to de-escalate the strategic conventional. We can't just ignore the threat and presume it's all posturing. Peace through strength no protection from hope.



If we have enough F-22s and F-15s in Alaska why not just shoot down the cruise missile? Both F-15, F-22, and F-35 will have excellent track, and missile capacity for cruise missile defense.
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2604
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 09:57

jessmo111 wrote:
PhillyGuy wrote:My real question is how far out can we detect the Russian bombers approaching? ...


...typical 2,500 mi flight at 500 mph or 5 hrs.
...or 1,700 from Sakalin Is. to Adak, Ak. or 3 hrs.

....so detecting and tracking is several hours.. :wink:
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1675
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 16:08

But... hundreds, (perhaps thousands?) of cruise missiles seems to be an easy way to overwhelm F-22, 15, 35 interceptors, no? If memory serves, they have stealth cruise missiles as well.

We have how many F-22's in AK? 20-30 maybe?? Doesn't seem to be enough AMRAAM's to go around, and that's assuming they all connect. In any case, these cat and mouse games are par for the course. The only difference I see is that the Russki's get to have a look at our new hardware, and they occasionally fly Flanker/Foxhound escorts. That's fun to watch, and speaks well to those platform's endurance.
Offline
User avatar

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 507
  • Joined: 05 Dec 2015, 18:09
  • Location: The Netherlands

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 17:22

mixelflick wrote:But... hundreds, (perhaps thousands?) of cruise missiles seems to be an easy way to overwhelm F-22, 15, 35 interceptors, no?

Here we go again. :roll:

If a swarm of cruise missiles are send towards the USA, then nukes will start to fly towards the aggressor. Also Launching such a strike without having the buildup for it getting noticed is near impossible.

People schould stop proposing these unrealistic cowboy scenarios.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"
Offline
User avatar

krorvik

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 518
  • Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 15:26

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 17:59

pmi wrote:Ever notice that every pic of a Raptor/Bear intercept shows drop tanks on the F-22?


Usually a good idea to be seen on QRA. Announce intent :)
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2604
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post21 Apr 2017, 19:20

mixelflick wrote:But... hundreds, (perhaps thousands?) of cruise missiles seems to be an easy way to overwhelm F-22, 15, 35 interceptors, no?....


No,......only 88 of the TU-95 (Looooonnnnngggg range) bombers were built and the availability is not quite 100%, so only in twos or fours, will join the 2,500 mile surveillance flight typically progressed. At the latest upgrade the TU-95MS16 can carry eight cruise missiles (13/ 88). And yes, with tankers, other types can join the fray but the build up is noticeable in the frigid north pacific by both the satellites and the E-3s, so no invading hordes!
:)

....oh, by the way, where would Russia manufacture the missiles that would be required (unnoticed) and how would they pay for them; not with oil money.
Offline
User avatar

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 29 Sep 2006, 03:07

Unread post22 Apr 2017, 02:43

4th night in a row now gents, now Canadian CF-18s are getting in on the mix. It's becoming irritating as they are abusing our hospitality in the air while their jackass pilots harass our Rivet Joint flights in the Baltic constantly.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2604
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post22 Apr 2017, 03:51

PhillyGuy wrote:4th night in a row now gents, now Canadian CF-18s are getting in on the mix. It's becoming irritating as they are abusing our hospitality in the air while their jackass pilots harass our Rivet Joint flights in the Baltic constantly.


...may be a good time to have the RJs trail a F-22/35 a time or two!, N'est-ce pas?

....also, follow them half way back to the international border line and provide them the view of the AB exhaust show!
:roll:
Next

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests