Raptor + Eagle or is it the F-35?

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1676
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post20 Jun 2016, 11:50

We've been reading quite a bit about how Raptors and Eagle's team up using the new Talon/Hate pod etc.. How special tactics are being developed to maximize the micro-Raptor fleet, etc.

However, the F-35 is starting to come online. Will the F-35 be pressed into a similar role with the F-22? I read an article in Combat aircraft recently where and F-35 test pilot was discussing the recent F-35 vs. F-16 dogfight fiasco. He really lamented the fact that now, due to the outcry from that situation they're going to have to practice air to air a lot more frequently. Said it took away from the F-35's primary mission of interdiction of a contested environment.

Sooooo... will it be the F-22 + F-15 hunter/killer team, or the F-22/F-35??
Offline
User avatar

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 6931
  • Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 08:55

Unread post20 Jun 2016, 13:25

[quote="mixelflick". He really lamented the fact that now, due to the outcry from that situation they're going to have to practice air to air a lot more frequently. Said it took away from the F-35's primary mission of interdiction of a contested environment.

Sooooo... will it be the F-22 + F-15 hunter/killer team, or the F-22/F-35??[/quote]

I find it hard to believe that the training curriculum will be driven by public outcry arising from a misunderstood flight test. Also, the Combat Cloud concept presupposes interoperability between 5Gen and legacy assets.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh
Offline

structuresguy

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 85
  • Joined: 19 Jan 2012, 15:54

Unread post20 Jun 2016, 15:30

mixelflick wrote:We've been reading quite a bit about how Raptors and Eagle's team up using the new Talon/Hate pod etc.. How special tactics are being developed to maximize the micro-Raptor fleet, etc.

However, the F-35 is starting to come online. Will the F-35 be pressed into a similar role with the F-22?


The F-22 was the first to demonstrate how you can force multiply on such a large scale. Raptor/Eagle teams have been highlighted lately but Raptor/Viper, Raptor/Hornet ect have always been part of the regiment. If you step back and think about your question you can answer it for yourself.
Offline
User avatar

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 507
  • Joined: 05 Dec 2015, 18:09
  • Location: The Netherlands

Unread post20 Jun 2016, 15:51

mixelflick wrote:F-35 test pilot was discussing the recent F-35 vs. F-16 dogfight fiasco.

What recent fiasco is this about? Is this something new or are we talking about the control law test of last year?
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"
Offline

str

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 141
  • Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 07:54

Unread post20 Jun 2016, 16:01

mixelflick wrote:We've been reading quite a bit about how Raptors and Eagle's team up using the new Talon/Hate pod etc..


Talon Hate was developed to give the F-15 a capability that's been built into the F-35 from the start. F-35 has been explicitly sold to congress and the public as the premier support asset for F-22, and vice versa. They've been deliberately designed to work together during missions.
Offline
User avatar

krorvik

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 15:26

Unread post20 Jun 2016, 16:02

mixelflick wrote: I read an article in Combat aircraft recently where and F-35 test pilot was discussing the recent F-35 vs. F-16 dogfight fiasco.


That lie is getting old. 'Cause thats precisely what it is. Stop spreading it, and critizise your sources more.
Offline

nutshell

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: 04 May 2016, 13:37

Unread post21 Jun 2016, 00:32

krorvik wrote:
mixelflick wrote: I read an article in Combat aircraft recently where and F-35 test pilot was discussing the recent F-35 vs. F-16 dogfight fiasco.


That lie is getting old. 'Cause thats precisely what it is. Stop spreading it, and critizise your sources more.


Few weeks ago we had that blog post (posted in this forum as well) made by the two norvegian pilots talking about how unfair was the advantage over the US F16 when they trained against them in Arizona (the only 2 available with the new helmets, btw).

But, i know. It's propaganda. Because you need to advertise a military product to the masses as is well known that public opinion dictates how military expenditures are made.

At the same time, if i make an ignorant call on how bad the LigthningII, on a TV or whatever, then i'd speak the truth 100%.

Same old, same old.

p.s.: Earth is flat, F35 sucks because it's so fat its own pilots are all chosen among dietitians and nutritionists as the aircraft might suffer from heart attacks and diabetes if left unchecked.
Offline

delvo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 689
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 04:06

Unread post21 Jun 2016, 02:41

Pretty simple really: as long as we still have F-15Cs, we'll use them. When we don't have them anymore, we won't use them anymore.

nutshell wrote:p.s.: Earth is flat, F35 sucks because it's so fat its own pilots are all chosen among dietitians and nutritionists as the aircraft might suffer from heart attacks and diabetes if left unchecked.
It might seem fat, but the alternative looked like an F-16 that had swallowed a bus.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4341
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post21 Jun 2016, 02:59

delvo wrote:but the alternative looked like an F-16 that had swallowed a bus.


And had the mouth to pull it off. :lmao:
"There I was. . ."
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1676
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post21 Jun 2016, 11:59

krorvik wrote:
mixelflick wrote: I read an article in Combat aircraft recently where and F-35 test pilot was discussing the recent F-35 vs. F-16 dogfight fiasco.


That lie is getting old. 'Cause thats precisely what it is. Stop spreading it, and critizise your sources more.


OK, I understand your point. I won't mention it anymore. I've never read CA before, just grabbed it to read on a plane one day. Thought AWST was the only rag down on the F-35. This article was actually quite balanced, I thought. So I won't read it anymore. Besides, F-16.net is cheaper :)
Offline
User avatar

krorvik

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 519
  • Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 15:26

Unread post21 Jun 2016, 12:46

Oh, do read sources. And put them all under the same scrutiny - including what's written here :)
Offline
User avatar

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 6931
  • Joined: 24 Sep 2008, 08:55

Unread post18 Apr 2017, 01:41

"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3144
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Phoenix, Az

Unread post18 Apr 2017, 02:35

krorvik wrote:Oh, do read sources. And put them all under the same scrutiny - including what's written here :)

This. A thousand times this. Read beyond the headline. Read beyond the first paragraph. Read beyond the whole text. Read into what is and, more importantly, what isn't said. This is true in positive or negative articles.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
Offline

armedupdate

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 451
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 21:11

Unread post18 Apr 2017, 04:14

The Raptor was meant to replace the Eagle for the Air Superiority role. However, only 187 F-22s were made, the F-15 will be need to be kept in that role.

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests