F-16 strafed by other F-16 on the ground with gun

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Patriot » 13 Oct 2018, 11:12

438790981_qeqqhph.jpg

I couldnt believe my eyes and ears when I first heard of this yesterday at the same time having hard time to stop laughing really hard. I mean.. WTF :doh:

How come that an armed aircraft is even allowed to sit in a maintenance hangar like this? How it's possible that WOW sensor or gun safety pin didnt disengaged the cannon from being fired even if the master arm switch is on? :bang:

I guess the aftermath of this wouldnt be so bad if the rounds wouldnt hit the right fully loaded EFT that exploded right away. Glad everybody alive anyway, except the FA-128 :roll:

One shot, two kills, no luck, just skills! :mrgreen:

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Boman » 13 Oct 2018, 12:28

Agree, amazing story - luckily noone was killed. But must be a bad blow to the BAC who now have one less jet
Best regards
Niels

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Patriot » 13 Oct 2018, 21:54

Shame. It defo looks like the end of that airframe'.. :|

F-16-Flor_qeqqnan.jpg
F-16-Flor_qeqqnan.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 22294 times

F-16-Flor_qeqqnae.png
F-16-Flor_qeqqnae.png (167.14 KiB) Viewed 22294 times

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 14 Oct 2018, 09:25

How could opened fire and destroyed another F-16 jet fighter on the tarmac?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Patriot » 14 Oct 2018, 10:04

saberrider wrote:How could opened fire and destroyed another F-16 jet fighter on the tarmac?

By pushing a red button with his right index finger for a second... ;) Thats how he could.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 14 Oct 2018, 10:13

Bridge the safety mechanism to be able to fire. LOOK like it was done by intention.

by tbarlow » 15 Oct 2018, 05:37

Dear Sir: No one was more surprised then I... :doh:

by knowan » 15 Oct 2018, 09:36

F-16 scores it's first ground to ground kill!

by boilermaker » 18 Oct 2018, 03:14

Patriot wrote:
438790981_qeqqhph.jpg

I couldnt believe my eyes and ears when I first heard of this yesterday at the same time having hard time to stop laughing really hard. I mean.. WTF :doh:

How come that an armed aircraft is even allowed to sit in a maintenance hangar like this? How it's possible that WOW sensor or gun safety pin didnt disengaged the cannon from being fired even if the master arm switch is on? :bang:

I guess the aftermath of this wouldnt be so bad if the rounds wouldnt hit the right fully loaded EFT that exploded right away. Glad everybody alive anyway, except the FA-128 :roll:

One shot, two kills, no luck, just skills! :mrgreen:

What happened to do not put pecker on trigger if it is pointed at something?

In Iraq we had a Kiowa launch a rocket inside its barrier enclosure. Did not blow up but left a nice hole in the concrete TWall. I think the pilot had WAS'd the system while they were loading and the thing went off after ground crew removed the safety pins for the mission. After that they ordered ground crew to not load anything unless every thing was off which created frictions because pilots did not have time when troops in contact to fck around shutting down and restarting the craft.

by sciafer » 23 Oct 2018, 09:36

Patriot,

Your questions are valid and an incident like this should have never occurred. However, this incident has brought to light several questions one of them being voiced is what you asked:
"How come that an armed aircraft is even allowed to sit in a maintenance hangar like this?"

From my experience working around the F-16 in the USAF and then working for and around several foreign military units with F-16, many foreign military users of the F-16 have their way of doing business then what the USAF follows (not to say its all bad but somethings should be followed) they "lack" doing a lot of things that should be followed per the Job Guide several reasons are voiced but the most common I hear is because "they didn't do this on their other air-frames OR the USAF goes to far with their safety regulations"...well I'm sure other units are hopefully reviewing their procedures and process for safe of maintenance and adhering to those procedures.

I guess that first page for each task titled INPUT conditions, followed by REQUIRED conditions will be closely followed.

Just my :2c: