What are the chances?

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by nathandove » 16 Dec 2011, 03:04

Alright, so I'm a junior in highschool, I have decent grades and a strong drive to do well. My dilema is this, so I want to become a fighter pilot in the USAF although the route I want to take to get their I am not to sure about. I was thinking about the academy and from what I heard thier is a pretty high chance to get a pilot slot when you are accepted and then the other option is ROTC. I would definately try my best in either one but I was wondering how much harder it is to get a pilot slot in ROTC then the USAFA. I dont know if I have the grades or leadership it takes to get into the USAFA and I would rather attend a different college (CU Boulder preferably) because I don't know if I would entirely like the USAFA lifestyle. Basically I'm asking you guys how much harder it is to become a pilot in ROTC when compared to the USAFA.

Thank you guys so much!!!

by sulfer732 » 17 Dec 2011, 17:05

nathandove wrote:I don't know if I would entirely like the USAFA lifestyle.
Thank you guys so much!!!

?? Then why join the Air Force?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by That_Engine_Guy » 17 Dec 2011, 20:48

sulfer732 wrote:

I would have to strongly agree with Sulfer.

If you aren't wanting the regimented lifestyle, strict policy, customs / courtesies, and military discipline; the USAF may not be your forte at all.

You either WANT it or you don't.

If you 'don't know (if you) would entirely like the USAFA lifestyle" then the military lifestyle as a whole would likely disagree with you as well.

If you're not willing to do what it takes to become a fighter pilot, (IE a bit of personal sacrifice and goal orientated dedication) then you will not likely become military fighter pilot.

Just being a realist :shrug: TEG

BTW, this applies to us 'non-pilot' types too; without giving up some of our lives as 'normal citizens' we can't do what we do in the military either.
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 18 Dec 2011, 02:46

That_Engine_Guy wrote:
sulfer732 wrote:

I would have to strongly agree with Sulfer.

If you aren't wanting the regimented lifestyle, strict policy, customs / courtesies, and military discipline; the USAF may not be your forte at all.

You either WANT it or you don't.

If you 'don't know (if you) would entirely like the USAFA lifestyle" then the military lifestyle as a whole would likely disagree with you as well.

If you're not willing to do what it takes to become a fighter pilot, (IE a bit of personal sacrifice and goal orientated dedication) then you will not likely become military fighter pilot.

Just being a realist :shrug: TEG

BTW, this applies to us 'non-pilot' types too; without giving up some of our lives as 'normal citizens' we can't do what we do in the military either.

Dudes, i respectfully disagree. USAFA and being a fighter pilot are two very different things. I know tons of clowns who come out of the academy with some of the worst leadership skills amongst their peers. Being a fighter pilot is about being unique and aggressive. not about standing at attention and treating other cadets like sh*t just because they are in a grade below you.
However TEG is right in that the road is long and tough. You'll get crapped on all the time and recieve serious set backs. As he said, you have to be willing to do anything and put up with anthing in order to get it, or you will quit.

by nathandove » 20 Dec 2011, 00:14

my whole deal is i wouldn't want to be under that strict lifestyle at that young of an age. my dad went to the naval academy and i have heard that it is one of those things that you are glad you did but you wouldn't do it again and i am sure the USAFA is the same. and i know rotc will be strict but it isn't 24/7 you know. and i am very dedicated and i can take being yelled at very well. all i am looking for is an answer