Attempting to pass a flight board.

So you want to be an F-35, mechanic, loader, avionics technician...? Here you will learn that you will need education, hard work and steadfast dedication. (Note: This used to be the F-16 crew forum)

by evilbookworm » 16 Nov 2011, 17:01

I'm 24, married, no kids. One class away from a 4-year degree, class ends in may, next flight board is in feb, and student loans are pulling me down. My GPA isnt very good (2.4), but I do have my pilot's license, and can get instrument with a bit more time/money.

Trying to join the air guard in my home state (WV) to get my flight training.

A couple questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you guys think I have a shot? My ASVAB (expired, but I can do as well) was 97, and I'm an Eagle Scout.
2. What's a good study guide for the AFOQT, and is there anything I can really do for the flight standards test? I've been online, but most of the military aptitude test study guides seem like they'll be a little light on the pilot portions of the AFOQT.

Thank you all.

by chris1091 » 17 Nov 2011, 03:13

ASVAB won't matter past qualifying for enlisted jobs.

Since you have a PPL you should be fine with the Pilot AFOQT section. If you're really that worried about it, grab the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (available free online) and go through it.
Last edited by chris1091 on 17 Nov 2011, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

by evilbookworm » 17 Nov 2011, 06:05

I'm past Charleston, but thank you for the offer. Pity about the ASVAB. You think my grades will sink me?