F-16C Block 52/60 vs F-14B/D Bombcat/Super Tomcat

Agreed, it will never be a fair fight but how would the F-16 match up against the ... ?
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by aaam » 17 Feb 2011, 00:06

discofishing wrote:F-14B vs F-16C/E:

I know the AWG-9 is an antique now, but isn't it still better for BVR than anything (APG-66VX or APG-68VX) that's ever been in the nose of an F-16C

Forgot to mention that F-14B was just an interim step on the way to the F-14D. F-14D did not use AWG-9. It had the APG-71. This was based on an enhanced version of the APG-70 coupled with the high power transmitter and big antenna retained from the AWG-9 because the navy wanted the max detect and track range they could get along with the ability to burn through jam.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 17 Feb 2011, 00:33

Forgot to mention that F-14B was just an interim step on the way to the F-14D. F-14D did not use AWG-9. It had the APG-71. This was based on an enhanced version of the APG-70 coupled with the high power transmitter and big antenna retained from the AWG-9 because the navy wanted the max detect and track range they could get along with the ability to burn through jam.

I agree with your facts, I've ready that several times from several sources. Radars are very interesting stuff. My question was how the AWG-9 compares to modern fighter aircraft FCRs. I'm sure the APG-71 still compares favorably to against modern systems, but had the F-14D kept the AWG-9 in its basic form, would it be superior to late model APG-68 systems in various air modes?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by aaam » 17 Feb 2011, 03:09

discofishing wrote:

I agree with your facts, I've ready that several times from several sources. Radars are very interesting stuff. My question was how the AWG-9 compares to modern fighter aircraft FCRs. I'm sure the APG-71 still compares favorably to against modern systems, but had the F-14D kept the AWG-9 in its basic form, would it be superior to late model APG-68 systems in various air modes?

One of the main reasons for the F-14D (along with better performance, versatility and decreased maintenance) to exist at all was to replace the AWG-9. Remember, the AWG-9's lineage traces directly back to the F-108. If there had been no APG-71 there would be no F-14D. The old AWG-9 would outrange the APG-68, might be better multi-sensor and could contorl more missiles, but an APG-68(V)9 or 10 would be better in almost everything else.

Previous