Join the USAF as a non-US citizen?

Forum for job postings and employment advice.

by Swank » 23 Dec 2005, 21:43

Recently I applied for the RNLAF (Royal Netherlands Air Force), but got turned down after completing all the selections, so my chance of becoming a RNLAF pilot has gone.:cry:
I still would like to become a fighter pilot, though...:D
So I'm trying to find out if I can join another air force outside of the Netherlands.

Since someone said there would be a lot of USAF personnel on this site, I thought maybe they can give me any advice on the matter.

So does anyone know how I can join the USAF as a non-us citizen or has experience in joining as a non-US?
And does anyone know what the requirements are, how I can apply and where I can get more info?
I already contacted an overseas advisor of the USAF, but I don't expect an answer anytime soon. :wink:
So I try to find out as much as I can in the meantime... :)
I you have any info, you think might help, let me know :thumb:

A little info on myself: I'm 21 years old, have a Bachelor degree in ICT and am going to start studying at the KLM Flightacademy as of coming februari.

PS
Comments on my English are also welcome :wink:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by TenguNoHi » 23 Dec 2005, 22:46

Swank, unfortunatly to be a pilot in the USAF you must be a commisioned officer, and to be an officer, you must be a US Citizen. The age limit for pilots in the USAF is 30, which meens you have about 9 years to earn a citizen ship, and its possible to do it in 5. You have to have 5 years of residency in the US to be a citizen though. After you earn your citizenship you can apply for a slot through OTS or the Gaurd but both methods are extremely competitive, however not impossible. It's a big gamble for you though, coming all the way to the US to chase a dream that if you get turned down on, well, your out of luck then. I wont tell you not to but you should think hard through it.

Your other option is to enlist in the USAF and if you get deployed they will give you your citizenship upon deployment. However, you will still have to finish out your enlistment contract. If you enlist in a gaurd unit though you will build close relations to gaurd pilots that may help you to apply to be one. There are still options out there but you would need to be prepared to work your rear off for this oppurtunity. Also, why did you get rejected from the RNLAF? Its likely you would get rejected from the USAF for the same reasons...

-Aaron

by Swank » 24 Dec 2005, 13:00

They rejected me because I needed a more time to get the 'feeling' of the plane than the time they admitted during the EMVO (Elementary Flight Course -> it's a course the RNLAF admittees get after completing basic military training but before they go to the US)

They said it would help if I had some more experience, though they could not allow me anymore even if I had gotten better, because of the rules.
Which say I can't become a RNLAF pilot because I had a negative advice from the PVS (Practical Flight Test).

Since I'm going to get my ATPL license at the KLM Flightacademy, I think they 'feeling' part will be alright by the time I finish and am able to apply for the USAF.

by lowel76 » 07 May 2006, 11:58

Hi, currently I am working in my country (Singapore) as a mechanic for engines. I'm wondering if the USAF take me in as to work in?

Is there any restriciton?

Thank you

by Arctus » 17 May 2006, 13:52

lowel76
assuming you do not have a criminal record you can enlist in the US military. I have served with Englishmen, Irishmen, a Greek and a Taiwanese. It is possible but I assume you would have to travel to find a recruiter.
You can get a good start at the AF's website.

Are you at Paya Labar? I've been to to a couple of Commando Sling's
354 FW Eielson 02-05
389 FS Mtn Home 99-02
54 & 90 FS Elmendorf 91-99
479 TTW Holloman 84-91

by siouxcrew » 08 Dec 2012, 21:15

Swank wrote:They rejected me because I needed a more time to get the 'feeling' of the plane than the time they admitted during the EMVO (Elementary Flight Course -> it's a course the RNLAF admittees get after completing basic military training but before they go to the US)

They said it would help if I had some more experience, though they could not allow me anymore even if I had gotten better, because of the rules.
Which say I can't become a RNLAF pilot because I had a negative advice from the PVS (Practical Flight Test).

Since I'm going to get my ATPL license at the KLM Flightacademy, I think they 'feeling' part will be alright by the time I finish and am able to apply for the USAF.

Hey Swank,

How is the progress going so far? I have kinda similar problem here and the option suggested by Aaron seems extremely difficult but still giving at least some hope for the childhood dream to become true.

I have a chance to apply to the USAFA as an international cadet, but upon graduation I will most likely become a "dodo" at my home Air Force for 20+ years, coz they want vision to be 20/20 in each eye without correction, which is not what I have (left 20/20, right 20/40), besides, the current state of things here in the AF is quite poor.

I am thinking about Aaron's option, but I'd like to know if it worked out well at least for someone. Good luck on your way! Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Kam