Lockheed Strike

Forum for job postings and employment advice.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by johnwill » 20 Jun 2012, 00:11

The Startle-gram article did not indicate LM asked for the mediation. Rather, both sides were invited, and both gladly accepted.

by jerryo » 21 Jun 2012, 15:08

Not hearing much, and probably won't until after the mediator meetings. I'm not overly optimistic that LM is looking to get the workers back quickly.

by airwerks » 24 Jun 2012, 13:12

A tentative agreement was reached late last night. It will be presented to the union membership and voted on within the next week or so. Will be intersting to see what changed. The two issues that preditacted the strike were non-negotiable according the company in every statement prior to the involvement of the mediator service.

by jerryo » 29 Jun 2012, 14:16

So the IAM ratified the contract yesterday afternoon. Biggest company concession was adding a health plan. I think the company conceded to much up front money to the employees ($2k sign on, $1600 COLA, either a 3% raise or $1800, plus they are allowed to take 2 weeks of paid leave if they had it saved up before strike). But, it all worlks out and they report to work Monday, 2 July or Monday 9 July. I can now go back to my regular job versus splitting time between here and the flight line covering them in their absence.

by mistad » 30 Jun 2012, 12:02

Also a lot of slots are being created on the assembly line, I got an offer yesterday

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ecsduct » 06 Jul 2012, 11:52

Now that we're all going back this week and next, I wonder what the workplace atmosphere will be like? There is a company 'reset' memo on the IAM website that seems to read "We won, you lost, **** you."

Notice the tone of the manager in this thread. Whatever your position on unions, those are * EXACTLY * the type of negative comments issued from 99% of all Lockheed supervisors. I've met three (one in Greenville, two in the UAE) I respected and would sacrifice for. The rest, every single one of them, only seem to care about their desk, clipboard, polo shirt, and seat at the morning meeting. Their behavior during the strike is clearly evident, including hiring temporary workers in Fort Worth that couldn't even pass a drug screen! (direct quote from recruiting manager) Not to mention HR actions against new hires who were locked out durng this dispute.

Selling a gazillion toys a year seems to be enough to pay the bills. I work hard for MY work ethic, coworkers, and the safety of the aircraft, not company profits. I suppose asking for a pension after 30 years of that is unreasonable?

(unrolling my com-cord and getting ready for the first go) :bang:

by jerryo » 12 Jul 2012, 21:06

Have not heard much from anyone that works with the union. Only rumors heard around here. I hope all is well and work proceeds. Time will tell. I hope they can get past the contentious strike and produce more jets.

by airwerks » 13 Jul 2012, 16:34

The silly rules and lessons not learned are blowing up in management's faces. Employees are laughing at all the silliness and shaking their head over the pettiness. The employee service center is now telling people that it will be multiple weeks before they can get their retirement packages due to the volume requested. Retirement numbers are rapidly approaching 25% of the total unionized employess. I know multiple people that are starting their countdown calanders towards early retirement. I'm under 1150 days to go.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by johnwill » 13 Jul 2012, 22:12

Ah, the LM plan is working! Get rid of all the high wage graybeards and replace them with young energetic workers with the lower benefits of the new contract. Taking early retirement in a difficult labor market sounds risky. I doubt anyone can find work that is as easy and pays as well as LM. Good luck!

Banned

by pbeadspandora » 15 Jul 2012, 20:59

??? ????2012???????????????9044 ??_????

by jerryo » 16 Jul 2012, 15:19

Embrace change and try to work with Mgt. Maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing. If not, time will tell, and you can tell the world you are the smartest person ever hired by LM and are the only person qualified to be the CEO. Instead, 10%+ of the represented work force prefer to waste time & effort giggling and laughing and fighting against change, thus proving the point that the union worker is not there to work, but to do anything but work. Maybe they should try to be team players and just do the job they are asked to do versus whining about it? Just an ex-supervisors view. I am EX because I tired of the daily battle against represented workers refusing to follow simple rules (like show up on time, don't smoke on plant, no internet surfing during work hrs, no personal phone use, etc...). Good luck to all.

by airwerks » 16 Jul 2012, 19:00

Jerry: Change is fine when it is for the better and improves the product and working conditions. We now have several rules that were implimented in the past, a couple of different times that created more problems than they fixed. Every time these were implimented, within 90 days or less, they were recinded when management finally woke up. We have 4 year wonders that have little or no real world experience telling people that have more time working in the industry than they've been alive, how to do the work because that's the theoretical process they were taught in school. How about listening to us once in a while rather than ignoring us or trashing us at every turn. Instead of targeting fixes that will really work where they need to be done, their solution is to force their idea on everyone with no understanding that what they want may not work in every area of the plant. The Law of Unintended Consequences is rearing it's head daily.

Efficiency comes from having paperwork and documentation correct and parts and tools available quickly. Having to order parts and wait for them to come from warehousing takes time. Same thing when we have to order tools and support equipment. If I don't have the parts or tools when I need them, I can't do the job. Same thing with paperwork and documentation.

Manufacturing process sometimes take considerable more time than management wants, but can't get past. If process engineering sets minimum times for certain things, we can't speed it up. Stop getting mad and throwing a fit when you can't do something because we are in the second hour of a multi hour process that has to be complete before we move on. If you don't like it, then get engineering to change the process or authorize and DOCUMENT the change and aproval. It can be done, but I'm not going to make the change just because you said to. If the job takes certain tools and equipment and it's not available for whatever reason, it's not the crew's fault, so stop blaming us. When your other shifts know there are things needed for the next shift to get the work done, and they can't be bothered to order the parts/tools/equipment/documents or paperwork, don't blame shop, blame your fellow management.

We know management makes the rules, so stop blaming us for the problems that show up or the timelines that get blown when we follow the rules. If you don't like or can't live with the results of your rules, then change them and document and desiminate the changes to the workforce. If we don't follow the rules we are subject to being fired. When most management doesn't, it's usually a different result.

I've been out there a lot of years and been both hourly and management. I've seen the good and the absurd from both sides as well as the bad. From the time that Lockheed took over the facility, it has become an ever declining relationship between upper and mid management and the hourly workforce. There is more that could be said, but not for public consumption.

Previous