New F-35A demo pilot, Capt. Kristin “Beo” Wolfe

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 02 Mar 2020, 08:08

https://twitter.com/thef35/status/12338 ... 95586?s=20

So it seems like she flew the F-22 before transition to F-35A. Look forward to see what she brings to the demo.

kristen-beo-wolfe-1800.jpg
Capt. Kristin "BEO" Wolfe, F-35A Lightning II Demonstration Team pilot, poses for a photo after a practice flight at Hill AFB, Utah, Feb. 02, 2020. (U.S. Air Force/Capt. Kip Sumner).
kristen-beo-wolfe-1800.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 120298 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 03 Mar 2020, 13:13

PC nonsense, nothing more

by pmi » 03 Mar 2020, 15:09

mixelflick wrote:PC nonsense, nothing more

...said the civilian.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by disconnectedradical » 03 Mar 2020, 17:28

mixelflick wrote:PC nonsense, nothing more

So quick to dismiss any accomplishment by a woman as "PC nonsense"...

What is not "PC" then? Women being necessarily secondary after men?

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 03 Mar 2020, 18:02

PC nonsense or not

GOOD FOR HER FOR GETTING SELECTED!

What is PC nonsense is women in dedicated combat arms roles like infantry and special forces/operations. That is IMHO an entirely different debate.

by Fox1 » 04 Mar 2020, 03:09

At least she has a cool call sign. So she can't be all that bad.

BTW, I love call signs. It is always comical to see the origins of them. The call signs that are plays on the pilot's name are pretty obvious. But those that are based on some (usually memorable) event or something about the pilot's looks or mannerisms are often the best. I recall there was a female Marine A-4 pilot back in the mid 1980s who was bestowed with the call sign "Jugs" because she was rather (cough) well endowed. Such a thing today would probably never be tolerated. But I honestly miss the way things were in the old days before political correctness ruined everything. Even the pilots branded with sexist or less than flattering monikers eventually learned to accept them and at some point even became proud of them, wearing them as a badge of honor. But today we are so uptight and PC about everything, we've basically forgot how to have fun.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Mar 2020, 05:10

This story has been told before. Our RAN FAA allowed pilots to select their own call sign. However no one could stop aircrew from naming fellow aircrew with a nickname that stuck like glue - no matter what. Mine eventually became LUIG. As in "Geez Luig what have you done now" - often spoken for reals. Everyone knew who was the LUIG!
"“Geez” is a shortened and, to some, less blasphemous version of using the word “Jesus” as an exclamatory statement. Louise was likely chosen to accompany it because it rhymes with “Geez”. It is usually used to express exasperation; such as “Geez Louise that test was hard”

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 05 Mar 2020, 06:36

@Fox1

Too true. PC culture has ruined everything it touches. What I dont like is how politicians push their PC male bovine excrement onto the military... as one surly vet explains it in his independent movie poking fun about being deployed...

To quote the character Col. Kurtz played by the late Marlon Brando in the movie Apocalypse Now...
We train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders wont allow them to write "f**k" on their airplanes because, its obscene

Enough with my ranting...

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 05 Mar 2020, 07:19

Behind the helmet of the F-35A Demonstration Team’s newest pilot
04 Mar 2020 Capt. Kip Sumner, F-35A Lightning II Demonstration Team Public Affairs

"...After commissioning, Wolfe attended undergraduate pilot training at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, where she learned the meaning of being an Air Force aviator.

“It hit me when I did my first solo flight,” she said. “I remember being terrified that anyone would let me fly an airplane alone after only 11 or 12 rides. It seemed like an insane concept to me. But I realized that’s how the aviation world and the Air Force trains you; to ingrain those habit patterns so that those skills take over. I remember landing and thinking, ‘That was really cool.’”

After graduating UPT, Wolfe was selected to fly fighters, eventually graduating to the F-22 as her first operational aircraft.

“My decisions were never about specific interests or aircraft,” she said. “I would always ask myself ‘what’s the coolest thing I can do?’ or ‘what’s the most challenging thing I can do?’ The fighter community appealed to me the most. Looking at it now, I don’t think I’ll ever find another community that I’ll like as much as working in a fighter squadron.”

After flying the F-22 for three years at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, Wolfe transitioned to the F-35A Lightning II and then the 388th Fighter Wing, the Air Force’s first combat F-35 unit, in 2017....

...When asked about the challenges of being a female fighter pilot, she considers the question for several moments before answering.

“The jet doesn’t discriminate. The jet doesn’t know who is flying it, and it will always behave the exact same way,” Wolfe emphasized. “The fighter community is an extremely performance-focused field that’s based purely on merits and tactics. I don’t consider myself a female pilot, but a pilot that happens to be a female. I’m here to do a job, and that is to make this team the best out there, inspire people to be better, and to fly the F-35 as hard as I can.”..."

Photo: "Capt. Kristin "Beo" Wolfe stands with her father, retired Col. Jon Wolfe. Wolfe grew up in a military family and had lived in three countries and five states prior to attending college. (U.S. Air Force courtesy photo)" https://media.defense.gov/2020/Mar/03/2 ... X-1001.JPG
&
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org ... 30aaa0.png

Source: https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... est-pilot/
Attachments
940101-F-XXXXX-1001.JPG
beo_wolfe_2_9b7e842cc7722eb8ec1d0f55c955f1287730aaa0.jpg

by rowbeartoe » 16 Jun 2023, 01:52

See the F-35 Demo team with Maj. Kristin "Beo" Wolfe vs the F-22 Demo Team. Great video, at the end you can see the pilots.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 16 Jun 2023, 03:00

charlielima223 wrote:@Fox1

Too true. PC culture has ruined everything it touches. What I dont like is how politicians push their PC male bovine excrement onto the military... as one surly vet explains it in his independent movie poking fun about being deployed...

To quote the character Col. Kurtz played by the late Marlon Brando in the movie Apocalypse Now...
We train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders wont allow them to write "f**k" on their airplanes because, its obscene

Enough with my ranting...

Charlie... its one girl.
That's alot of political ranting over 1 girl. Calm down its OK. Do get out much? Are girls comfortable talking to you? It's OK.

https://youtu.be/_pHOvyq4RTY

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 17 Jun 2023, 17:22

jessmo112 wrote:Charlie... its one girl.
That's alot of political ranting over 1 girl. Calm down its OK. Do get out much? Are girls comfortable talking to you? It's OK.

Wow... nearly a whole year late! GOOD HUSTLE!

Where in my comment did I say anything against the demo pilot or her choice in profession? Rather I was agreeing with Fox1's comment about political correctness and soft standards that has now infected the military at large. I made a whole thread in the off topic part of the forum called breakdown of the military decrying this, but hey its just my personal opinion.

I didnt know Capt Wolfe had simps. Im sure she would care what peons on some forum board say about her and if she does she has you as her white knight.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by afjag » 18 Jun 2023, 19:38

charlielima223 wrote:
jessmo112 wrote:Charlie... its one girl.

Wow... nearly a whole year late! GOOD HUSTLE!

Where in my comment did I say anything against the demo pilot or her choice in profession? Rather I was agreeing with Fox1's comment about political correctness and soft standards that has now infected the military at large. I made a whole thread in the off topic part of the forum called breakdown of the military decrying this, but hey its just my personal opinion.

I didnt know Capt Wolfe had simps. Im sure she would care what peons on some forum board say about her and if she does she has you as her white knight.

While the military should not be intentionally utilized as a social experiment, the reality is that since the military is supposed to reflect society such will happen and the argument that political correctness is making the military soft is not supportable by any legitimate empirical evidence. By historical analog, this is the same crap that was argued after Executive Order 9981 was issued in 1948 and the military has done pretty well since. People are not joining the military because of a culture shift toward political correctness (whatever the hell that actually means); its because jobs are relatively plentiful and a good portion of the people eligible for military service are disqualified from serving because they are fat, lazy or have a criminal record.