S-400 and F-35

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 20 Dec 2019, 16:15

ricnunes wrote:...
From what I get, TVM (BTW, sorry sprstdlyscottsmn for not replying straight away, only now I was able to visit the forum) ...

Hey, no worries. wrightwing was able to sort me out. The forum is a group effort to elevate the knowledge and understanding of all its members.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 20 Dec 2019, 16:47

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
ricnunes wrote:...
From what I get, TVM (BTW, sorry sprstdlyscottsmn for not replying straight away, only now I was able to visit the forum) ...

Hey, no worries. wrightwing was able to sort me out. The forum is a group effort to elevate the knowledge and understanding of all its members.

Yes, indeed.
I never tired myself of saying this, but this forum (F-16.net) is in my humble opinion that best place by far over the entire web for anyone (who doesn't have a "top secret" clearance) who wants to learn as much as possible about military aviation.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 20 Dec 2019, 16:53

Secret project forum is very good too

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 20 Dec 2019, 17:47

Actually, I didn't know about that site.
Unfortunately and currently I don't have much of a free time left to visit 2 or more forums on a regular basis but someday I'll pay a visit to that forum. Thanks for the heads up.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by eloise » 22 Dec 2019, 19:03

ricnunes wrote:Actually, I didn't know about that site.
Unfortunately and currently I don't have much of a free time left to visit 2 or more forums on a regular basis but someday I'll pay a visit to that forum. Thanks for the heads up.

Another head up, wewuzkangz is active there as Panzerfeist1. So you get to read very entertainning topic such as: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thread ... ies.32791/
:mrgreen: read his comments about area and decimal :devil:
I thought he was trolling at first, so I was very irritated. But after a while it is clear that he genuinely believe in his words :doh:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 23 Dec 2019, 00:42

eloise wrote:Another head up, wewuzkangz is active there as Panzerfeist1. So you get to read very entertainning topic such as: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thread ... ies.32791/
I thought he was trolling at first, so I was very irritated. But after a while it is clear that he genuinely believe in his words :doh:

That's perhaps one of biggest issues that I have with other forums/sites.
Currently I don't have much of a time or patience to deal/debate with such let's say, "peculiarly challenged individuals"...

Hence why I enjoy this forum a lot since many/most of such "peculiarly challenged individuais" are usually shown the "exit door" quite quickly which helps reducing the "clutter" around these subjects which works perfectly for me at this stage of my life.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by notkent » 23 Dec 2019, 13:38

TVM gives the SAM system an additional receiver that is offset from the main array.
This allows for correlation and triangulation allowing for better resolution than with the main array only especially if the target if it is attempting to jam the radar.

by knowan » 27 Dec 2019, 06:37

eloise wrote:
ricnunes wrote:Actually, I didn't know about that site.

Another head up, wewuzkangz is active there as Panzerfeist1. So you get to read very entertainning topic such as: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/thread ... ies.32791/

He's had more accounts banned off these forums, and it looks like his Quora account got nuked too. Can't fix stupid.

ricnunes wrote:That's perhaps one of biggest issues that I have with other forums/sites.
Currently I don't have much of a time or patience to deal/debate with such let's say, "peculiarly challenged individuals"...

Hence why I enjoy this forum a lot since many/most of such "peculiarly challenged individuais" are usually shown the "exit door" quite quickly which helps reducing the "clutter" around these subjects which works perfectly for me at this stage of my life.

Same reason I prefer these forums. It has a distinct lack of tolerance for moronic nationalistic fanboys.

by lbk000 » 27 Dec 2019, 18:44

Let's try not to get carried away by hubris here. This forum has its own share of those who form thoughts more around vanity than lucidity, as there is a distinct "F-35 can't not be the best in every criteria" kneejerk to be found from some regular posters.

by juretrn » 27 Dec 2019, 22:11

knowan wrote:He's had more accounts banned off these forums, and it looks like his Quora account got nuked too. Can't fix stupid.

This, ahem, special individual retains a Quora account (unfortunately).
Linking so you can mute his stupidity. https://www.quora.com/profile/Jeff-Jaworski-1
Russia stronk

by squirrelshoes » 27 Dec 2019, 22:21

Any opinions on how MALD/MALD-J would impact ingress of contested airspace? There haven't been any large scale attacks against a near peer IADS since they started being delivered in usable quantities, but they have since acquired a shit-ton of them.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 28 Dec 2019, 01:02

squirrelshoes wrote:Any opinions on how MALD/MALD-J would impact ingress of contested airspace? There haven't been any large scale attacks against a near peer IADS since they started being delivered in usable quantities, but they have since acquired a shit-ton of them.

I was reviewing the "Favorite Quotes" thread yesterday. I came across the quote by a Lightning driver about how 4th gen pilots would "chase ghosts" -- every little radar hit, or anything to suggest a possible contact on a "stealth" airplane drove them batty... sometimes causing them to do dumb (i.e. tactically unsound) things... of which he could then take advantage.

If you program MALD / MALD-J's to be a "little sneaky" (i.e. not obvious)... you might suitably exercise a near peer IADS into doing things that will make it (relatively) easy for the F-35 to slip by (or kill them).
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

by knowan » 28 Dec 2019, 02:33

juretrn wrote:This, ahem, special individual retains a Quora account (unfortunately).
Linking so you can mute his stupidity. https://www.quora.com/profile/Jeff-Jaworski-1

Looks to be a fresh account after his previous one got nuked. Stupid never learns.

Banned

by zero-one » 22 Jan 2020, 10:21

your opinions?

Disclaimer: Binkov seems like he's Russian (by the accent) but he's not one of your typical Biased content creators. I think it's pretty well researched and neutral. He did specify that he doubts the claims of the S-400 to have 90km detection range for VLO and that actual useful targeting range may be much lower.

your thoughts.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 22 Jan 2020, 11:00

I agree that it was well made and fairly neutral video. S-400 along with other SAM systems are definitely very dangerous systems against non-VLO aircraft. Like said million times here that 4th gen fighters can fight against them, but it won't definitely be easy at all. Even much older SAM systems like SA-2, SA-3 and SA-6 have proven to be dangerous and these new systems are far more capable.

5th gen fighters are very difficult for the SAM systems due to taking away huge portion of their SA and also having better SA about the threat situation. Another problem is that stealth will lower the hit probability of the missile even if the SAM system can detect and track the VLO target. Especially in combination of countermeasures in such cases.

I think it's difficult to tell if S-400 is the best SAM system in the world. Different systems have different design priorities and it depends on situation which system is the best. In that video it was well said that minimum Patriot battery takes 5 C-5 flights to deliver while S-400 took 72 An-124 flights for full battery. A full Patriot battery most likely takes only a dozen C-5 flights which makes it very suitable for global operations like US does. S-400 does have impressive range and coverage, so it's probably pretty good if logistics is not a problem. SAMP/T is also much lighter and shorter ranged system than S-400 but has nice 360 degree coverage. I think it's very good all-around SAM system for most use cases.

PreviousNext