Favorite F-35 Quotes

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 11 Dec 2017, 14:52

Several excellent quotes from Brig. General Scott Pleus:

"I can tell you that it is by far the best platform I've ever flown in my entire life, and at that you would have to take me on my word."

"In terms of lethality and survivability, the aircraft is absolutely head and shoulders above our legacy fleet of fighters currently fielded. This is an absolutely formidable airplane, and one our adversaries should fear."

"You never knew I was there. You literally would never know I'm there. I flew the F-35 against other fourth-generation platforms and we killed them and they never even saw us."

"If you were to engage an F-35 in say, a visual dogfight capability, the capabilities of the F-35 are absolutely eye-watering compared to a fourth-generation fighter."

"The airplane has unbelievable maneuvering characteristics that make it completely undefeatable in an air-to-air environment. So if it's a long-range contact, you'll never see me and you'll die, and if it's within visual-range contact you'll see me and you're gonna die and you're gonna die very quickly."

'One our adversaries should fear': US Air Force General describes how the F-35 is above and beyond the competition
Amanda Macias 26 Dec 2016
http://www.businessinsider.com/general- ... f35-2017-1

Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 11 Dec 2017, 15:26

"The F-35 is comparable or better in every one of those metrics, sometimes by a significant margin, in both air-to-air, and when we hog-up those fourth-generation fighters, for the air-to-ground mission."

If one were to overlay the energy-maneuverability (E-M) diagrams for the F/A-18, F-16 or Typhoon over the F-35's, "It is better. Comparable or better than every Western fourth-generation fighter out there," Flynn says. That applies even to the F-35 B and C models with their respective 7g and 7.5g limits. "You're not going to see any measurable difference between the aircraft," Flynn says. In terms of instantaneous and sustained turn rates and just about every other performance metric, the F-35 variants match or considerably exceed the capabilities of every fourth-generation fighter, he says.

7 Feb 2013
IN FOCUS: Lockheed claims F-35 kinematics ‘better than or equal to’ Typhoon or Super Hornet
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... er-382078/

Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 11 Dec 2017, 15:37

Especially love this tweet from Billie Flynn

Raging pulling G out over Atlantic Ocean in CF-5. Love this jet...flies like a kite and turns like a snowboard in deep powder snow.

3 Mar 2017
https://mobile.twitter.com/billieflynn/ ... 76/photo/1

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Dec 2017, 19:12

:devil: The F-35 family (the BUTT Sistas) kickin' BUTT! Now that would be my favourite pilot crewroom quote. :devil: Come On. 8)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by nutshell » 12 Dec 2017, 01:33

But Bertha is a big woman tho :D

We need a sister which is chubby !

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 12 Dec 2017, 03:52

:devil: Right On BRUTHA! :doh:

by juretrn » 31 Dec 2017, 12:29

“There is nothing that I have seen from maneuvering an F-35 in a tactical environment that leads me to assume that there is any other airplane I would rather be in. I feel completely comfortable and confident in taking that airplane into any combat environment,” Lt. Col. Matt Hayden, 56th Fighter Wing, Chief of Safety, Luke AFB, Arizona, told Scout Warrior in a special pilot interview last year.

More ammo in favour of the F-35 ;) ;)
Russia stronk

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 01 Jan 2018, 18:12

"Can't turn, can't climb and can't run" is going to haunt APA for a loooong time :)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 29 Jan 2018, 03:12

The F-35 is fantastic.. it's got sass, it's got class and it's going to protect your a$$. :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ETvx7jPLM
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 29 Jan 2018, 03:25

Ah the 'popcorn' (is it salty or sugarcoated?) is back: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52749&p=363745&hilit=21ETvx7jPLM#p363745

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 29 Jan 2018, 04:04

mixelflick wrote:"Can't turn, can't climb and can't run" is going to haunt APA for a loooong time :)

They will just edit that out, or write yet another contradictory "white paper"

Have you seen them flip flop on the Super Hornet? right down to trying to say they will sue if you show that they once praised it?
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 29 Jan 2018, 04:09

XanderCrews wrote:
mixelflick wrote:"Can't turn, can't climb and can't run" is going to haunt APA for a loooong time :)

They will just edit that out, or write yet another contradictory "white paper"

Have you seen them flip flop on the Super Hornet? right down to trying to say they will sue if you show that they once praised it?

I'm shocked, shocked that APA has questionably academic integrity.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 29 Jan 2018, 04:23

When asked about my first flight in the F-35, I compared it to flying a Hornet (F/A-18), but with a turbo charged engine. I now can quote a USMC F/A-18 Weapons School Graduate after his first flight in the F-35: «It was like flying a Hornet with four engines!»

http://www.businessinsider.com/leaked-d ... ree-2016-9

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 29 Jan 2018, 04:40

rheonomic wrote:I'm shocked, shocked that APA has questionably academic integrity.

I was surprised too!!

I laughed liked this^^

2.7 Observations
The Super Hornet is a fighter with exceptional handling qualities, even by modern fighter standards, which even a novice can handle comfortably and with confidence at the edge of the low speed manoeuvre envelope.

The point which Boeing and the US Navy have made most convincingly, is that the aircraft's flight control software is so robust that even a beginner on the type can fly it without embarrassing himself too badly. Sceptics should note that test pilot comments about fighters with this generation of flight controls being as easy to fly as a Cessna 172 are indeed correct. There is no room for argument here, as I had the opportunity to observe first hand!

In the hands of an experienced combat pilot, such flight control software means that the pilot can be wholly focussed on the furball in progress, and need not devote any thought to pushing the aircraft past the edge into a uncontrolled departure and resulting risk of a ground impact or successful enemy missile shot. The importance of a substantially departure resistant aircraft, especially if encumbered with stores, cannot be understated - carefree handling translates directly into combat effectiveness.

In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30. The analogue and early generation digital flight controls with hard-wired or hard-coded AoA limiters used in the Russian aircraft are a generation behind the Super Hornet and a much more experienced pilot will be required for the Russian types to match the ease with which the Super Hornet handles high alpha flight regimes.

The reports emanating from carrier landing trials performed in the US cannot be disputed, the aircraft is a sheer delight in the circuit and will take much of the anxiety out of night and bad weather traps, especially for nugget fighter-attack pilots.

The cockpit ergonomics build upon two decades of Hornet experience, and make for a very comfortable and easy to use cockpit environment. Again, a novice pilot will find the MFD modes easy to navigate and easy to follow. The colour moving map display makes navigational orientation ridiculously easy, against the mental chores of VOR/DME/TACAN, radar mapping and INS/map-on-the-knee navigation. The prospect of MIDS/RWR/radar/IFF tracks being overlayed on the moving map will take much effort out of maintaining wider area situational awareness.

The radar is very easy to use in MMTI, GMTI and SAR spot mapping modes, and provides an excellent tool for highly accurate all weather maritime strike, littoral strike and battlefield interdiction operations. In particular, the ability to interleave MTI and surface mapping modes is exceptionally useful for resolving and identifying moving surface targets of opportunity.

In conclusion, the reports of the Hornet's exceptional high alpha handling characteristics are provably correct. Established Hornet users should not be disappointed by this aircraft!

But then all of the sudden the RAAF, an "Established Hornet user" purchased Super Hornets!:

In summary, the Flanker outperforms the Super Hornet decisively in aerodynamic performance. What advantage the Super Hornet now has in the APG-79 radar will vanish in coming years as Russian AESAs emerge. The one area in which the Flanker currently trails the Super Hornet is in radar signature (stealth) performance. The Super Hornet has inlet geometry shaping, inlet tunnel S-bends, and an AESA shroud all of which reduce its forward sector signature well below that of the Flanker.

In the short term, this is an advantage the Super Hornet retains, with the caveat that external stores put hard limits on signature improvement for the Super Hornet. However, Russian researchers have done some excellent work over the last decade in absorbent materials and laminate techniques for radar signature reduction, which offer the potential for the Flanker to achieve similar signature reduction to the F/A-18E/F. If funded, a reduced signature Flanker is feasible in the next half decade.

In conclusion, the Flanker in all current variants kinematically outclasses the Super Hornet in all high performance flight regimes. The only near term advantage the latest Super Hornets have over legacy Flanker variants is in the APG-79 AESA and radar signature reduction features, an advantage which will not last long given highly active ongoing Russian development effort in these areas. The supercruising Al-41F engine will further widen the performance gap in favour of the Flanker. What this means is that post 2010 the Super Hornet is uncompetitive against advanced Flankers in BVR combat, as it is now uncompetitive in close combat

And they updated with this

APA Notice

This article predates the mid December, 2006, announcement by Defence that Super Hornets may be sought as gap fillers for the RAAF, and subsequent decision to acquire these aircraft. The article does not constitute an endorsement of that proposal in any fashion and should not be interpreted to be such by any parties. It concentrates primarily on the history and flying qualities of the aircraft. Any attempt to present this article as an endorsement of the Super Hornet decision will be considered to be intentional and mischievous misrepresentation.

So don't go using their own words against them smart guy.

what part of:

the Flanker in all current variants kinematically outclasses the Super Hornet in all high performance flight regimes.

and

the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30.

don't you understand?
Last edited by XanderCrews on 29 Jan 2018, 04:49, edited 2 times in total.
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 29 Jan 2018, 04:43

«It was like flying a Hornet with four engines!»

I've heard this before from Lightning drivers I've talked with.
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

PreviousNext