F-35 design changed?

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 22 Nov 2018, 05:50

SpudmanWP wrote:AF-1 through AF-71 are identical (OML wise) for all intents and purposes.

x2

I would extend that to whatever the latest AF-number is that they’ve delivered to-date.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by hoghandler » 22 Nov 2018, 14:02

pquispea_m5 wrote:I found some differences between old and new F35A. Someone else found more differences on shape?
Regards,
Pablo

What you are comparing in the pics is differant parts of the center fuselage. The first and last pic are of the forward end bulkhead of the middle section assembly. The others are of the middle sections aft end with the engine bay. The curves and shaping of these end are different because of where they are in relation to the airplane. So yeah the curves an all are indeed different from each other but you also are compaing two differant ends of the plane.

Also thr forward end will be differant between the A/C models and B models as well. That because the of the B lift fan mounted in that area. So there are structural changes between models. You would have to find pics of just A's to compare to A's B's to B's etc...

by pquispea_m5 » 22 Nov 2018, 14:25

hoghandler wrote:
pquispea_m5 wrote: What you are comparing in the pics is differant parts of the center fuselage. The first and last pic are of the forward end bulkhead of the middle section assembly. The others are of the middle sections aft end with the engine bay. The curves and shaping of these end are different because of where they are in relation to the airplane. So yeah the curves an all are indeed different from each other but you also are compaing two differant ends of the plane.
Also thr forward end will be differant between the A/C models and B models as well. That because the of the B lift fan mounted in that area. So there are structural changes between models. You would have to find pics of just A's to compare to A's B's to B's etc...

I think I am ok. just comparing these 2 sections in new and old A version
Attachments
F-35AhollandSideViewWheels.jpg

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by hoghandler » 22 Nov 2018, 16:51

I get what you ae saying now. I dont think they would change the outer mold line contours in the middle of production. That would require a major redesign of the structures and changes in tooling to build the aircraft. And for anything that drastic in the structure to change i believe the designation would change as well. F-35A would then be F-35D for example. I just think its just the angles of the componemts in the pics throwing us off. From one angle its curved and in a different view its more straight. Look at pics of the F-117. It changed shape and size from different viewing angles.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 22 Nov 2018, 19:14

They did change the tooling — reference the earlier Air and Space article and reference to deletion of the mating joints.

Previous