The trouble with the basement dwellers

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 11 Jun 2014, 10:13

Whilst I acknowledge the basement dwellers ( I.e. Eric Palmer, Solomon, Don Bacon etc...) have zero chance of influencing any acquisition decisions (despite their dreams), they do cause other journalists and insignificant politicians (as we have recently seen in Australia) to publish utter garbage such as this: http://www.news.com.au/technology/the-1 ... 6950254330

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by lookieloo » 11 Jun 2014, 11:11

I don't thinks there's as much to worry about from them as there was 4-5 years ago. Back then they could any dire prediction they wanted because the test program was so far behind. Perhaps someone with more time on their hands can flip through ELP's blog and look-up all the things he's said the F-35 will never do. Sure, they always have an excuse whenever a milestone is passed; but they're running out of things to complain about. Pretty soon, they're gonna be reduced to whining about sci-fi capabilities it was never intended to have. I can hardly wait to hear gripes about the lack of energy shields ten years from now.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Jun 2014, 14:04

lookieloo wrote:I don't thinks there's as much to worry about from them as there was 4-5 years ago. Back then they could any dire prediction they wanted because the test program was so far behind. Perhaps someone with more time on their hands can flip through ELP's blog and look-up all the things he's said the F-35 will never do. Sure, they always have an excuse whenever a milestone is passed; but they're running out of things to complain about. Pretty soon, they're gonna be reduced to whining about sci-fi capabilities it was never intended to have. I can hardly wait to hear gripes about the lack of energy shields ten years from now.

I have thought about going through APA and noting all the contradictions-- don't have that kind of time though

That article that GTX posted is just "basic research fail" though -- simple facts, that they got wrong or didn't bother to check.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Jun 2014, 14:32

What a litany of b/s in that article. Amazing people are paid to produce such crap. An example:
"...“Commonality” decrees that even those versions not carrying the heavy, fuel-hungry and unbalancing engine pointing downwards behind the pilot still have to have the huge hole to accommodate it.

The air force cops a double-whammy: They also don’t need the strong — but heavy — structural reinforcements that a fighter needs to be captured by an aircraft carrier’s arrester hooks, or be catapulted off the deck...."

Listing previous problems that have been solved is utterly ridiculous but sadly a fact of Oz journos aping their UK peers - if they can be called that.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by bring_it_on » 11 Jun 2014, 14:51

Don Bacon

Everybody has AESA. China has incorporated AESA into a new radar system which it is fitting to its latest warships. The system is apparently capable of locating a stealth aircraft within 220 miles.

walter sobchak

There are some remarkable uses of AESA. Just read a report how some fat, useless basement dwellers have managed to put a full fledged 1000 element Gallium nitride AESA sensor in their basement so that they could communicate with other such creatures. The AESA apparently uses a very narrow beam and a short pulse to transmit bull $hit across the world wide web.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On a more serious note, with some coverage expected for the F-35 with the UK visit, QEC christening and the potential Canadian decision, I am sure that the anti-JSF crowd will get extremely desperate and up the frequency of such articles.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 11 Jun 2014, 15:21

Bring_it_on, just keep mentioning about the PAK FA's exploding engine to those anti F35ers. Watch those guys foam at the mouth uncontrollably and make weak excuses for that incident.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 11 Jun 2014, 19:09

And right on schedule here are two of them re-posting it (Don't know what's up with Solomon - he must not have received the memo…):

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bi ... le=release
http://elpdefensenews.blogspot.com.au/2 ... ement.html

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Jun 2014, 19:16

LOL

ELP's daily schedule:

1.wake up, talk to mom and dad about getting a job. Explain how the basement needs more heating/air conditioning again, and if its not fixed I'm really moving out. For real this time. I'm a defense expert for godsakes!

2. Surf the net for F-35 news. Comment on every thread. Link to my own stuff, If that doesn't work tell people to google a phrase that will lead them to my stuff anyway or Airpower Australia.

3. Lunch. contemplate how my life makes a huge difference in defense matters. wonder why the USAF never trusted me with more than a camera and taking pretty pictures while others actually fought in the Global War on Terror. Realize I am not a man.

4 Re-.Declare myself a military expert. Get tough Eric! Don Bacon is counting on you! You need to comment on innocuous fluff pieces!!

4. Check twitter, complain there. go back to complaining other places.

5. Realize I can't count but continuity/logic has never been my strong suit.

6. Google F-111. Cry.

7. Delete comments I don't want to hear on my blog. Lament that I can't delete comments elsewhere. Wonder why I bother.

8. Hate on Lockheed Martin/promote F-22s.

9. Say my prayers before bed, Thank god I am on the internet constantly and not exercising, experiencing nature, helping people, etc.
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 11 Jun 2014, 19:27

mk82 wrote:Bring_it_on, just keep mentioning about the PAK FA's exploding engine to those anti F35ers. Watch those guys foam at the mouth uncontrollably and make weak excuses for that incident.

Don't you know? This was a planned test to demonstrate how superior the T-50 is - Eric Palmer was the only one to pick up on it:
"Eric PalmerTuesday, June 10, 2014 5:10:00 PM
Interesting take-away, "Successfully able to land the plane on one engine."

See comments here

And to rub it in even more, this is a test the F-35 has yet to perform. Those darn crafty Russians…showing the west up again!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 11 Jun 2014, 19:32

Damn, it Xander…You owe me a new keyboard now! :lmao:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 11 Jun 2014, 19:57

gtx wrote:
mk82 wrote:Bring_it_on, just keep mentioning about the PAK FA's exploding engine to those anti F35ers. Watch those guys foam at the mouth uncontrollably and make weak excuses for that incident.

Don't you know? This was a planned test to demonstrate how superior the T-50 is - Eric Palmer was the only one to pick up on it:
"Eric PalmerTuesday, June 10, 2014 5:10:00 PM
Interesting take-away, "Successfully able to land the plane on one engine."

See comments here

And to rub it in even more, this is a test the F-35 has yet to perform. Those darn crafty Russians…showing the west up again!

LOL! Perhaps the PAK FA has dual afterburners....forward and aft....good for those Russian winters :D. Its small comfort for Sergey Bogdan to have an operational engine had the right engine fire started properly in mid flight and burned uncontrollably. ELP is missing the point as usual....it was a massive PR disaster for Sukhoi. The IAF is not going forget this incident. It is just not a good look to have your latest prototype suffer an engine fire at this stage of its development. Touch wood the F35 so far do not require such "tests" :D

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 11 Jun 2014, 20:43

2. Surf the net for F-35 news. Comment on every thread. Link to my own stuff, If that doesn't work tell people to google a phrase that will lead them to my stuff anyway or Airpower Australia.

That's why I nicknamed him the Drive-By Blogger :devil:
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 12 Jun 2014, 00:03

Can't vouch for the linked post proferring more info on the PAK-FA incident. Bogdan says he wasn't the pilot.. also tries to downplay the fire as something local staff were able to,deal with as,firefighters were late to,arrive.. I have this,image of, people, scampering frantically carrying with handheld extinguishers.. pretty sure the Indian,delegation got,some dramatic,pics,to,share with the folks,back home.

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... ?p=1670891

Translated from Russian, but with some gibberish

Quote:

MOSCOW, June 10. / ITAR-TASS /. Fifth-generation fighter T-50 (promising aviation complex tactical aviation, PAK FA) caught fire during tests in Zhukovsky, the fire was quickly extinguished, as a result of the accident no one was hurt. Told Itar-Tass learned at the press service of the company "Sukhoi".

According to the "Dry", the incident occurred when the T-50 landing at the airport Flight Research Institute. Gromov staff after a test flight. As explained in the press service, "smoke was observed over the right air intake, then there was a local fire." Representative LII. Gromov said that fighter, as usual, carried out test flights, but did a few laps at a very low altitude. According to him, the fire proved to be small, no pops or explosions was not heard, and the arrival of firefighters did not need - airport employees handled themselves. Earlier it was reported that the plane was piloted by test pilot "Sukhoi" Sergei Bogdan. However, the pilot denied this information. "I just returned today from a trip," - he said Itar-Tass by telephone. In the Sukhoi Design Bureau created a commission to investigate the causes of fire. While no version was not made Previous incident with the PAK FA August 21, 2011 at MAKS-2011 fighter aircraft could not fly. In the dispersal of the aircraft was recorded outbreak of the right engine nozzle, and then the pilot released the brake parachute, and the plane stopped within the runway. Cause of the accident was the failure of the power plant automation engine, occurred as a result of its surging. According to experts, did not load sensor that monitors the parameters of the power plant. As emphasized in the company, a new incident will not affect the timing of the tests, and the victim T-50 will be restored - he received only minor damage. According to ITAR-TASS source in law enforcement, the fighter has not yet passed the Defense Ministry. "The car belongs to the company" Sukhoi ", - said the agency interlocutor..
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 12 Jun 2014, 01:14

Just imagine how such an event would be treated in the media were it an F-35 that had the gaping hole in the top of the fuselage where the fire burned through. :roll:

...and the Russian article is almost as good as Baghdad Bob.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by lookieloo » 12 Jun 2014, 03:22

XanderCrews wrote:LOL
... 6. Google F-111. Cry...
Now THAT'S funny.

Next