Favorite F-35 Quotes

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 15 Apr 2018, 11:36

popcorn wrote:"Everything they see becomes the F-35 out there...Every radar hit, every communication is about the stealth jet. They want to illuminate or eliminate a threat they can't handle...It has nothing to do with their skill or technology. They're at such a technological disadvantage... I've seen guys in F-18s turn directly in front of me and show me their tails cause they have no idea I'm there...It aggregates to a completely inept response to what we're doing in the air..People are so hellbent on shooting down the stealth fighter that they invariably make mistakes that I can exploit."

- Maj. Dan Flatley, USMC( ret.)

Damn!!!! That says it all.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by gta4 » 15 Apr 2018, 16:54

XanderCrews wrote:
rheonomic wrote:I'm shocked, shocked that APA has questionably academic integrity.

I was surprised too!!

I laughed liked this^^

2.7 Observations
The Super Hornet is a fighter with exceptional handling qualities, even by modern fighter standards, which even a novice can handle comfortably and with confidence at the edge of the low speed manoeuvre envelope.

The point which Boeing and the US Navy have made most convincingly, is that the aircraft's flight control software is so robust that even a beginner on the type can fly it without embarrassing himself too badly. Sceptics should note that test pilot comments about fighters with this generation of flight controls being as easy to fly as a Cessna 172 are indeed correct. There is no room for argument here, as I had the opportunity to observe first hand!

In the hands of an experienced combat pilot, such flight control software means that the pilot can be wholly focussed on the furball in progress, and need not devote any thought to pushing the aircraft past the edge into a uncontrolled departure and resulting risk of a ground impact or successful enemy missile shot. The importance of a substantially departure resistant aircraft, especially if encumbered with stores, cannot be understated - carefree handling translates directly into combat effectiveness.

In a low speed post-merge manoeuvring fight, with a high off-boresight 4th generation missile and Helmet Mounted Display, the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30. The analogue and early generation digital flight controls with hard-wired or hard-coded AoA limiters used in the Russian aircraft are a generation behind the Super Hornet and a much more experienced pilot will be required for the Russian types to match the ease with which the Super Hornet handles high alpha flight regimes.

The reports emanating from carrier landing trials performed in the US cannot be disputed, the aircraft is a sheer delight in the circuit and will take much of the anxiety out of night and bad weather traps, especially for nugget fighter-attack pilots.

The cockpit ergonomics build upon two decades of Hornet experience, and make for a very comfortable and easy to use cockpit environment. Again, a novice pilot will find the MFD modes easy to navigate and easy to follow. The colour moving map display makes navigational orientation ridiculously easy, against the mental chores of VOR/DME/TACAN, radar mapping and INS/map-on-the-knee navigation. The prospect of MIDS/RWR/radar/IFF tracks being overlayed on the moving map will take much effort out of maintaining wider area situational awareness.

The radar is very easy to use in MMTI, GMTI and SAR spot mapping modes, and provides an excellent tool for highly accurate all weather maritime strike, littoral strike and battlefield interdiction operations. In particular, the ability to interleave MTI and surface mapping modes is exceptionally useful for resolving and identifying moving surface targets of opportunity.

In conclusion, the reports of the Hornet's exceptional high alpha handling characteristics are provably correct. Established Hornet users should not be disappointed by this aircraft!

But then all of the sudden the RAAF, an "Established Hornet user" purchased Super Hornets!:

In summary, the Flanker outperforms the Super Hornet decisively in aerodynamic performance. What advantage the Super Hornet now has in the APG-79 radar will vanish in coming years as Russian AESAs emerge. The one area in which the Flanker currently trails the Super Hornet is in radar signature (stealth) performance. The Super Hornet has inlet geometry shaping, inlet tunnel S-bends, and an AESA shroud all of which reduce its forward sector signature well below that of the Flanker.

In the short term, this is an advantage the Super Hornet retains, with the caveat that external stores put hard limits on signature improvement for the Super Hornet. However, Russian researchers have done some excellent work over the last decade in absorbent materials and laminate techniques for radar signature reduction, which offer the potential for the Flanker to achieve similar signature reduction to the F/A-18E/F. If funded, a reduced signature Flanker is feasible in the next half decade.

In conclusion, the Flanker in all current variants kinematically outclasses the Super Hornet in all high performance flight regimes. The only near term advantage the latest Super Hornets have over legacy Flanker variants is in the APG-79 AESA and radar signature reduction features, an advantage which will not last long given highly active ongoing Russian development effort in these areas. The supercruising Al-41F engine will further widen the performance gap in favour of the Flanker. What this means is that post 2010 the Super Hornet is uncompetitive against advanced Flankers in BVR combat, as it is now uncompetitive in close combat

And they updated with this

APA Notice

This article predates the mid December, 2006, announcement by Defence that Super Hornets may be sought as gap fillers for the RAAF, and subsequent decision to acquire these aircraft. The article does not constitute an endorsement of that proposal in any fashion and should not be interpreted to be such by any parties. It concentrates primarily on the history and flying qualities of the aircraft. Any attempt to present this article as an endorsement of the Super Hornet decision will be considered to be intentional and mischievous misrepresentation.

So don't go using their own words against them smart guy.

what part of:

the Flanker in all current variants kinematically outclasses the Super Hornet in all high performance flight regimes.

and

the Super Hornet will be a very difficult opponent for any current Russian fighter, even the Su-27/30.

don't you understand?

This is because he does not consider low speed dogfight as high performance fighter regime.
And, If he read the manual carefully, he will notice that super hornet out accelerate all flanker variants at subsonic (except su35)
And, The pirouette maneuver of super hornet can help it outturn most flanker vatiants.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 15 Apr 2018, 23:07

“We are not going to let the enemy dictate what we do now...I can float the aircraft carrier anywhere I want, I can float this offshore to any country, any continent and I can fly in when I choose – not when they permit me to do so...There is nothing they can do.”

- Wing Commander James Beck
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 15 Apr 2018, 23:16

"When we're sitting here on USS America, a ship that was built for the F-35, with the F-35 in mind, and you put 6 or 8 or 12 F-35s on this ship, this ship instantly becomes the most powerful concentration of combat power to put to sea in the history of the world."

Maj. John Dirk, USMC
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 20 Apr 2018, 11:55

OH this is so sad - how many times do we have to say THINK DIFFERENT and we still have endless this v that threads. :devil:
"...The F-35 “really is a leap forward compared to anything we operated before,” said Butcher, Wing Commander John Butcher [who previously flew Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets]. “The fact that it can see and hear at such significant ranges, it has all the sensors and the technology that will support the pilot in the cockpit to make quick, good decisions—that for me is the thing that changes with this platform.”...

...Butcher’s 617 Sqdn. includes a mix of experienced aviators and four brand-new pilots. It is these young men and women, climbing into the F-35 with no preconceptions, who will be key to developing tactics for the new stealth fighter, Butcher said.

The pilots “need to forget what they knew before. They need to come with a new portfolio, a new idea in their heads of exactly what it is they need to do with the platform to make it air combat effective,” Butcher said. “All of the previous tactics and the way we used to fight are very much gone.”..." http://aviationweek.com/defense/uk-s-ro ... 5-squadron [repeated on the UKmodInAmuddle thread]

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 26 Apr 2018, 23:51

“The F-35 is a great airplane. The comments that I make about the F-35 are about program execution. There’s a real difference. The airplane itself is a high-performing, advanced, fifth-generation fighter.”

Patrick M. Shanahan - DEPSECDEF and former Boeing Sr. VP
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 27 Apr 2018, 12:59

This is the LONGEST QUOTE one would wish to hear from retired LtCol USMC 'Chip' Berke in .WMA format - others too large. Thanks 'SWP' for editing the youtube video from 'Dragon029' which excerpt this WMA sound only file consists. :mrgreen:
Attachments

Lt Col David 'Chip' Berke (Retired) Talks being an.wma [ 8.02 MiB | Viewed 24405 times ]

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 19 Jun 2018, 06:27

Another great thing in having radio frequency systems software defined is that upgrading and improving the systems does not usually need any hardware modifications and can be made very quickly. Need new waveforms or new features in old waveforms? Just upgrade the software which might take couple of minutes or even less and there you have all those new capabilities. Of course in real life there are always some hardware limitations and some larger upgrades might need upgraded hardware also. But they are also easier to make as there are much less done with hardware and there is less physical stuff that needs to be changed.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 19 Jun 2018, 06:48

Billie Flynn about F-35 hot/cold weather testing:
F-35 weather testing

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Jun 2018, 08:18

by jedigman » 20 Jun 2018, 22:28

Billie Flynn adressing Turkish delegation who are there for rollout ceremony of Turkey's first F-35.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 20 Jun 2018, 23:03

The KIDS are going to ROOL in F-35 - OLDies be damned! My take away from Billie Flynn explaining how good it all will be.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 25 Jun 2018, 13:57

lrrpf52 wrote:I talked with a new F-35A pilot with 388th at Hill AFB open house yesterday.

He looked to be half my age, but was very much appreciative of the aircraft's capabilities. He said on drop night at the end of flight training, he got slotted for F-35A, even though F-22 was his first pick. He said, "Knowing what I know now, I'm so glad it worked out that way."

"Everything I've seen about performance and detection range out in the open is very misinformed. We can get in way closer than any of the numbers I've seen."

While we were chatting, the ordnance folks were literally loading up GBU-12s and AIM-9Xs on external pylons.

He said they are just beginning to expand the capabilities. We were talking about how the gun is more in-play going offensive from unobserved approaches, and he got excited with a large smile. "That's the idea."

It was very interesting to listen to his perspective, especially as a brand new F-35 driver speaking with a reasoned level of confidence coming from a situational awareness and VLO conversation, instead of maneuverability, speed, etc.

This is a totally different organizational conversion from the days of the F-4E and A-7D to the F-15 and F-16. Pilots who converted to the Eagle or Fighting Falcon would talk about things in terms of comparison to what the older jets could do with re: maneuverability, better cockpit layout, and avionics.

This is something else.

VERY interesting.

Thanks for sharing :)

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 03 Jul 2018, 15:38

The F-35 pilot has the option to continuously point the nose at the adversary, even at ridiculously slow speeds, which is a great capability to have in combination with high off-boresight missiles and a helmet mounted sight.
-- Lt Col Ian Knight

Out of the Shadows // Test Report // Dutch F-35 Update, Frank Crebas, http://www.combataircraft.net, May 2018, p.33

Knight divulged a little more information about flying basic fighter maneuvers (BFM) in an F-35. ‘When our envelope was cleared to practise BFM we got the opportunity to fight some fourth generation fighters. Remember, back then the rumors were that the F-35 was a pig. The first time the opponents showed up [in the training area] they had wing tanks along with a bunch of missiles. I guess they figured that being in a dirty configuration wouldn’t really matter and that they would still easily outmaneuver us. By the end of the week, though, they had dropped their wing tanks, transitioned to a single centerline fuel tank and were still doing everything they could not to get gunned by us. A week later they stripped the jets clean of all external stores, which made the BFM fights interesting, to say the least…"
-- Lt Col Ian Knight

Out of the Shadows // Test Report // Dutch F-35 Update, Frank Crebas, http://www.combataircraft.net, May 2018, p.33
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 03 Jul 2018, 17:57

The SIX page PDF :devil: 'ONLY THE SHADOW NOSE' :devil: has been posted earlier May 2018:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54012

PDF download: Dutch F-35As OUT of the SHADOWS - Combat Aircraft May 2018 pp6.pdf
download/file.php?id=26975 (PDF 1.91Mb) [downloaded sum 2,229 times already even]

Three page text PDF of goodygoody Quotes about fightin' dogs attached.
Attachments
F-35As Out of the SHADOWS Dutch May 2018 QUOTES pp3.pdf
(195.32 KiB) Downloaded 517 times

PreviousNext