The trouble with the basement dwellers

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II

by les_paul59 » 20 Apr 2016, 01:19

Most of the F-35 criticism is relegated to the jet's future air to air performance, but to try and attack it's avionics and sensor fusion shows a serious lack of understanding.....granted they need to get the software stability locked down, and they will.

This jet will be the best precision strike aircraft in the world as soon as it reaches IOC this year (f-35A)....what other jet in the history of aviation could say that right out of the box. The acceleration and speed that it can reach with two 2k JDAMS is very impressive, no one ever mentions that though (MACH 1.6 with internal weapons and full of gas) while being stealthy

By the way when did the f-35 dogfight a f-14?....that link says it trained with a tomcat, must have been a typo.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 20 Apr 2016, 01:41

Wake me up when someone actually comes up with a complaint we've never heard before.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by mk82 » 20 Apr 2016, 07:11

count_to_10 wrote:Sadly, I'm going to have to include this one:
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/19/g ... -computer/

I usually like the site, but the article author has swallowed the "Reformer" crap whole.

Lol, it is "hot air" indeed :devil:

" By the way when did the f-35 dogfight a f-14?....that link says it trained with a tomcat, must have been a typo."

That tells you about the credibility of that article....Zilch!!!!!! I doubt it was just a typo.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 20 Apr 2016, 19:59

Hot air is a right wing/conservative news site. F-35 is just a ticket to bash the current left president and continue to bash the federal government for doing federal government things.

Agree with popcorn same old same old
Choose Crews

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 20 Apr 2016, 22:02

XanderCrews wrote:Hot air is a right wing/conservative news site. F-35 is just a ticket to bash the current left president and continue to bash the federal government for doing federal government things.

To some extent, yes. Hot Air had gotten positively lousy with isolationist types in the last two or three years, and that was before they went to Facebook commenting.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 20 Apr 2016, 22:06

count_to_10 wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:Hot air is a right wing/conservative news site. F-35 is just a ticket to bash the current left president and continue to bash the federal government for doing federal government things.

To some extent, yes. Hot Air had gotten positively lousy with isolationist types in the last two or three years, and that was before they went to Facebook commenting.

Aw. I only go for the headlines basically. Then duck out
Choose Crews

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 22 Apr 2016, 21:50

And another one, because Jazz doesn't know when to stop digging himself into a hole:

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/22/y ... ire-fleet/
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 01 May 2016, 00:04

I haven't seen LowObsevable post on the forums for a while. He must be studying very hard.
Does anyone know how long the Paid Shill training school is at Northrop Grumman?

Where's the wally, Sweetman?
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 04 May 2016, 12:08

optimist wrote:I haven't seen LowObsevable post on the forums for a while. He must be studying very hard.
Does anyone know how long the Paid Shill training school is at Northrop Grumman?

Ask Maus. He went through the Boeing/Navy extension course.

by arg » 10 May 2016, 04:03

Yet again, hearing from the actual operators tells me we (and especially the critics) haven't begun to realize the potential of the F-35. In the May 2016 issue of Combat Aircraft magazine, there's an article on the 422nd TES evaluating the F-35. Here's excerpts from the article:

"...most interestingly, the F-35 excelled in the CSAR test." "...its performance in the CSAR role caught many by surprise. Wood is quick to point out that the F-35 was not a formal part of the test, but became involved only when the squadron needed an A-10 'Sandy 1' pilot and the only one available was a current F-35 pilot. "In the middle of the test we threw a couple of F-35s into the fray. One of the F-35s ended up taking over the role of 'Sandy 1'. He runs the whole show, from the rescue helos to the tankers to the entire C2 apparatus. This particular F-35 was a Block 1B, so about as immature as they come, but this F-35 pilot was a former CSAR IP."

"No kidding, he shows up and within five minutes on station he's quarterbacked the whole thing, they've rescued the survivor and everyone goes home. It was a fascinating data point - that F-35 was running an immature, never-made-for-prime-time, incrementally developed tape. But he was able to run the CSAR force through his training and SA, using some of the F-35's strengths, and mitigating its challenges."

Pretty impressive to me!!

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 May 2016, 04:26

Some info from same article above here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24483&p=319455&hilit=Combat+Aircraft+Magazine#p319455

F-35 Green Bats Combat Aircraft Monthly May 2016 pp10.pdf

Download 2Mb 10 page PDF of article: download/file.php?id=22817

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 10 May 2016, 09:38

Thank you for the pdf Spaz!

I like this:

Chipman is upbeat about integrating the two, explaining that the F-35 and A-10 can complement each other nicely. ‘One thing I get in the F-35 and not in the A-10 is the ability to identify and geo-locate threats. I can take out that threat without it even knowing that I was there. I don’t have to depend on C2, or talk to RJ [Rivet Joint] or anyone else to find and fix a threat. I also don’t have to depend on C2 to publish a datalink threat like I did in the A-10. The F-35 does that automatically and immediately, and with very good accuracy.

I think it shows perfectly why F-35 will be excellent for so many missions. It has great ground and air situation awareness capability, far exceeding anything else flying. It has capability to know what and where everything is on the ground and in the air with very high confidence, precision and probability. On top of that it can share that information with everyone else. Automation makes the thing easy for the pilot as he doesn't have to fiddle with sensors but the system tells him and friendlies the needed information. Like they say, information and knowledge is power. Communicating the information multiplies the power. Having best missiles or largest gun is useless unless you know where the target is.

IMO, compared to A-10 (or almost all other fighter aircraft for that matter), F-35 brings several advantages for CSAR. It will have "Big SAR" wide-area high-resolution synthetic aperture radar which will give very detailed information about wide area of interest. Combined with image data coming from EOTS and EO DAS and ESM data from Barracuda, F-35 will gather very detailed view about very wide area while automatically classifying and ID'ing interesting objects or events in the area. I can imagine this kind of ability to be of huge importance for CSAR (or CAS) missions.

This ability is something basement dwellers miss. They think all aircraft in the air have similar SA all the time and combat is about who can turn tightest in prolonged sustained turn fights. Stealth is just some gimmick that is worn out as soon as real combat starts.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 10 May 2016, 14:32

Ahh David Axe

*Together
Choose Crews

by les_paul59 » 16 May 2016, 18:07

Desperate attempt by David Axe to change the narrative of last week's positive results...spin is the name of the game

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... -the-16211

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 16 May 2016, 20:29

les_paul59 wrote:Desperate attempt by David Axe to change the narrative of last week's positive results...spin is the name of the game

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... -the-16211

Lol how is this news?
Choose Crews

PreviousNext