Fuel transfer

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures

by nooby » 14 Aug 2019, 12:50

I was wondering if it was possible to transfer fuel from a full external tank into the jet with the internals and the reservoirs completely drained? Or would you have to completely refuel then defuel?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 14 Aug 2019, 14:31

Why are the externals full if the internals are empty?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by MVSGas » 14 Aug 2019, 19:25

nooby wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to transfer fuel from a full external tank into the jet with the internals and the reservoirs completely drained? Or would you have to completely refuel then defuel?

IIRC, you can. Best way is to lock the externals, build the pressure to the correct amount. Once they are pressurize, open the externals and keep an eye on fuel transfer. Obviously I'm talking about using eternal power and MC-7. It will take a bit longer with -60 to pressurize the fuel system. I think the external tank T.O. transfer check has this.I can't remember the number anymore: is it 28jg-10-1?

by jacarlsen » 15 Aug 2019, 08:53

You would need fuel in the reservoirs to get the wing pumps spinning. Only way to get the fuel out of the wings since the centerline tank feeds to the wings. Since there is air in the fwd and aft tanks the siphon system is in hydraulic lock.

by TJStoney » 18 Aug 2019, 10:37

MVSGas is right if we have external tanks installed we will leave them full and locked out. Then defuel the internal and do our fuel cell work. Then transfer the fuel out of the tanks to check for leaks.