CAP and the F16

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.

by aliqat » 07 Nov 2019, 05:17

Hello, i have a son that is a commercial pilot with a instrument rating. He is 35 and also a member of the Civil Air Patrol at the Deer Valley Airport by Scottsdale AZ. He is also an instructor there as well and works with the kids under age 18. He has been a serious fan of the F16 for over 25 years. Is there any chance for him to get a ride, and if not a up close tour of one?

Whoever can help in any way i have an un opened bottle of J. Weed.

Thank You.
Ron

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by 35_aoa » 07 Nov 2019, 07:59

Chances for a ride....basically 0. Chances for a tour of a jet on the ground, probably somewhat more. If it were me and I knew someone personally, that much would be no problem. If it were a friend of a friend or something, probably similar. If it were a random someone that contacted me on the internet, no thanks........the annoying logistics of getting them on base, and more importantly, the lack of being able to vouch that the person isn't a foreign intelligence threat, would be a non-starter for me. I don't know what civilian fields around there frequently see transient F-16 traffic, but I would say that striking up a conversation in the FBO (if he found himself in such a situation) and asking politely to see the jet would probably be the most efficient way of seeing one up close. I've shown plenty of folks my steed in similar situations. Or he could go to an airshow with an F-16 static display. That's literally the reason we do such things.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 07 Nov 2019, 17:27

My son is in CAP squadron 302! small world.

A few years ago at the Scottsdale Air Fair my son and I got to sit in the cockpit of an F-16 there on static display. The line was nearly two hours long. I had been dreaming of getting in that cockpit since I was 6, so it was well worth the wait.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by aliqat » 09 Nov 2019, 02:01

[quote="35_aoa"]Chances for a ride....basically 0. Chances for a tour of a jet on the ground, probably somewhat more. If it were me and I knew someone personally, that much would be no problem. If it were a friend of a friend or something, probably similar. If it were a random someone that contacted me on the internet, no thanks........the annoying logistics of getting them on base, and more importantly, the lack of being able to vouch that the person isn't a foreign intelligence threat, would be a non-starter for me. I don't know what civilian fields around there frequently see transient F-16 traffic, but I would say that striking up a conversation in the FBO (if he found himself in such a situation) and asking politely to see the jet would probably be the most efficient way of seeing one up close. I've shown plenty of folks my steed in similar situations. Or he could go to an airshow with an F-16 static display. That's literally the reason we do such things

Thank You for taking the time to provide a clear and concise answer. In addition thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedoms. Ron. aliqat

by aliqat » 09 Nov 2019, 02:03

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:My son is in CAP squadron 302! small world.

A few years ago at the Scottsdale Air Fair my son and I got to sit in the cockpit of an F-16 there on static display. The line was nearly two hours long. I had been dreaming of getting in that cockpit since I was 6, so it was well worth the wait.

Thank You for taking the time to answer me.

Ron. aliqat

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by fasteagle » 09 Nov 2019, 21:32

During the 2016 Nellis airshow i started talking to an F-16 crew chief standing by his plane in the static area, he took me for a walkround, including underneath in the gear bays, popped open panels etc. That's probably the way to go. Show interest in them and their job, especially if you are in the flying business and they will give you the time.