LITENING AT vs SNIPER XR

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.

by hellmachine » 15 Sep 2009, 09:17

I've studied these two targeting pods but I don't know differences between these.

Which targeting pod is better?

Banned

by geogen » 15 Sep 2009, 10:31

The G4 appears to be advertised as a notch above. Naturally, the XR will eventually receive its own block improvement. The IRST modes will probably be next, up and coming for the major makes including ATFLIR, et al.
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

by yakuza » 15 Sep 2009, 21:29

the Sniper XR has better resolution and more range,and less drag

by ViperDude » 16 Sep 2009, 21:55

hellmachine wrote:I've studied these two targeting pods but I don't know differences between these.

Which targeting pod is better?

I don't want to say which is better they both have their plus's and minus's. First SNIPER XR no longer uses the term XR. Litening Gen 4 or G4 has not released to the field yet. Both pods do come with a switchable analog or digital video data link.

You will see USAF/ANG/AFRC continue to buy both pods, even with the new pods coming out after 2010.

Cheers,

ViperDude

by hellmachine » 17 Sep 2009, 10:19

Thanks for reply. With your explanation, it is clear to understand both targeting pods.

Have a nice day!! ^O^

Banned

by geogen » 22 Mar 2010, 04:59

Apparently the G4 is being delivered this year, if not already? Moreover, it has been demonstrated as adaptable for the Super E/F/G. I'd personally love to see a first Youtube vid of G4's reported 1024x pixel CCD operation, for comparison sake - not sure how long that wait will be though.. (you'ld think for marketing sake NG would be all over a superior G4 'mystique' factor)?

Maybe they (NG) would integrate one into a centerline fuel tank to supplement a squadron employing the AAS-42 IRST centerline? (Maybe a G4/tank system would be feasible for Eagles too)? Granted, it does look to be more draggy than the popular ATFLIR. There's a negative trade-off needing to be minimized somewhere... imho.

by ViperDude » 26 Mar 2010, 20:53

The G4 will be delivered this year to the field, it just hasnt yet as far as the F-16 is concerned. After FY2010 you will no longer be able to buy SNIPER or Litening pods. Now what you will be able to buy is the newer pod called ATPSE, which is still in development and a contractor has not been choosen.

Cheers,

ViperDude

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 26 Mar 2010, 22:47

ATPSE?

Advanced Targeting Pod - Special Edition? With gold plated trim? That acronym is not very google friendly. I can't find any info on it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by cywolf32 » 26 Mar 2010, 23:17

"Aquisition, Tracking and Pointing System Emulator" is the closest thing I found.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 27 Mar 2010, 00:48

having flown with both, sniper is waaaaaaayyyyyyy better. Better range, better a-a capes etc. The only drawback to sniper is that you have to know that you are looking through a "soda straw". I.E if you are right on top of the target and the coordinates are off...you may not see the target in the pod right away. In my humble opinion, litening is better for CAS and sniper is better for AI or A-A.

Banned

by geogen » 27 Mar 2010, 06:00

deadseal wrote:having flown with both, sniper is waaaaaaayyyyyyy better. Better range, better a-a capes etc. The only drawback to sniper is that you have to know that you are looking through a "soda straw". I.E if you are right on top of the target and the coordinates are off...you may not see the target in the pod right away. In my humble opinion, litening is better for CAS and sniper is better for AI or A-A.

Thanks for that first hand insight, ds. I'd be curious then as to your 'comparative' opinion after flying with the G4?? Maybe there have been some substantial upgrades, maybe it's mostly advertising.. Just saying that on paper, it would seem to be a different capability? E.g., is 1024x pixel all that more potentially superior than say, 512x640 resolution? (assuming the right coordinates are applied)?

Re: ATPSE...

I'm pretty sure there will still be Sniper systems offered and/or other makes as well, after FY10. Maybe there will be a new common FLIR/IRST pod available on the market sometime in the future, but that still won't prohibit competitor models from being developed/available, assuming there is a market system still in place?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 27 Mar 2010, 11:32

I doubt ill ever be able to fly with the G4 so sorry :). The air force has run out of money after the f-22 and we are hurtin for new equipment. I fear that the next best thing is going to be the f-35 in oh 5 years at the earliest. (If that doesn't get crushed by congress too.)

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Conan » 27 Mar 2010, 16:35

geogen wrote:Apparently the G4 is being delivered this year, if not already? Moreover, it has been demonstrated as adaptable for the Super E/F/G. I'd personally love to see a first Youtube vid of G4's reported 1024x pixel CCD operation, for comparison sake - not sure how long that wait will be though.. (you'ld think for marketing sake NG would be all over a superior G4 'mystique' factor)?

Maybe they (NG) would integrate one into a centerline fuel tank to supplement a squadron employing the AAS-42 IRST centerline? (Maybe a G4/tank system would be feasible for Eagles too)? Granted, it does look to be more draggy than the popular ATFLIR. There's a negative trade-off needing to be minimized somewhere... imho.

Litening pods can be carried on the centreline hard point...

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/downloa ... 6_0017.jpg

A RAAF Hornet at the recently completed, Red Flag...

Whether or nor you'd want to try and integrate it into a fuel tank, I'm not sure...

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 27 Mar 2010, 19:43

deadseal,
In less than five years you will have a different president and probably a completely different legislative branch. I see the economy improving too. Cheer up dude!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 28 Mar 2010, 01:58

discofishing wrote:deadseal,
In less than five years you will have a different president and probably a completely different legislative branch. I see the economy improving too. Cheer up dude!

I know. your right :)

Next